ad: portazero-1

1st IRLP CONTEST TROPHY

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by VK3KXW/SK2023, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. Results of The First International IRLP Contest are in and
    The BASS AMATEUR RADIO IRLP GROUP-Australia
    in conjunction with The CHESSAPAEKE AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE-USA
    and KG4ZXK are proud to announce the winners.

1st place went to ZR6JEB-Jane from South Africa node 8467 with a total score of 370 contacts.
    Jane will soon be receiving the Trophy which she assures me will be on display in a prominent place in her house.

2nd was VK3JBO-Graham from Australia node 6391 with 229 contacts. Certificate.

3rd was WB7OTQ-Bruce from the USA node 4865 with 152 contacts. Certificate.

4th was W2SBI-Don - USA node 4865. 137 contacts. Certificate.

link page

thank-you to all who participated 1st IRLP International

Blog Communities

Well as far as the 1st contest goes...thank-you to all who participated in the 1st IRLP International Contest.My thanks to all the node and reflector owners who gave their permission for the use their stations. In particular those operators who joined in on the fun. Also thanks to all who sent emails to us with their full support.Here I would like to mention the ARRL..WIA and those Clubs and individuals who supported the contest before, during and after the event. Particular attention to VK3HAG-Ashley and NL7R-Dennis. The administration teamhere in Australia and the USA who gave their all to make this contest a success. VK4JAA-Terry. Sponsor for the trophy and Clive Garaway of Fox Trophies for the design. Now let's not forget the unknown supporters (you and many other amateur radio operators...thank you all).On behalf of the administration team: VK3JBO-Graham..VK3KXW-Roly WB7OTQ-Bruce....KG4ZXK- Keith  Thank You

IRLP - KEEPING THE RADIO IN AMATEUR RADIO !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL IRLP CONTEST
    Bass Amateur Radio Irlp Group Inc
    IRLP NODE 6391

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!!!

1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL IRLP TROPHY CONTEST

STAY TUNED FOR THE 1st AUSSIE - AMERICAN IRLP INTERNATIONAL CONTEST COMING. THIS IS A JOINT VENTURE WITH THE BASS AMATEUR RADIO IRLP GROUP AUSTRALIA NODE 6391 and THE CHESAPEAKE AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE USA & 4865 Portsmouth, VA  www.KG4ZXK.com & The Bass Amateur Radio IRLP Group

in a joint venture with an American Club  CHESAPEAKE AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE USA  are currently putting together an IRLP contest together.
    What is required from IRLP Operators and Node Owners is there ideas for such a contest. The BARIRLPG has a sponsor who will donate a trophy every year to the winner.

The US side will manage the contest. The Australian sponsor has asked the Group with the joint venture club out of America to put it all together.
    Remembering that it will be for IRLP only and no other modes. So as not to have any delays to your replies  please send them in  to The Bass Amateur Radio IRLP Group.
    PO Box 2280, ROSEBUD PLAZA, ROSEBUD
    VICTORIA, Zip 3939, AUSTRALIA
    email to IRLPcontests@bassirlp.cjb.net

For more detail pls check our website out
    bassirlp

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Written by KG4ZXK.com
    4865 Portsmouth, VA USA www.KG4ZXK.com    

Sunday, 13 February 2005  

1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL IRLP CONTEST 2005

THE CONTEST IS FOR IRLP MODE ONLY

RULES:  

The contest will be held starting MARCH 18 at 0001 GMT and ending APRIL 17 2359 GMT

POINTS WILL BE AWARDED AS FOLLOWS-

1. 1 point for a contact with someone not in the contest in your own country
    2. 2 points for a contact with someone in the contest in your own country
    3. 2 points for a contact with someone in another country who is not in the contest
    4. 3 points for contact with someone in the contest in another country
    5. 5 points for contact with single node countries and special event stations such as the International Space Station etc

6. The following information must be included in your log
                 NAME
                 QTH
                 NODE #
                 CONTACT NUMBER-I.E.- You are number 001
                 Any contacts without this information will be counted as a single point contact.

