2018 State of Ham Radio Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Mar 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Support appreciated from all sources.

KK5R likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No,

Not talkin about Elmer's. Talking about extending, not imparting.

They don't want a history book. They want to make history. We do a poor job of that --overall--IMO. Was a time that crackin nu was phat and fresh.

As they say....

Your opinion may differ,

3. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KN4AVP

KN4AVP Ham Member QRZ Page

KN4AVP
    I grew up in Grants Pass. My thinking is still influenced by that wonderful experience.

W4RAV likes this.
  5. K2SDS

K2SDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It goes far beyond foul language unfortunately. Broadcasting, jamming, harassment etc. Sad. It's only going to get worse if those blatant violations are not enforced.

KK5R likes this.
  6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Staff Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Harassment is not an FCC violation. Foul language is not an FCC violation. People acting like idiots on the air and discussing subject matter you don't like to hear is also not an FCC violation. ...Get over it. (I don't like it either... but that's just how it is)

Making complaints about these two matters are an entirely pointless endeavor because they are not Part 97 violations regardless how you might personally feel or object to them doing so.

Any broadcasting and jamming are indeed FCC violations. Do you have any documented proof of this?

Enforcement starts with you! ...Proof means time stamped recordings clearly demonstrating the violation occurring and the call signs of the violators are included in the recordings.

Submission of violation recordings require a special procedure using the proper channels. Are you prepared to follow though correctly? Are you contacting the right people?

Most people like to bitch and complain about what they don't like hearing on the air (mostly on ham radio websites like this one) regardless if it's an actual very specific part 97 violation or not, however very few people are actually prepared to take the time required to collect the needed documentation according to specific protocols and procedures as required by the FCC.

Bottom line is whining and complaining does absolutely nothing whatsoever.... Action and proper documentation is required if you want to fix anything. That's the reality of the situation and just how it works. Anything else is just white background noise and it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. K2SDS

Thank you. I agree 100% Aside from the recommendations for obtaining proof you have listed, I have not seen a clear procedure published to pursue submissions of violations. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. You Tube is filled with examples of violations but that's where it ends. Many times the violators do not use call signs or they are unintelligible. ARRL's take is to just "turn the vfo". If there isn't one already, there should be a published method for pursuing gross violations, laying out the "special procedures using the proper channels". It shouldn't be so complex as to discourage the process.
    On another note: The amateur radio community is encouraging our youth and children to get involved in the hobby, which I think is great. But who wants their kids listening to the crap happening on HF?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  8. K2SDS

Seems the FCC reporting page is geared towards consumer complaints against Amateur radio and not FCC part 97 violations within the amateur radio community itself. Currently the Official Observer program is undergoing revamping and from what I have gathered this should be the starting point for reporting violations. FCC would be the last stage after the process winds its way through the ARRL. Will be interesting to see what changes are made to the OO program. Hopefully will improve the process of getting results. Regardless - virtually impossible for anyone without direction finding equipment to locate unidentified stations jamming the bands. It is what it is.

KK5R likes this.
  9. AC2BX

AC2BX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

good survey. Interesting results

10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Simple cure. The ARRL should move the W1AW BROADCASTS to 7.200.

KK5R, K2SDS, KF5RRF and 1 other person like this.