ad: IslandMagic-1

Fair Radio Sales Calls it Quits

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1RC, Aug 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

IMG_0637.jpeg

Sad but not unexpected news……after more than fifty years providing us with wonderful military surplus toys Fair Radio Sales is shutting down their iconic business…..

Phil writes…
    “After being in the surplus electronic military surplus business over 50 years I
    have decided it’s time to retire and close the business. Fair Radio Sales
    has over 30,000 sq ft of electronic parts and equipment that must go.
    Over the next several months plan your visit to Fair Radio to stock up on electronic
    parts, equipment, manuals, vacuum tubes and one of a kind items at
    lower than hamfest prices. Buy an item, a pallet, or a truckload.
    Come and make a deal. Cash and carry”

https://fairradio.com/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium

Phil and his late brother were the nicest guys to deal with……… and treasures beyond description. I still have all their catalogs going back to the Fifties.
    Another piece of my youth is gone!

Michael Crestohl, W1RC

WX7JM, KD2ANN, N8ECH and 19 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Oh no :eek:

Indeed - sad but not unexpected. End of an era indeed....

:(

Dave
    W7UUU

W7XLR, KC0ZFF, KI5UXW and 6 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow

So many fun memories going by there over the years.

The XYL and I were just there in May a few day before Dayton, we had to drive up one more time.

We might have to make a early fall trip up there before closing!

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

N4FZ, K4RCW, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a small collection of their catalogs. I'm sad to hear this, but time marches on!

Anyone with any interest in the catalogs, let me know by PM.

KN6UPJ, N4FZ, AJ6KZ and 2 others like this.
  5. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair Radio started in 1947. When I became a Novice in 1974, they sent me a catalog. The equipment in there was much more interesting than the ham equipment advertised in QST. Investigating surplus equipment gave me the skills that propelled me to keep learning. There were obstacles, like building power supplies to build. I had to run to the drug store to test tubes :) You know the rest!

Early 1980's: I discovered Command Sets (ARC-5 & SCR 274N). Fair Radio had the racks, control boxes, cables; everything you needed to make them go. These radios are 80 years old now and they still work great (only conversion: cathode keying). I have over 40 years of fun with them. THANK YOU FAIR RADIO!

WB9RRU, KD8OCT, W4CDO and 6 others like this.
  6. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't understand why smaller businesses like this shut down upon retirement without at least attempting to find a buyer for the business? Surely, the brand name itself is worth something on its own. Almost seems like there is some value here that is being thrown away.

KD2ANN, N8VIL, W7XLR and 12 others like this.
  7. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I had known about this shop, I love army surplus radios.

KJ7OES, K9ATS, N3ZMX and 1 other person like this.
  8. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

I loved looking through their paper catalogs. Have a few of those hanging around here somewhere. Placed an order with them this spring for an antenna mount. Maybe another surplus business will purchase their inventory.

9. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 70's we used to buy those Navy cavity amplifiers from Fair, that we used on ATV to get about 100 watts out.
    AN 1178/GRC's........or something like that? Used a single 4CX250.
    Ken

10. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Many do try to interest a buyer, but in the case of Fair Radio and such, it is such a niche business that finding the right buyer with enough capital and access to the gov't surplus market is going to be darn difficult. Who needs a M-60 tank gunsight? Sure someone can adapt one to some civilian function, but those people are increasingly rare. Often the adult children have zero interest in the enterprise.

Banks have tightened up lending and what is the original owner's passion for the hobby and business worth? Not much, according to the ever-present MBAs.

W7XLR, K8DQ, VK7MAD and 4 others like this.
  11. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Many reasons. The retail world is much different than in years past and especially for brick & mortar businesses. MUCH harder to stay competitive and and pay the bills these days, especially if it is a narrow interest field such as this. I'm really sorry to see Fair Radio shut down also but I'm not sure if a new owner could keep it open for the long term.

N8AFT, WB4KFO, K8DQ and 2 others like this.
  12. WA5MD

WA5MD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember discovering Fair Radio Sales from reading the Low and Medium Frequency Radio Scrapbook series by Ken Cornell, W2IMB, back in the 1970s while I was in high school. Their catalogs were amazing! Ken was a LowFER on the 160-190 kHz band, and Fair Radio was the place to go for those large variable capacitors, tube bases, large coils, meter movements, and the like for low-frequency work. I always wanted to go there someday and browse - but I missed my chance. Staying in business until 2023 is a testament to their dedication.
    73 de Tim WA5MD in Dallas

PS: Does anyone remember Poly-Paks?

WA3NHK, KT2I, W1JIM and 1 other person like this.
  13. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Damn shame… thanks Mr Mike. I still have a badge for your collection.

Hank

Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  14. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

it's sad indeed.. before I was a ham, I got these Fair Radio Catalogs in the mail, would ""lust"" over the pages of stuff.. That being the early 60's..... Love that old stuff, 73 old friend k0ip

K3DGR, WA3JR and W4CDO like this.
  15. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh man that sucks!
    Another one down. We just lost our local brick n mortar electronics parts retail shop. They also had a surplus shop nextdoor that was closed more than it was open. I don't think I have anywhere local that I can drive to anymore, when all I need is a 470 ohm resistor or .22uF cap. Now it is going to have to be put on a list for a larger order over the Internet or a drive to the O.C. or L.A. from the Inland Empire in that dreaded Southern California traffic. For surplus electronics??? I don't have much of a clue, especially for kludging together QRO stuff like tube amplifiers? Fair Radio Sales was kinda the go to for that kinda high power stuff... Oil filled box capacitors, vacuum relays and variable caps, big rectifiers. Where does a average amateur experimenter find that kinda stuff for reasonable? Ukraine? The Eastern Bloc?
    eBay? Other internet sources for unique RF surplus without paying an arm and a leg along with your first born grandchildren?
    I think it's a dying breed that even keeps these places in business anymore. Wow, I assume there should be some pretty groovy one of a kind deals. It would be nice to drop in and visit before they close up 100%
    I would look for power transformers, rectifiers, big caps, big variable vacuum caps, roller inductors, and rare tubes!

KD8OCT likes this.