ad: CQMM-1

ARRL: Commercial Interests Petition FCC for High Power Allocation on Shortwave Spectrum

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NF6E, Jul 12, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NF6E

NF6E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From the ARRL dated 07/11/2023:

"The ad hoc group 'Shortwave Modernization Coalition' (SMC) petitioned the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to allow data communications on multiple bands within the HF 2 – 25 MHz range with up to 20 KW, including in bands immediately adjacent to spectrum allocated to the Amateur Radio Service. This group appears to represent high-speed stock trading interests. The FCC has assigned it RM-11953. Comments are due by July 31, 2023, and reply comments by August 15. While the petitioners exclude the amateur bands, high power operations on immediately adjacent bands are proposed. ARRL The National Association for Amateur Radio® is reviewing the petition. A copy of the petition is at: https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/1042840187330/1 (PDF)."

--
    The above article as published on the ARRL website can be found here: http://www.arrl.org/news/commercial...r-high-power-allocation-on-shortwave-spectrum

The SMC also commissioned a "Study on 2-25 MHz Band Coexistence" from an entity named Quadra Partners, LLC. I ask that those with far more knowledge than I to please review the coexistence study and share your observations. The study is included in the RM as published on the FCC website.

I hope my post spawns a productive exchange of ideas on QRZ and triggers an appropriate and effective response to the FCC RM during the open comment period.

73 de NF6E.

N7CRN, KE2BEL, KI5UXW and 4 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?find-new/124071619/posts&page=3

As stated in that post, I have no fear and have over a thousand percent confidence that our great American Radio Relay League will save us all.

And the stockbrokers are smart enough not to get on the amateur frequencies/ they don't want to be interfered with, they have big money deals that could be affected $$$$$$$

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

Last edited: Jul 12, 2023
    KF0BSQ, N5NWI, KI5UXW and 4 others like this.
  3. W2SGM

W2SGM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm; how could the average amateur’s single output-limited signal from a compromise antenna interfere with 20kW spread spectrum big guns outside the amateur bands?

NU4R, G3SEA, KD2KOS and 5 others like this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Will wait to see more info ?

G3SEA and KE0GXN like this.
  5. PY6FX

PY6FX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's true, I'm not in the US but this news is of interest to all radio amateurs in the world. I have already downloaded the document and will read it carefully. Thank you for posting the news.

KQ1X, KE2BEL, KI5UXW and 3 others like this.
  6. W6BDD

W6BDD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Foreign Interests (Ukraine, Saudi Arabia, etc.) are the groups / companies listed. Sending digital data that no one can monitor except for the NSA. 20,000 Watts on 14.350. Even if it is the degradation that they are talking about in-band it is still 6 watts next to the frequency. And, no telling how close it will be to people here in the USA. It's a bad deal.

N6CXD, KC1OCA, KF0BSQ and 11 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not requested for ham bands. Outside of ham bands.

This is for high speed hedge fund trades. Not for spy transmissions. Also, there are plenty of high powered transmissions in "adjacent bands". Already.

Not exactly a new issue people.

What's wrong with you?!

The "productive exchange of ideas" should be inclusive of UNDERSTANDING FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS outside of the ham bands. And what's on them.

OTOH, the petition is weak, for failing to detail OTHER user benefits that would result from Part 90 amendments. It asserts "innovations" but fails to describe any of them. The FCC will not go ahead just for the sake of a few hedge funds.

Finally, had it EVER occurred to ANY of you that the people who are responsible for making this happen are HAMS? Think about it.

Think about that one. Some more.

Not me, BTW.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    WB3EBN, G3SEA, M0MNE and 3 others like this.
  8. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah! It's not like a 20KW adjacent signal could ever affect someone's reciever.:confused:

KF0BSQ, KB8SKK, N4FZ and 14 others like this.
  9. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Money talks, we are just flees on an Elephant back ARRL and the FCC will be bought off, why do you think the petition was issued in april and we are just now hearing about it> ARRL knew about this in April.

KK4KYE, KF0BSQ, W5LMM and 19 others like this.
  10. VE7VXO

VE7VXO Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer to that question is well understood, we just can't talk about it here.

N7KO, VK5OHR and WA7SON like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your comment indicates absent of knowledge base on this area.

High powered transmissions exist well near HF and MF ham bands and they do not disrupt ham allocations.

Go just below the 30M band tonight. Listen.

Period.

W4DOM, WB3EBN, M0MNE and 2 others like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe money talks, but it sure wrote a crappy petition. There is nothing that begs acceptance here.

Assuming you object to it, you should be grateful the petitioners failed to make their case.

KI5UXW, W0PV and N7KO like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW...

the antennas they use weren't made by GOTHAM...

WB3EBN, WA8MEA and WB4NQF like this.
  14. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

MFJ?

KB8SKK and WA8MEA like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

My point is that the realm of HF is the expertise of HAMS.

They are not incidental to the issue. They are involved.

I know roughly a dozen experts in HF. Almost all are hams.

Assume they are trying to steer the issue AWAY from ham allocations. And since these are commercial issues, not Part 97 ones, they are very unlikely to divulge their involvement.

Why should they?

I wouldn't...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    K9YM and VK5OHR like this.