ad: CQMM-1

Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR SK November 25, 2021

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Nov 30, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR SK

ARRL Author, QST Technical Editor Joel Hallas, W1ZR, SK
    11/29/2021

Retired QST Technical Editor Joel R. Hallas, W1ZR, of Westport, Connecticut, died on November 25. An ARRL member, he was 79. Hallas retired in 2013 but remained active as a contributing editor, handling the popular “The Doctor is In” column in QST and the podcast of the same name. He had been a radio amateur since 1955.

“Joel was not only brilliant, he shared that brilliance with the ham radio community in a way that taught innumerable hams things they needed to know in order to experience success and enjoyment,” said ARRL Publications and Editorial Department Manager Becky Schoenfeld, W1BXY. “He was a fine mind, a generous mentor and colleague, and a consummate gentleman. He will be missed.”

Retired ARRL Publications Manager Steve Ford, WB8IMY, recalled Hallas as “an iconic figure in amateur radio media as a prolific author of QST articles and ARRL books, and even in the audio podcast community. I greatly enjoyed being Joel’s sidekick for the popular ‘Doctor is In’ podcasts. He had a wry sense of humor both on and off the microphone and a remarkably stoic attitude toward the illness that would eventually claim his life.”

Hallas authored six books about communications technology, published by ARRL. His titles include Basic Radio; Basic Antennas; The ARRL Guide to Antenna Tuners; Hamspeak; The Care and Feeding of Transmission Lines; Understanding Your Antenna Analyzer, and The Radio Amateur’s Workshop.

Hallas earned his bachelor’s in electrical engineering from the University of Connecticut and an MSEE from Northeastern University. He previously had worked for Raytheon as a radar systems engineer and for GTE as a nuclear weapons effects (electromagnetic pulse) analyst and as a satellite and terrestrial communications systems engineer, as well as for IBM and AT&T. He also taught at the college level.

He enjoyed sailing, as described in the July 2009 issue of QST. He and his 24-foot sloop Windfall — fully equipped with a ham station that used the insulated backstay as an HF antenna — graced the front cover.

Survivors include his wife of 58 years, Nancy, W1NCY.
    http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-author-qst-technical-editor-joel-hallas-w1zr-sk

WC5CW, N3AWS and N2HUN like this.
  2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So sorry to see him go. He contributed so much to amateur radio!

"The Doctor is out!"

K0VSH, W5ESE, N0TZU and 4 others like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

N2HUN likes this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

a beautiful VETERAN  funeral flag.jpg
    A FINAL SALUTE U.S. ARMY.jpg

1 1 a arrl candle.jpg

===================RESPECTFULLY

K0VSH, W5ESE, N3AWS and 1 other person like this.
  5. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest in Peace, OM.

N0TZU, K1LKP and K8PG like this.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W1ZR,

Thanks for many, many years of excellence. You are missed.

Fondest 73, OM!

W5ESE, N0TZU, K1LKP and 1 other person like this.
  7. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

W1ZR was one of my undergrad professors... he taught on IT and telecom topics. will be missed...

N3AWS likes this.
  8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry to hear this. Joel was one of the "giants" of QST and ARRL. I probably read everything he ever wrote.

9. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

May his memory be for a blessing.

10. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought his column was one of the best features of QST. Down-to-earth advice about how to assemble and use an amateur station effectively. He will be greatly missed.

K0VSH and N3AWS like this.
  11. KD2TUD

KD2TUD Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got the ARRL Basic Antennas book by him in a local club giveaway last night. I looked up his callsign on this site and found out that he went SK. RIP.