ad: MyersEng-1

Bob Heil Interview Series: #7: Bob talks about meeting Joe Walsh WB6ACU

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Apr 18, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Part Seven of our ongoing series of interviews with Dr. Bob Heil, live sound pioneer, audio guru, and top-tier Amateur Radio manufacturer.

In this video, Bob tells us how he got acquainted with rock star Joe Walsh, WB6ACU.... featuring photos Bob has taken over the years of Joe and sharing stories about his years hanging out together. This segment came about as a result of my own meeting of Joe back in 2002, and the huge Collins "Meatball" sign that I saw (and photographed as part of the cover story in the November 2002 CQ magazine) when I was at Joe's house. Very fun to hear Bob personally tell me the "other side of the story" after all these years!

Thanks to all for following along with this series. Please remember to "Subscribe" so you will get a notification when the next video goes live.

Next week's installment: SUNN amplifiers, and the "Mavis Mixer" used for The Who's "Quadrophenia" tour and movie and how Bob made things happen

Dave
    W7UUU

DK9NL, VE3EZB, W6TR and 10 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Here's the photo Bob and I mention in the interview - I shot this in April 2002 as just a "background shot" for the November 2002 CQ article but CQ ended up using it for the cover!!

It shows Joe sitting in his small library/study at his Studio City house at that time - with the Collins "Meatball" sign on the wall, that was a gift from Bob Heil!

Dave
    W7UUU

This is a scan from the actual slide used for the CQ cover

Joe in Library - Collins sign lit up.JPG

AJ6KZ, A2245, KC7HDE and 5 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow

One more Great one with Bob

Thank You

N8QQE and W7UUU like this.
  4. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

Little did you know Dave you would be talking about the "Meatball" sign over 20 years later with Bob Heil! That is a funny story!

N8QQE and W7UUU like this.
  5. W7UUU

No kidding! In the CQ interview, Joe tells his side of the story so it really went full circle!

Dave
    W7UUU

N8QQE and NZ4X like this.
  6. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Very cool!! :cool:

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, his call is WB6ACU. Joe has had quite a presence in our part of the hobby, AM on HF, and has long been considered a "Tall Ship" with strong signals and good audio.

These days, we hope to have him join us "down low" on 75 meters. Our part of the hobby finds greater elbow room, and minimal "net" activity, so that we have much more wholesome QSOs. 3695-3725+

All are invited.

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  8. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave! What a fabulous interview! Thank you so much.

You put a big smile on this ol' Deadhead's face -- not to mention that I'm also a big Porter/Dolly fan, and, of course, a huge Joe fan throughout all of his musical shenanigans over the years. James Gang Rides Again! :D

Priceless interview, and priceless memories...

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

On edit: Now where's that "really like" button? hi

W7UUU likes this.
  9. W7UUU

And obviously I do know his call... :D:D Just a finger slip

I did his first CQ interview in 2002 and spent several hours in his house, plus a long phone interview. Just a typo.

Dave

WA3VJB likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is Joe OTA these days?

11. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I last heard him before the most recent Eagles tour, so it's been quite a while.

12. K4PPZ

K4PPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife is friends with him (from touring together). Forgot he is a HAM.

13. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another great interview, Dave! Keep 'em coming!

KQ1V and W7UUU like this.
  14. W7UUU

Thank you

15. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job Dave!!

73, Jim W7RY

W7UUU likes this.