ad: CQMM-1

New Linux Gnome Logging Software

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KL5IS, May 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KL5IS

KL5IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey everyone! I have been working on some logging software now for some time that is specifically targeted at a simple logging software with complex features designed to work well and look native to Linux systems.
    Up to this point I have be designing it with GTK3 and Python using my own file structure and distribution methods.
    However, as it gets more complex I am finding that my style (adopted from a base design from a time when I knew less about python) is not going to work for me as I wanted.
    In addition to this there are some key functions that GTK3 does not have that I will need for a planned system for deep integration with Qrz. So due to these setbacks I have decided to scrap my GTK3 build even though a port (or redesign) to GTK4 is going to be a lot of work and will probably set me back a year or so since I have school and work as well I still feel it is worth it.
    I am going to keep the GTK3 version available because I am hoping that some of you will try it and give me some feedback on the layout of the interface and maybe even grab some interested persons to help out on the GTK4 version when it is ready to release on GitHub for work.

the download link for the GTK3 is: https://github.com/FalurePoint/LoggiX
    to install it extract the zip file and open the folder it extracted to, rightclick on "install.sh" and find "allow executing" and check it, now open a terminal in that folder and type: ./install.sh and follow the prompts to finish.

the program will install to /home/<username>/.local/share/applications/LoggiX/
    you will find the log file (.hlfv2) and settings file (.con) in the assets folder and a debug.txt in the main directory.
    most peripheral fuctions (i.e setting, Export as Cabrillo, website link, ect) will not work but the core logging and dupe checking should work fine.

So far all of the Python is by myself,
    the install and uninstall .sh files are by Daniel, NC8R.
    And the artwork and logo are by Carlos, KO4ZKS.
    And my thanks to both of them!

Let me know what you all think about it! please! I want my actual release when I get it in the works to be a success and that depends on knowing what is wanted!
    And if you think you can help and are interested I can really use it!
    Especially if you know anything about developing for Gnome with GTK4 and Gnome Builder because I am having a lot of trouble with it!

Thanks! and 73! I look forward it checking in during these next few days and seeing what input the Linux Ham community has about it!

PY2NEA, KN4ULD, WD5GWY and 1 other person like this.
  2. KN4ULD

KN4ULD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info!

3. NI0F

NI0F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, running Mint Cinnamon, don't have Gnome installed. Python3 reports this:
    ron@rp5700-1:~/.local/share/applications/LoggiX$ python3
    Python 3.10.6 (main, Mar 10 2023, 10:55:28) [GCC 11.3.0] on linux

and I see this when running main.py as my user:
    ron@rp5700-1:~/.local/share/applications/LoggiX$ ./main.py
    ./main.py: line 2: import: command not found
    ./main.py: line 3: from: command not found
    ./main.py: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `"Loading new instance...",'
    ./main.py: line 4: `debug.report("Loading new instance...", display_location=False)'

I will get a native Gnome using distro set up to test, I usually run Debian.

4. NI0F

Ok, sorry got it. Haven't played too much with python, using python3 main.py launches the program. Doh.

5. NI0F

Just playing around with QSO entry, we need to be able to hit Enter either in likely last edited fields (or maybe any field) to log the QSO.
    Make the log search field visible in main interface.
    At some point it wrote out a .log file that looks like cabrillo, I didn't do it although I took the menu option just to see what was there.

6. NI0F

Ok, going to shut up now. I see that a double Enter on the logging entry area does log the QSO.

7. KL5IS

Yes, sorry I have been without internet for the last week.
    So your right ctrl key will auto-focus the callsign entry and will move thru the serial # and exchange entry's respectively and log it on the last enter but make sure it is in contest mode first.

Please, keep the input coming... I can't develop this to be useful without input!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  8. KL5IS

Also, as a thanks for the response and because I want to get it out, here is a mock up of what I have in mind for the new LoggiX 44" look...

This is not functional code, just a one size only mock up of the GUI interface.
    What I have in mind the the pane to the left being collapsible and having a auto search with qrz built in so it shows the opt. primary photo and some of the bio (without photos)
    and I want to put the search bar in the bottom of it.
    I also wan to make it be something that can be disabled in contest mode to keep it from becoming a distraction.
    The user icon next to the window controls will be used for logging in to qrz.com as I want to make this version able to use qrz as a sync/backup system for all logs (the "deep integration" I had in mind when I first posted it)
    at least for causal mode.

Here it is... Lets see some input from more then one person this time! I want to make this something usable so now is the chance to mention that thing you always wished a logging program had!
    [​IMG]

SM6USS likes this.