7. At present the logging program that will be used will be DXKEEPER, which is available free, on line.
    8. For those without computers, paper logs will be sent to BRUCE DEHN
                                                                                       306 CRIPPLE CREEK CT.
                                                                                       V.A. BEACH, V.A. USA
    Logs should be sent in within 30 days of the end of the contest.

9. No duplicates allowed. one contact per callsign.
    10. All nodes and reflectors may be used as long as the node/reflectors allow. persons who abuse this privilidge will be disallowed from the prizes.
    11. Only voice communications allowed. (Maybe next year we will allow other modes)

12. Electronic logs are to be emailed to apostle465@netscape.net for disposition. (keep a copy of your logs for your own records)

13 Please include as much information as possible in your logs if you want an accurate count. again, please note with each entry, what you think the point count should be for that contact.
    14. All amateur radio rules and regulations apply especially any involved with nodes/reflectors.

TRY AND KEEP TO THE RULES AND DON'T ABUSE THE NODES/REFLECTORS.
    HAVE FUN AND HELP PROMOTE IRLP 'KEEPING THE RADIO IN AMATEUR RADIO' AS A VIABLE METHOD OF COMMUNICATIONS

1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL IRLP CONTEST 2005
    Rules are posted in the   FAQ section of site. (#) Home - KG4ZXK.COM
    kg4zxk com

2. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just what is considered to be the 'contest' aspect of any IRLP contact?[​IMG]?

Dennis [​IMG]

3. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

"Keep the radio in Amateur Radio"[​IMG] WADDAHEL? Now I've seen it all, bad enough the contests keep other Amateurs off the bands on weekends but now they're keeping us off the Internet. (;->) Tongue-in-cheek of course, but seriously what's going on here? This is the living end, a contest to see who can make the most glorified autopatch telephone calls in a given period of time.

Sign me disgusted to the max, KB2VXA

4. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

IRLP has some definite uses, but contests are not one of them.

5. KG4ZXK

KG4ZXK Ham Member QRZ Page

The thought behind the contest was to see how many folks could make contacts around the world via IRLP. It's not a weekend contest where everyone is trying to work pileups. It's a 30 day period for folks to connect around the world and see who they get. It's also a way to increase traffic on some of the slower IRLP systems located around the globe.

I am actually surprised by the number of emails from folks who are interested in seeing this take off.

Just think how many people were disgusted when FM repeaters were first put on the air. I believe they heard "It's the end of Amateur Radio."

6. W5MJL

I think IRLP is a great idea because it can allow you to make contacts with people who used to live in your area but have now moved, or for the people who do not have an hf license and want to talk with other areas of the country and/or world.

There is however, no satisfaction or achievement whatsoever IMO, on having a contest for contacting people on a repeater hooked to the internet. It would be like having a contact contest in an aol chatroom. Who cares?

I get my satisfaction from knowing it was my radio going over the airwaves being received by someone elses radio in another part of the world. My antenna, my knowledge of the propagation conditions etc. etc etc.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against IRLP. I hope its popularity increases, but enough with the contests. Sorry for my ranting, but it just makes no sense to me.

7. KG4ZXK

That's what a lot of people complain about when they want to use HF on the weekend and there are tons of contesters everywhere (ha ha).

It's not as easy as it sounds, however. There are several areas of the world that I have called up on IRLP and no one was there at that time. Especially in China and the Antartic. So there is some work that will have to be done to get someone on some of these systems.

Hey. This is only for people that want to try it. I can tell you that we are getting tons of emails in favor of it. I'm really surprised by the volume.

It's going to be interesting to see how it all works out [​IMG]

With a hobby that everyone says is losing members I think this is a mode that can be used to get people introduced into the hobby and then we can introduce them to all the other fine modes such as CW, HF, etc. We have to open the door for them somewhere. I have actually gotten a few kids interested when one said "Why do I need ham radio I got the internet." When I said well we use the internet too, they stopped and they listened.

Take care

8. W5MJL

Very good points. I want to see ham radio regain it's popularity and if something like this is helpful in bringing in new hams then I would have to be for it. Who knows, with bpl coming, irlp may be our only choices in the future.

