ad: Retevis-1

An Inverted-L EFHW Antenna for Summits On The Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Nov 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

K7WXW and I did two Joint-Activations on the ridges across from Mount Hood in Oregon. K7WXW prefers using an Inverted-L EFHW antenna for his SOTA outings. He explained why it's his go-to antenna and works for him.

Was a fun outing with *some* views. We were in fog and clouds for a lot of the day.

73 de Tim N7KOM

VK3SQ, K9EZ, N4OKN and 7 others like this.
  2. N7PHI

N7PHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

very cool! What do you use for your 2m antenna on the mast?

IS0HXK and N7KOM like this.
  3. N7KOM

4. N7PHI

N7PHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!

5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m so envious! (CW, Country, Roscoe, i have a long list) love love love your videos and your country but most of all Roscoe! Keep it up and stay safe Tim. The time you take to produce this footage is really appreciated.

N7KOM likes this.
  6. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You put Portland into a different light for the of the world

NL7W likes this.
  7. KJ7WT

KJ7WT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What mode were you using for 2m SOTA? The audio didn't seem to have any "Donald Duck", so I'm assuming FM? Also, do you use a "standard" frequency when doing SOTA? Do other stations have some way of knowing when you are going to a particular peak?

8. N7KOM

Yes, FM for those HTs. As far as a "standard frequency"... in the PNW we tend to use 146.58 as our main 2m frequency for SOTA activations. In the rare case that there is already activity on it, 146.56 is the typical backup. If we're really hurting for the 4 QSOs needed for points, we'll drop down to 146.52 and try to break into the ragchew as a "mountaintop portable" station.

We use https://sotawatch.sota.org.uk/en to let Chasers know when and where we plan on being out. 73!

9. AJ2I

AJ2I XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Job and beautiful activation spots! Stay Safe

N7KOM likes this.
  10. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He did what?

11. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job guys! Love the activation videos! Pleaae keep them up! K9EZ

N7KOM and 2E0TWD like this.
  12. N7KOM

Thanks! 73!

13. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had years of personal experience using a high-power 40M EFHW using a L-network and high-power components inside an ammo can. It was also half vertical and half horizontal, with six or eight roughly quarter-wave wires laying on the ground as a counterpoise.

It worked great. I ran an Alaskan 40M daily net with it for a few years with 600 to 700 Watts feeding it. The radiation was a mix of low and high angle, and it accounted for itself quite well. Nary a problem with that wire antenna.

N7KOM likes this.
  14. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm currently using an 80M (132') EFHW inverted L and it is my favorite antenna. Mine is home-brew, staked to the ground with a couple of counterpoise wires in either direction. From there, it goes up about 35', over my roof, and over to a tree. I operate almost entirely QRP CW and I seem to do very well in various events. I recently did an SKCC event and cleaned up pretty well in the QRP class, despite getting in a half hour late. It has made into a big proponent of the EFHW in general, and the inverted L installation in particular.

K1XS, NL7W and N7KOM like this.
  15. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I got to dust off my transmitters, what a delightful video, nice and clean CW TNX Fer taking us along. 72'
    P.S. enjoyed the Hill music, goes with what I play on my Banjo.

N7KOM likes this.