ad: wmr-1

Radio Scouting at Oldest Boy Scout Camp in the US

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Aug 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2DS

K2DS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's how I got my start in Ham Radio 65 years ago..

W1YW, W4ABC and N8TN like this.
  2. WS4BSA

WS4BSA Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Merit Badge is still a popular Badge to get. JOTA 2022 is October 14-16. JOTA (Jamboree On The Air) is a yearly world Jamboree. Radio has never left scouting. WS4BSa

W4ABC likes this.
  3. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought the Boy Scouts had to liquidate their assets to pay off litigation expenses and restitution to the 90,000+ plaintiffs.

K3XR likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clarify...some may not have heard...

BSA 'Scouting' is no longer 'Boy Scouts'. The organization retains d/b/a BSA .

However--

Scouting is co-ed and there are no longer any 'Boy Scout Camps'.

Scouting is for youth irrespective of gender, that, as it always has, builds values, self worth, and confidence as future leaders.

My son, and Eagle Scout from 2010, looks back fondly on his scouting experience, as do many thousands of hams.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  5. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

20 years as an adult leader, Cub Master, Scout Master, plus a few others. MB counselor including radio. Troop had a club WW3TI and we had a few JOTA setups.
    There are a number of XnBSA calls out there.
    Be looking for you.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    W1YW likes this.
  6. WB0M

WB0M Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WB0M

WB0M Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the Radio Merit Badge is alive and well. Part of the requirements includes getting Scouts on-the-air using ham radio or even fox-hunting. While there never was a "Ham Radio Merit Badge", but there was the "Wireless MB", which became the Radio MB. Our group, the Mid-America Scouting Groups, had good success getting Scouts on the air as part of the classes at summer camp at Camp Cedars (Nebraska).
    73 & YiS,
    Jeff/wb0m
    KN0BSA trustee
    'I used to be a Bobwhite"

KF0FBK likes this.
  8. NA5XX

NA5XX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The BSA did not have a Ham Radio Merit Badge. It is called Radio and is still offered. The scout can choose the option of broadcast radio, amateur radio or shortwave listening.

9. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been hoping to find you on 17m this weekend, conditions have been marginal but possible !!
    Thanks for a great expedition to K7K !!

10. KC2SST

KC2SST Ham Member QRZ Page

TMR is neither the oldest or largest Scout camp in the US. Still a lovely place to camp, though.

11. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

12. W3DO

W3DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen

Digital modes may have it's place, but not on a special event station.

13. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We found that kids got into PSK31 and other "typing" modes, as it is like sending a text message. Some are a bit mic-shy, but don't have any problem typing messages.

14. K2PH

K2PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I spent some summers at TMR. Provisional at Camp Kernochan and Troop wilderness camping at Davis Lake. Both of which no longer exist, I believe. Long time ago, took my Novice exam there in 1960.

15. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds fun.
    I would be happy if I could communicate from WIRES.
    73 JF1IRQ