ad: UR5CDX-1

How long can we POTA before the Bioenno dies?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Mar 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4SIJ

W4SIJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

“Hey what’s up?” is a perfect casual greeting.

KF7PCL, KN6NWZ, K1BQY and 1 other person like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have a Bioenno 30ah battery and it weighs a tad under 9 pounds---amazing little powerhouse that I've used with my K3 at 50-100 watts sideband. I wear out long before the battery does!

Worth every penny and then some...

Jeff

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Callum's creations are pretty neat and well-made; I have home-brewed two fan verticals (10-15-17-20 and 17-20 meters)that I elevate several or more feet instead of ground mounting, though. For portable ops I use the 17/20m fan with two opposing radials on each side and right over saltwater (got to love 6db of saltwater enhancement when it's available!). I also use a steel soil tamper as a base which the antenna (on a fiberglass pole)n slips over and holds it upright.

While some do use a fully loaded DX Commander for portable stuff I would think that a scaled-down version would also be easier to transport, set up and break down in most situations (maybe for long-term camping the DXC would be the perfect choice otherwise).

Jeff

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Annoying Orange - Annoying Orange Wazzup - Bing video

US7IGN likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Its almost like language usage changes from generation to generation. Shocking, I know!

M0TTQ, KI5AAI and US7IGN like this.
  7. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Video gun to watch..73

8. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Great to see you two having fun with ham radio and sharing it with us. I just purchased the Bioenno 30 AH for emergency and portable activation. I read nothing but good things about their batteries.

9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

"Hey guys, what is up?" seems to be standard "You tube' talk for Hello or Greetings. I also note that uttobers consistently refer to their audience as "guys". Waiting for the SJW to attack....

Otherwise, fun video & I appreciate the time to record/edit/post for everyone else. Since I'm otherwise hip deep in show, its going to be a while before I can get out to the local parks...

K9GLS likes this.
  10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

As the only male in this house (I have two daughters, both teens, and a wife), I frequently refer to them collectively as "guys", as in "hey guys, what do you want for dinner?". In that mode of usage, it's not gender-specific. It has been commonly used in that manner by folks for a couple decades or more.

Chris

US7IGN likes this.
  11. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Interactions between people are full of hypocrisy. Right at the beginning you greet somebody by asking questions knowing that by the etiquette, they should never be answered (honestly) at all. I just get used to it in English somehow, but I like "hello" or something similar much better, too. If I ask something, I'm curious at the answer. :)

Besides the negative effects of this world being that crowded, the today's so called culture is formed by the mainstream fictions full of and overloaded by aggressivity. Low knowledge, low sensitivity need strong stimulus. You can't be a star or an influencer of the crowd being significantly different from this mostly empty selfishness, and you must pick and poke and nag the others by your every word, too - that can be an origin of the changing greetings, even if you just more or less innocently accomodate to the new era.

Sorry for the off-topic, I didn't start it. :)

12. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a point to note about human interactions that people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders sometimes take the use of language very literally or interpret what are essentially "filler" phrases differently. I once had a client who I invited to "take a seat" and he wondered why I wanted to give him a chair as a gift. He actually knew I didn't mean it in that sense, as he later explained, but some others might not be familiar with the usage and find it confusing. I learned a lot from him about being careful with language when I know I am dealing with people who have ASDs. I don't see why people making Youtube videos should be obliged to think about it though.

In general, there is nothing wrong with the phrase and it is a bit much to criticise the makers of this video for use of their vernacular, which to most people will be a friendly greeting and an expression of goodwill. FWIW I use a 22Ah battery for POTA and I find I recharge it after a couple of sessions, maybe 10 hours operating in total, but I have actually not taken anywhere near the full 22Ah out even at 100W and with a lot of TX. I recently spent so long putting out long CQs on 40m on a band in poor shape that I could feel some appreciable heat in the cover of my 49:1 (and that uses an FT240-43 toroid, not one of the smaller ones).

US7IGN likes this.