ad: Schulman-1

"How to Win Successful HOA Tower/Antenna Approval"

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by N7ENS, Mar 23, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N7ENS

N7ENS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After years of trying to put up a tower and beam antenna in a HOA environment, I have finally succeeded and am on the air with their blessing! This is how I did it.

I have been asked by Larry, KF7XC, to share how this happened with the goal of helping other HAMS to succeed in a normally tower-resistant HOA world.

The plan was to apply using 4 major areas:

1- Political
    2- Education
    3- Electronically
    4- Environmental

After reading the CC and R’s to see what was in them (DO THIS!), I formulated a plan so that it was not threatening, followed guidelines (if any) and proved I was neighbor friendly.

1- Politically - I arranged a meeting with the Architectural Committee to discuss what I was trying to do. They had no idea what HAM radio was and what was involved. They got their eyes opened. I discussed with my nearby neighbors what I was going to do and they had no objections. I leaned heavily on emergency communications. It did not hurt that I had the backing of my local Congressional representative.

2 - Educational - By teaching why I wanted to put up a tower/antenna. Our neighborhoods would benefit from increased safety and security with emergency communications. I would provide communications for the neighborhood in the event of a natural disaster, fire, cell towers going down or hopefully not, a war or civil order breakdown. I had a generator on site if the power goes out.

I explained my qualifications and experience by providing a few examples: Licensed Amateur Radio Operator, General class, with the FCC registered call sign of N7ENS, been a HAM radio operator for over 40 years, licensed emergency operator with the REACT organization (Radio Emergency Associated Communication Teams) assisting local, state and Federal agencies with communications. An example of this was my local HAM radio club, South West Idaho Amateur Radio Club, recently provided emergency comms for the Gowen Air Show for the Idaho Air National Guard and the Boise Police. We are all volunteers.

3- Electronically – I provided color pictures of the equipment I was planning to put up along with tower height and antenna size. I assured them that I would not be interfering with their televisions or radios.

4 -Environmental – I showed the Board that the tower was tubular not triangular. This stopped several objections. I showed them where the tower base was going to go, how the tower/antenna was to be erected and taken down, how it was to be built and what it was to be built of. Along with the tower/antenna pictures, they got the idea of its overall size and dimensions so there would be a minimum of misunderstandings.

The goal was to answer any questions they may have had, was going to have and prevent any misunderstandings. I informed them that I was available for any and all questions and submitted my plan which they approved. IT CAN HAPPEN! I sincerely hope this helps you get your tower/antenna up with your HOA.

Joe Smaldino
    N7ENS

Attached Files:

W2DNA and KQ4GUI like this.
  2. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your achievement.
    I hope you don't have any problems.
    Neighbours don't like the look of "Ugly ferrite"

N7ENS likes this.
  3. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or before you buy, let the Real Estate Agent know you're an Amateur Radio Operator! Ain't no one telling me what to do at my homestead!! SOME STATES GIVE YOU A HOMESTEAD BREAK ON PROPERITY TAXES!

KF7XC and N7ENS like this.
  4. KF7XC

KF7XC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good work, Joe! Until congress or individual states pass a law limiting Amateur radio restrictions, each Ham and local club need to formulate a plan. As Joe has proven, patience and diplomacy can often win the battle. - Larry KF7XC