9. KB2VXA

Hi ZXK and all,

"There are several areas of the world that I have called up on IRLP and no one was there at that time. Especially in China and the Antartic."

Well, uh DUH!

It would be interesting to see this trophy, a statuette of someone talking on a cell phone writing in a logbook strapped to a stand attatched to his belt?

OK, repeaters weren't the end of the world and IRLP won't be either but using non radio means for Amateur comms isn't Amateur Radio, it's Amateur Internet. Sure, fine for idle chit-chat but frankly there are some who think it's DX, some want QSL cards and now some are contesting on the telephone. Some sort of creeping insanity or at least the dilusional thinking it's radio.

73 de Warren still using RF KB2VXA

10. KG4ZXK

Sorry.

Out of my control...

Momentum is carrying this thing.

Not the end of the world. Don't have a heart attack. Life is short. I work for a living so I just sit and see where the chips fall.

11. lol

12. KB2VXA

Hi land line lids,

"1st ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL IRLP CONTEST
    Bass Amateur Radio Irlp Group Inc
    IRLP NODE 6391"

Quite an oxymoron unless that brass isn't a key as in "you've got a lot of brass". I'll go with the latter.

"THE CHESAPEAKE AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE USA"

Another oxymoron, it took a lot of brass calling themselves a radio service.

"5. 5 points for contact with single node countries and special event stations such as the International Space Station etc"

What's the telephone number of the ISS?

"DXKEEPER"

Since when are log distance telephone calls considered DX except when you get your bill?

"CRIPPLE CREEK"

Yeah, it IS pretty lame.

"TRY AND KEEP TO THE RULES AND DON'T ABUSE THE NODES/REFLECTORS."

I can't think of any NOT to abuse the whole darn Internet with all this SPAM, think about it. The headroom bandwidth now is only 20% so how much will it shrink with all that circuit overload? You can't use any but the WARC bands during a major contest so now they want to cripple the internet with a sponsored DoS attack!

"HELP PROMOTE IRLP 'KEEPING THE RADIO IN AMATEUR RADIO' AS A VIABLE METHOD OF COMMUNICATIONS"

I can't figure out if that's an oxymoron or A BALD FACE LIE!

"It's not a weekend contest where everyone is trying to work pileups."

Welllll, DUH! How can you get a pileup when the system only allows one at a time? You need operating skills, patience and perseverence to get through a pileup and it's a challenge. Where is any of this found in making a telephone call by whatever means?

"Just think how many people were disgusted when FM repeaters were first put on the air."

And they didn't and many never use repeaters, I rarely use them myself and only when needed. I see no need for IRLP or any other non radio Amateur communication so like many I never use it. And they wonder about all the disused nodes.

"I think IRLP is a great idea because it can allow you to make contacts with people who used to live in your area but have now moved, or for the people who do not have an hf license and want to talk with other areas of the country and/or world."

There you have it, remove all incentive to learn Morse and upgrade, or like daddy used to say, "BE SOMEBODY". Now check out the very next statement.

"There is however, no satisfaction or achievement whatsoever IMO, on having a contest for contacting people on a repeater hooked to the internet. It would be like having a contact contest in an aol chatroom. Who cares?"

Note the slick qualifying phrase. Here it is without it, compare.

There is however, no satisfaction or achievement whatsoever IMO (in)contacting people on a repeater hooked to the internet. It would be like having a contact contest in an aol chatroom. Who cares?

"I get my satisfaction from knowing it was my radio going over the airwaves being received by someone elses radio in another part of the world. My antenna, my knowledge of the propagation conditions etc. etc etc."

So why in favor of IRLP? Man, you're a walking contradiction!

"Don't get me wrong, I am not against IRLP. I hope its popularity increases, but enough with the contests. Sorry for my ranting, but it just makes no sense to me."

YOU don't make sense to ME.

OK, enough picking the poor guy apart, I'll let the vultures and jackals pick the bones of Amateur Radio when it dies. As much as I love it sometimes you just have to say goodbye and move on, I was a rail fan long before 1995.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.