ad: Mountaingoat-1

Issue #1 - Intro to Trials and Errors

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by KF7WIS, Nov 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The user logs of QRZ have a huge number. Not my business to report on that exactly, but it's spittin' distance from a million. That means that the website has already grown past QST circulation, even counting their "pass alnng" numbers. Also, did you know that QRZ is going to be 30 years old next year? Were you EVEN aware of the "information superhighway" thirty years ago? I sure wasn't doing anything net related.

K0UO and PY2NEA like this.
  2. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been my experence that , I find old antenna books are still excellent information. The science is still correct. So , reading of what happened in the past is still good information for thr future. In other words , what someone tried in the past might help you today. Learn from their mistakes.
    Just Saying. Dave

K0UO likes this.
  3. W7DGJ

Yes, for sure. ARRL keeps updating some of those classic books with some new ideas and construction tips, but in reality I keep my old books because they are helpful today and there were a lot of great antenna designs in those. Somwhere I've even got my old ARRL "How to Be a Radio Amateur" softcover book that I carried with me during the time of my first license. Probably a lot of valid info in there, still today.

4. W7DGJ

I'm curious, though, about one thing . . . do you think that someone from ARRL, or CQ (or old 73) actually builds one of the items from accepted publications before they publish? I tend to doubt it. I had an experience one time of building something per an article and it didn't do what was expected. I was always frustrated by that. Yes, old "science" still has value, but it does have to be presented and communicated EXACTLY as required . . . not always the case!

1 person likes this.
  5. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

for sure easier to read your post here than the page I landed on after seeing qrz front page. Far less clutter here.

Gosh, bunch of things pop into my brain. However, one of the neatest gizmos was the Signalink USB interface. Game changer for digital folks with older rigs that JUST WORKS.

Happy Thanksgiving om. 73
    Jaye

6. W7DGJ

Thanks Jaye. I'll look that one up, not familiar with it. Appreciate your comment, thanks! I think the "clutter" you are referring to is the sidebar of small box ads that QRZ sells to companies. They've promised that every web page they offer will feature those, so there's nothing I can do to eliminate them. That pays the bills around here. Dave

7. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave - congratulations on your new column and great article. Looking forward to more. 73 - Eric, 4Z1UG

K0UO likes this.
  8. W7DGJ

Thank you so much Eric! I remember talking to you a few months ago about the concept and I am so glad it worked out. Talk soon I hope, Dave

K0UO likes this.
  9. K1PN

K1PN Ham Member QRZ Page

FB OM..CUAGN!

10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Most Secret War by R.V. Jones.

A very excellent book about radio in WWII.

73, Mark

K0UO likes this.
  11. W7DGJ

TNX OM!

12. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks in advance for your work on the column, Dave. Tom (WA9TDD) and I did a "Ham Radio Perspectives" video on the history of ham publications that addresses Hugo Gernsback's amazing success with radio-related publications. He was a publishing dynamo who shaped popular public views of radio. Quin, K8QS

K0UO and W7DGJ like this.
  13. NN7RM

NN7RM Ham Member QRZ Page

A very good and relatively inexpensive CW memory keyer that I a now using is the Ultra PicoKeyer. It is available from ebay and you can search for it there.

David Buell
    NN7RM

W7DGJ likes this.
  14. 2M0JVR

2M0JVR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whilst I do not have a product to expose, I'd like to bring this to your attention. Here in the UK, we have what is known as the North West Fusion Group and one of the administrators recently launched this video . Having spent many years promoting C4FM and Wires X I thought it may be helpful to new users of the mode.

15. W7DGJ

Thanks Mark!