ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Is this the worst antenna for portable use? - Comet HFJ-350M Toy Box

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll be right behind her if she needs help!

2. AC6BW

AC6BW Ham Member QRZ Page

I still disagree on point #2. I maintain that a purely resistive circuit, in other words an ideal 50 Ohm resistor, with no stray reactance to cause self resonance, by itself, is not a resonant circuit.
    Please tell me how such a resistor, alone, can resonate.
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The debate was that a dummy load (aka a resistor) was resonant at all frequencies. A resistor is usually modelled as a resistor with an inductance in series and a capacitance in parallel. Hence my remark that Xc could not be equal to Xl and zero. If Xc would be zero, the resistor would be shorted.

4. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

And that is called resonance, which does not occur in a purely resistive component. Therefore the a perfect dummyload is not resonant on any frequency.

AC6BW likes this.
  5. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to a resonant circuit with discrete L, C, and R components, not a lone physical resistor that has lead inductance and stray capacitance.

6. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the sticking point between us is that I never described a 50 ohm resistor as a "resonant circuit". All I was pointing out was the circuit equivalence at resonance. I know it's a subtle point, but it is an important one in the understanding of RLC networks.

73 de W3PX

AC6BW likes this.
  7. PD5WVE

PD5WVE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's not treu. your radio want to see 50 OHM the dummy load is 50 ohm . That says nothing abouth the pattern of the antenna

M1WML and KR3DX like this.
  8. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Lighten-up, Francis.

M1WML likes this.
  9. KI4YTV

KI4YTV Ham Member QRZ Page

OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVN'T USED LADDER LINE

M1WML likes this.
  10. KI4YTV

THE TUNER ISNT REALLY GREAT WITH A COAX(UNBALANCED) FEED IT WANTS RESONANCE WITH THE COAX, LADDER/WINDOW LINE IS (BALANCED) THE TUNER ISNT USLESS AT ALL, MY 560 LOOP IS A KILLER ANTENNA ON ALL HF BANDS FED WITH HOMEMADE LL 600 OHM. THOSE PEOPLE WHO SCOFF AT TUNERS NEVER PLAYED WITH LL AND DIFFERANT (NON-RESONANT) ANTENNA. THEY HIDE THIS STUFF IN BOOKS

11. KI4YTV

LOWES AND TRACTOR SUPPLY

M1WML likes this.
  12. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes i have and it was a load of crap..never again..

13. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll stick with my monoband antennas if that's ok with you..

PD5WVE and N1IPU like this.
  14. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. Anything that conducts RF power is antenna. Good or surrogate, whatever. Radiation of an antenna does not depend on resonance but on current distribution in it, and losses caused by resistivity of real counductor, of the ground (where applicable), and so on. Radiation/losses ratio is measure of antenna efficiency.
    Dummy load has almost 100% losses (intentionally) so it has steady impedance within its working range. Obviously dummy load would appear as resonant antenna on any frequency so useless for tuning the amp for a real (imperfect) antenna at given frequency (where particular impedance may vary).

Matching may be wanted due many reasons but this doesn't mean the antenna itself has to have resonance to radiate efficiently. Sure one can tune rusty nail and call it 'antenna' but its efficiency is still radiation/losses ratio, not the resonance.

M1WML, KR3DX and MM0JNL like this.
  15. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

An end-fed half wave is way less expensive and easier to use.

Pete

NL7QY, N1IPU, K0WJ and 2 others like this.