ad: cq2k-1

Anatomy of an Internet Scam at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Aug 18, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NQ6U

NQ6U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, Fred, how are you enjoying the 9000D? ;)

2. KV3D

KV3D Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that one of the funniest parts is the "signature" on the passport. He tried, but I don't know anyone who uses MS Paint to sign documents.

3. WA3UTC/SK2023

WA3UTC/SK2023 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well played Fred..... Bravo! This fellow tried the same thing with me when I was selling a Flex 5000A a bit earlier last year, same names involved.... I caught on quickly to his fraudulent request. A little more scholin and he culd spl bet ter. Good work and I hope others learn from your experience.

Charlie.... WA3UTC

4. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A guy tried to sell me a $70,000 RV for $7000, I did what you did in stringing him along although not nearly as well

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I would do it for free.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KN2X

KN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new ham but have bought plenty on the internet over the years. Just wanted to say thanks to Fred and the community for keeping an eye out for everyone, that's what I like about this site. Recently purchased my first HF rig used from a ham, who I verified by talking to, and it worked out great for both of us. Thanks again for providing a great forum.

7. KK6GMN

KK6GMN Ham Member QRZ Page

Great read. Read it out loud to my wife. She loved your work. She does this exact thing with lots of folks just for the fun of string scammers on and playing with them. If you ever need someone to help on these sort of stings, my wife is your girl!

8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great post and a great service.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred--

You are amazing.

Chip W1YW

10. KA0GOA

KA0GOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for following up with this scammer and sharing. You've helped us all be more aware as to how they operate. The internet is a wonderful thing, but the biggest scam we used to have to worry about 30+ years ago in ham radio was if the post office in the DX country would steal your IRC's when QSL-ing. We've come a long way, but we are lot wiser in 2014. -- 73 -- Dave, KA0GOA

11. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member

Fred, great!

You should have asked him for the miracle "cancel" cure they gave him. Obviously it wasn't HOT Pb.

I hope you'll forward the "faked" passport to the Feds. I'm sure they'd enjoy catching up with this jerk.

12. N6JRZ

N6JRZ Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is why I refuse to deal with strangers when it come to radio gear. I only sell and buy from folks I have personally known for at least 10 years. You'll never, ever see an ad or an offer from this Ham on any for sale site be it here on QRZ or Ebay or whatever!!! Been burned once, and refuse to be burned again!!

13. N4BKT

N4BKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for taking the time to do this Fred-- I hope folks heed your advice.

14. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Appears that you missed something in the story.Radio Mart posted the picture & was not the person he was communicating with & does have their own web site & page on Facebook.Maybe I missed something as well but I did not see where this was an ebay sale so what does one have to do with the other?

Clayton
    W4KVW

15. N4MRW

N4MRW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up on this guy. Yeah, once I saw the passport and DL card I thought "did someone actually pay money for this"...moreover I was laughing my head off at the bad editing. There are a lot of scams out there that are not published because 1: People don't realize it's a con, or 2: They are afraid to admit that they got had. Reminds me of a story I read where the scammer and 'target' were in a long email chain. Kicker was that the 'target' was "Capt James T KirK, USS Enterprise". Scammer did not realize who James T Kirk was :)