ad: elecraft

What Really Happened at the Arecibo Telescope?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA6PY

WA6PY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was very interesting report. I have worked KP4I and KP4AO on 432 EME. Arecibo had lot of research capabilities and discoveries still to be done. I hope new radio telescope will be rebuild at the site. We just need political good will to do it. We can't forget that without progressing research we as a humans will not survive.
    73 Paul WA6PY

M1WML, W4HM and WD0BCT like this.
  2. CX5CDV

CX5CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Muy bueno y agradezco esta publicacion,pienso que hay que hacer lo posible para reconstruirlo,esta ubicado en un lugar clave,no hay que perder tiempo,hay dinero para otras cosas ,para esto tiene que haber,mis saludos a los colegas dee todo el mundo.-

M1WML likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever since the industrial Revolution we have been on a technology treadmill to support an ever growing population. And some of that technology (reliance on fossil fuels) has returned to challenge us.

M1WML likes this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

What struck me curious in the video timeline explanation was that it wasn't the original design nor construction that failed first and then tragically set off the cascade of "falling dominoes". It seems that an unfortunate aspect of the upgrade is what brought it down.

The first failure was the "Aux MN4" socket on one of the cables added during for the Gregorian dome in the mid '90's, extra surprising because that means it should not be very far into a reasonably expected lifespan.

NASA investigated this socket failure extensively. The report is very detailed and contains many photos and pictorials. For anyone curious about how it failed I highly recommend downloading and reading it. Here is the web page which contains a link to the PDF document.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20210017934

Corrosion is acknowledged but doesn't seem to be identified as a sole root cause. Most glaring to me is that routine inspection of that socket way back in 2003 which crept out to be more in 2019 indicated an alarming amount of "atypical" "extrusion" of the spelter and cable from the socket, which IMO should have set off more urgent attention. See page 25, Fig. 6.4.2. See pic below.

As the presenter said, hopefully lots of "lessons learned", perhaps even for other other applications of wire rope socket terminations.

I agree whats left at the site, tangible and in spirit, still seems to have significant recoverable value if for a different application and mission.

Hope it is resurrected.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    M1WML likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

Enough bridges have been built that the lessons are already well-known.

:-(

M1WML likes this.
  6. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

UOTE="KI6PMD, post: 5922922, member: 403376"]Put one on the "MOON" on both sides !!! before the China doe's & put a Satellite in orbit to send the data back here ! Phil ..[/QUOTE]

It looks like Private Ventures will be on the Moon well before 2031 so maybe a 'Scope can be constructed on the far side of the Moon. It will be a task but doable.
    G3SEA/KH6 :cool:

M1WML likes this.
  7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like Private Ventures will be on the Moon well before 2031 so maybe a 'Scope can be constructed on the far side of the Moon. It will be a task but doable.
    G3SEA/KH6 :cool:[/QUOTE]
    There's a HUGE PROBLEM with that. Apparently according to "Secret Sources" at NASA we do not have "rights" to the Moon and ESPECIALLY the Far Side... and have been told to stand clear... There are reasons we ceased to venture to the place and it wasn't just $$$$ and cents.. Not with all the shuttle missions spewing Billions $$$ out the tailpipe... and if you really dig into the scuttlebutt regarding alien presence on the thing, Neil Armstrong and BUZZ, PLUS the research on this planet performed by others as in Gordo Cooper's underwater research for one it's no wonder there's things flying all over the flippen place lately.... Somebody else controls the Horizontal and they also control the Vertical...Pretty soon we're going to see the effects of all that control and when asked about it ..... the only response is... We have "Top Men" working on it. What Top Men? TOP..... MEN....
    Erika DD

WN1MB and M1WML like this.
  8. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Screenshot_20210727-175238_Chrome.jpg
    Lets fill it with ice cream !

Or possibility special fried rice ! :rolleyes:

M1WML and W4HM like this.
  9. G3SEA

There's a HUGE PROBLEM with that. Apparently according to "Secret Sources" at NASA we do not have "rights" to the Moon and ESPECIALLY the Far Side... and have been told to stand clear... There are reasons we ceased to venture to the place and it wasn't just $$$$ and cents.. Not with all the shuttle missions spewing Billions $$$ out the tailpipe... and if you really dig into the scuttlebutt regarding alien presence on the thing, Neil Armstrong and BUZZ, PLUS the research on this planet performed by others as in Gordo Cooper's underwater research for one it's no wonder there's things flying all over the flippen place lately.... Somebody else controls the Horizontal and they also control the Vertical...Pretty soon we're going to see the effects of all that control and when asked about it ..... the only response is... We have "Top Men" working on it. What Top Men? TOP..... MEN....
    Erika DD[/QUOTE]

M1WML likes this.
  10. G3SEA

[/QUOTE]

Ok then we'll have the Aliens build it for us ! :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6 :cool:

M1WML likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Your 'dish' on the moon will never be a dish.

It will either be an array of flat phased panels, or panels with controllable delays to focus at a central raised structure. You can land thousands of panels on the moon and then use a mesh to phase them. They can be powered by solar irradiance. They are 'aperture engines'.

Please: its not 1960 anymore. Craters are too expensive and unneeded to make apertures. They may look like dishes but they are onerously expensive to do so on the moon.

M1WML and W0PV like this.
  12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know what happened at Arecibo... I saw it on the X-Files!

M1WML likes this.
  13. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

enjoyed watching.......

M1WML likes this.
  14. G3SEA

I never said it would be a Dish :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

M1WML likes this.
  15. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tropical climates are really hard on structures and associated electrical and electronic systems.

M1WML likes this.