ad: Radclub22-1

Worldwide Ham Radio Operators (2000-2022)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Mar 27, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

"so data to 2022 has been filled in with growth trend data" Really - taking your best guess? Do you even understand statistics, mean regression? Bunch of hooey.

W4DPP, ITAL7, M0MNE and 2 others like this.
  2. VK2JHK

VK2JHK Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to remember that although Australia is physically much the same size as the lower 48 states of the US, it has a population of only about 25 million. I would think number of operators per head of population in Oz would roughly match a number of countries around the world, (although I would guess still a lot lower than places like the US, Canada and the UK).

3. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually it's really low.

Australia ham to general population is 0.059%
    USA is 0.233%
    Japan is 0.304%

M0MNE, VK2JHK and AD7SK like this.
  4. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Data to 2022 has been filled up with growth trends...
    Most data only went to 2018, some 2020.... with a few exceptions like USA and Australia where it's accurate to the day that video was posted.

So analyze the years prior to 2018 and work out the average growth. It's the best you can do. Same reason why some countries aren't listed - they don't provide the data. There is nothing extremely out IMHO.

5. KG7AV

KG7AV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True. I'm seeing more and more Chinese B calls these days in the late afternoons and evenings as the Pacific Rim lights up.

W1DRV likes this.
  6. WB4DX

WB4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, with no stumbling block now (cw) there really is no reason not to upgrade. I took the extra test and missed 2 or 3 questions I forget which but nevertheless, a milestone for me.
    I did pass the advanced code and stayed there until the code was lowered to 5wpm.
    I figured why not go for it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2022
  7. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Also for our US friends - Australia's population is clustered mainly around the South East Coast with sod-all internally. We don't have easy QSO's like the US where the population is more spread out. If I want a QSO and live in Perth, the closest person to answer is almost certainly going to be in Melbourne which is 2700kms [1677 miles] away unless I get lucky and someone in Adelaide picks up [2100kms or 1300 miles]. It's basically DX without leaving the country. Yes we have countries to the west of Perth but many of them aren't English speaking which might explain why there is so much FT8 traffic especially out of Indonesia.

IZ6FXS likes this.
  8. ES1DJV

ES1DJV Ham Member QRZ Page

А где Россию дели со 130 000+ радиолюбителями?

9. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like some recruiting is in order.

Scott N7JI

10. IW2BYV

IW2BYV Ham Member QRZ Page

From the website of the Italian amateur radio association, ari.it:
    Today there are over two million licensed radio amateurs in the world, with the majority in Japan and the United States. In Europe the largest group is the German one, with over 70,000 radio amateurs, followed by the United Kingdom; in Italy the authorized stations exceed 40,000.

11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I read over this thread quickly but did not see any mention of how many of those who have a license are active on the bands. I realize that figure would be difficult if not impossible to determine. Numbers for the US for example indicate a significant growth in the ham population but say nothing of the status of those licensees. It would be great to see band activity reflex those numbers but I fear in many cases a new ticket and a $25.00 handheld radio that finds it way to a desk drawer may not make for a very involved operator in the future.

K0IP and PY2NEA like this.
  12. EA5JEG

EA5JEG Ham Member QRZ Page

13. GM4JPZ

GM4JPZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Возможно, что российское правительство не разрешает публиковать цифры.

14. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Australia's entire population is only slightly larger than that of greater Los Angeles. I don't know how many hams are in LA, but it would be interesting to find out.

15. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting question. China's population is extremely old and getting older thanks to Mao's one-child policy. Their population will be reduced by 50% from its peak (which occurred a few years ago) somewhere between 2050 and 2100 according to demographers, which is already eroding their position as a leading provider of cheap labor.
    As one of the demographers I listen to said, "China isn't getting rich, it's getting old." A lot of people still have the perception that China is destined to dominate the world and be a consumption-driven economy, but the demographic numbers don't really support that idea.
    So maybe China will provide a lot of hams, but I don't think it's a sure thing by a long shot. My 2c worth.