ad: Alphaant-1

80m DX WINDOW is 3.790 to 3.800 has this changed in USA !!!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by VE3ZSZ, Nov 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A DX window is not of interest to the FCC regarding licensing. There is no reason for it to be on an exam.

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Because in many countries 80 m ham privileges are very narrow, at 3.800 and below.

AD5HR likes this.
  3. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you not read post #11? That should at least explain why the "DX Window" in 75 Meters
    is 3790 to 3800. Australia has no amateur allocation above 3800.
    Few other countries have allocations exactly like ours (U.S.A)
    Want to work VK-land on 75 Meters? Upgrade!
    73 es gud DX, Jon

N3RYB likes this.
  4. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Incentive licensing...

K2HAT likes this.
  5. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's that way on 20 meters and 40 meters. Most DX call in the Extra part of the bands, a few will venture up to the General area. My Elmer warned me don't be tempted and get caught! When the Advance class was removed than was where you could get a taste of the DX world!

N3RYB likes this.
  6. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Small groups of hams claiming some right or self-claimed courtesy use of a given section of a band does not give them some magical rights.
    My personal DX window on 80 is the bottom 25 kc (shrug)
    Yours is where ever you choose to operate.
    Courtesy has nothing to do with it.
    If I am operating on any given frequency when you come along you have no right to an opinion on who I am communicating with, or why, or what mode, or anything else.
    If you jump in and complain then you are the one lacking courtesy.
    Just move along - the frequency is in use.

KD8ZWI and AA7IS like this.
  7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem with "gentlemen's agreements" is that unless you were one of the "gentlemen" there are very few ways to become aware of the agreements. Then there's the small problem that there are very few gentlemen around these days. I think that I only became aware of the 80 meter DX window thru talking with "the real DX'ers" that I met along the way... I still don't give a lot of credence to the idea of the DX window on 80.

Then there was the time when I got chewed out by a crusty old fart for actually calling CQ on 80 meters. Of course the crusty old fart never gave me HIS call sign... Just one of the many reasons why my VFO rarely if ever goes above 3800 KHz.

AB2RA and AA7IS like this.
  8. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

The "DX window" concept may be irrelevant nowadays with spotting networks providing immediate notifications of DX stations' frequencies, etc. Of course, not every ham utilizes a computer in his/her shack, nor uses a smartphone, so for some, a DX window could still be valuable.

It's a shame, though, that many long-held traditions in Amateur radio are slowly disappearing. I guess that's "progress."

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

N3RYB likes this.
  9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's briefly covered in the material for General.

10. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Moreover IARU Region 1 cannot go above 3800.

AD5HR likes this.
  11. KE4LQY

KE4LQY Ham Member QRZ Page

There are countries who's band limits stop at 3800 or below.. THATS WHY THE WINDOW IS THERE..

12. AA7IS

AA7IS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you even need to know how to copy Morse code for an extra now?
    It seems like it's easy enough to just go down and sign the papers and upgrade to extra then you can use the entire band.

13. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The concept of a DX window on 80 meters is one of those old tired things that had it's purpose at one time but is quite unnecessary today. Try to imagine a time when virtually all phone activity on 75 meters was AM, when all frequencies were available to all licensees, there were no DX spotting networks, receiver selectivity was a far cry from what it is today, and you might be able to imagine why a small portion of 75 meters was recognized as a DX window.

Besides, what's the point of a DX window, because as I learned in another recent thread, calling CQ DX is a stupid thing to do anyway.

UPDATE, NEWS FLASH
    I just got back from the DX Summit page where I did a search on the last 1,000 spots on 75 meter phone band. There were exactly 7 spots of DX stations in the DX window out of the last 1,000 spots posted. Just for some perspective on the value of a DX window.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  14. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is a DX window? A segment of a band for non-US hams? Or a segment of the band for US hams to talk to non-US hams?

15. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was originally taught it was segment of 80m that was kept clear of local chat to give a known space where people would work ssb dx on 80m. The dx window is the only place in 80m I have ever spoken to the states using ssb. Our 80m stops at 3.700. Any American or Canadian accents I have heard below 3.700 have had vk call signs. Without the dx window I would not have spoken to the states on 80.

Wia band plan 3.776 - 3.800 dx window
    Rsgb band plan 3.775 - 3.800 Priority for inter-continental telephony (SSB) operation
    Arrl band plan 3.790 - 3.800 dx window

itu region 1 3.775 - 3.800 All modes, SSB contest preferred, priority for intercontinental operaton
    itu region 2 3.775 - 3.800 Priority for intercontinental operation (DX window)
    itu region 3 3.775 - 3.800 CW, Phone, DX

VE3ZSZ likes this.