ad: CQMM-1

Resonant Frequency of Antennas - Jim W6LG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by ZS1SBW, Dec 28, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB1MM

KB1MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure you didn't miss-hear him when he said "resonant" frequency?

M1WML likes this.
  2. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The question what happend to the good old RG213 is easy to answer. In comparison to Hyperflex10 the RG213 got a much bigger damping. And an Aircell7 is a light weight and much thinner in opposite to the RG213 with nearly the same damping.

M1WML likes this.
  3. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Got to love the Irish!

2E0CIT, M1WML and ZS1SBW like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Resonant? Frequency?! Antenna?!?!

I think you'd find a unicorn before you'd find a resonant antenna.

Use a well grounded tuner, always.

M1WML and KO4CES like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

What about atlantic frequencies?

VY2JS, 2E0CIT, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  6. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

:confused:

M1WML likes this.
  7. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TVZ anyone?

M1WML and WA8MEA like this.
  8. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do have the AA600 and it's a great tool since it can tell me also that I have a cable problem and where.

M1WML and KO4CES like this.
  9. N5QXP

N5QXP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Resident frequency"? Probably a term that is used on 80 meters when anyone under 70 years of age dares to intrude on some old timers net of grumpy old men. :rolleyes:

M1WML likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure you have: a 'diapole antanna'.

Hearing 'ant-an-na' drives me nuts.

The word derives from a lanyard type arrangement on a ship's mast, from the Italian, Interested to know the original pronunciation--in Italian.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    WA8MEA and M1WML like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ALL antennas ar non-resonant. SOME antennas have resonance(s) within the desired passband (hamband).

Your antenna has no need to be resonant in your ham band. For antennas such as a dipole, acheiving resonance is a good rule of thumb in the passband. However, what you need is a suitable SWR, not resonance per se.

IF you know the resonant frequency, as Jim points out, THEN you can see if the dipole--for example--needs to be shorter or longer, and knowing the resonance is a big help to that aim to tell you to clip or add.

Tune your antenna for best SWR.

KA2FIR likes this.
  12. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be a big misunderstanding. Build for example a halfwave 80M longwire antenna. It should be around 40 meters long and be resonant to the 80M band now. To "heal" some inaccuracy there is the tuner for. At next the antenna is maybe only resonant to 3.60 Mhz. Some kHz up and down the inaccuracy come back. So the tuner will now correct these fault to get back to be perfect. And the RigExpert Analyser is for to look for other resonant points. So the longwire antenna could be used in some other different bands outside of the 80M. But the tuner cant bring the antenna to all prefered bands.

13. W4JDY

W4JDY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How many times do we need lectures on the simplest of Ham concepts and as a part of the exams?

Actually, the resonant frequency and the bandwidth are not always the primary concern; not as the feedline is.

With tuners for unmatched lines as most lines used are, discussions on the feedline efficiency & power transfer would be more value than repeated antenna 101 stuff.

None of my long-wire antennae are resonant or use the college-knowledge odd 1/4 wavelengths - old school I learned in the 1960's.

I use fractal lengths of 1/8 or 1/5, and the antenna tune up efficiently across the HF bands.

At 70, I have no need for social media exposure, as I get enough of that supporting my DoD customers.

Bring something that is new or useful please in these videos - You TUIbe is full of them already, esp. the really terrible product reviews, or a I read the manual and know how to tweak the knobs variety.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe--

I got shot down from the related thread on 'SWL and tuners'. Basically if one states the obvious knowledge that one expects hams to posssess, one is attacked; trolled; posed as arrogant; dissed; and so on. Seems we can 'believe' anything we want nowadays.

Jim fills in a gap here that people like you and I are astounded needs to even be addressed. Apparently it does.

Many new hams memorize, and never read, apparently. Ironic given the access to information--correct info-- is now at their fingertips.

"Resident frequency:.... speechless.

Hard to believe it has come to this: I went into ham radio --because-- it was technical and fact based. Not technology based on opinion and belief.

But that is the world we are now in.

Wishing you a healthy and safe new year.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    K2XT and KB7TXS like this.
  15. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page