ad: CQMM-1

S.O.T.B.? Summits on the bear? W7MPS032 My first 10 pointer

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K9ROB, Jun 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9ROB

K9ROB Ham Member QRZ Page

N1VAU, K7WFM and KD2UHF like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

What were you worried about, can't you outrun your wife? You don't need to be faster than the bear, only not the slowest person in your party. :D

We have a lot of black bears around here (as in regular sightings within a mile of my house). They're generally of no concern, I've chased off the last few I've come across by yelling at them. I buy a bear tag each year, but can't seem to find the bears when I have the tag and a rifle, only when I'm doing SOTA or just hiking. :rolleyes:

Was that Kimber's new snubnose?

Neat terrain, we don't have anything like that here in the Appalachians.

Chris

K0UO and K9ROB like this.
  3. K9ROB

I know the east very well, lived out there for years. She is probably faster than I am :oops:
    Yes Kimber K6s its an amazing backwoods piece, .357 Mag high penetration rounds in it. Happy this one was a black bear and not a Griz, im sure that is just a matter of time. Thanks for watching!

N1VAU and KI4POT like this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad the dog did not go after the bear (I think it was on a leash?)

There is a lesson for everyone in this video: Be prepared!

What happens if you encounter a bear? (notice the pistol and the bear mace were handy. GREAT JOB, Rob!)

For everyone else: what happens in case of snake bite? Dog injury? Slip/trip/fall?

Follow the scout motto: be prepared. No need to ruck in 50 kg of stuff, but don't be the person who gets into trouble with no way to get out of it.

From previous videos I have seen, I know Rob also has an emergency satellite communications device to call for help. That's the mother-of-all-backup-plans and is really good preparation.

K9ROB likes this.
  5. K9ROB

Thank you for watching! Yes I stay prepared, you are not kidding about the snake issue. We had a close friend get bit last year, he survived but with serious muscular damage. I could not agree more that a satellite communication device with SOS button is absolutely crucial!

6. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't poke the bear, it never ends well, just say'n. ;)

I have black bears come in the yard often. A couple of weeks ago a neighbor came over to tell my wife there was a good sized one wondering in our direction at 10 AM. We never take bear sightings lightly either, especially if there's a cub.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    K9ROB likes this.
  7. K9ROB

Love the profile pic, seems like you have experience with wildlife for sure. Hoping the bears are done for the season for me =] Summit tomorrow =]

N1VAU likes this.
  8. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve said it before “What a beautiful country” great video Robert! So glad it all ended well.

K9ROB likes this.
  9. K9ROB

Thank you again so much for the kind words and taking time to watch. 73 K9ROB