ad: TinyPaddle-1

New FCC RF Safety rules come into effect on May 3 - what you need to know

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Apr 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can read my signs... you are to damm close. See log book for data.
    orange sign.jpg NO tress.jpg door.jpg

2. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you don't have any neighbors, but what's the little old lady next door going to do when she sees THAT sign... IMO that sign says you're asking for trouble.

Dan WQ4G

K7JEM likes this.
  3. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done some of the calcs and figure that unless I'm running more than 500 watts on 10 meters I should be within limits and legal. The guy next door will NOT be harmed by RF coming from my Ham Station.

But, when I do the calcs based on the next door neighbor's CB station I become concerned... Seems he is bathing my Ham Station in tissue heating, cancer causing, limit exceeding RF.

No reason for concern though... Everyone knows that CB RF is a lot less dangerous than Ham RF.

Dan WQ4G

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

She'll probably blame me when her electric can opener stops working... luckily I was just joking about hanging the sign outside. Where my antennas are there should be nobody walking around. The sign is just a decoration in my shack.

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Just need to tell him to turn that Skullcracka down a few thousand watts.

WQ4G likes this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you!

7. N9WRP

N9WRP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the information and calculators.

8. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Just another asinine gummint reg to ignore. I havent fried my brains yet at 80 and dont plan anything different with antennas or power.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

W7IVK, KG7MVM, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  11. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. There are so many talented members of our hobby, with so much practical knowledge of so many radio related topics. I applaud each one whenever I come across a really well done video, or written explanation of a topic that I am stumped on. I especially am happy when I run across a link to one of them noted here on QRZ. My take is that our hobby is one of continuous sharing and learning. So much better than sitting in front of the tv, for sure.

W1YW likes this.
  12. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find a waste of time and negligent by the FCC and the ARRL is that without my neighbors RF radiators my noise floor is typically about s2, -115 dBm, across hf /6meter due to having most of Oregon's prior noisy power grid replaced after our 2 week long ice storm outage in Feb of this year with lower noise equipment.

However; when my neighbors WMS/ACCR, WALL MART SUPPLIED/AMAZON CHEAP CHINESE RADIATORS turn on my noise floor most times is between -60 to -53 dBm and these houses are closest at around 50-75 feet from my antennas which are directional yagis.

Right now I'm listening to periods of quiet on 52.525 MHZ only to be interrupted randomly by pulses that I cannot squelch out so my question is where is the FCC requiring my neighbors to do an analysis on their consumer crud?

What I have found over the past 20 plus years is that it is not a ham transmitter causing issue but in fact it is the opposite with consumer grade general electronic products radiating at levels greater than what my transmitters do causing issue to legal, properly designed, FCC CERTIFIED RF equipment.

My profession is as an avionics design engineer designing avionics NAV RECEIVERS, Com transceivers, ADS-B transceivers and transponders and DME avionics and Lately I spend most of my time after introducing a product to market working out RFI issues to ours and other avionics mfg. installed, FAA signed off avionics, that are being interfered with from what has been traced to as consumer grade/residential installed LED lighting as one big noise culprit causing blocking issues in our test aircraft and in customers aircraft equipment.

Working in this field since 1990, I have never had any help nor assistance nor for that matter any interest in these issues by the FCC or any other federal agency on tracing down nor quieting these numerous consumer grade electronics causing grief to RF avionics in numerous planes, helicopters, many that are/were federal customers.

Many of these customers are just as frustrate as I am at the negligence of the federal regulators at addressing the true culprits who are causing RFI issues to legal avionics and FCC certified ham equipment that has by the way gone thru in some instances hundreds of thousands of dollars of testing to ensure compliance only to be interfered with from cheaply designed consumer electronics.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    W7BSK, W7IVK, KC2YMO and 7 others like this.
  13. AA0KM

AA0KM Ham Member QRZ Page

I can`t believe ham radio all these years has been causing health issues with RFI exposure. Ham radio saves lives RIGHT>? This is just another this is (NOT A STEP) on a ladder. Now here comes 1000`s of Satellites in the Gigahertz Frequencies What>?
    Heck a lot a lot of my Elmers worked with Tube gear and amplifiers and they lived long lives. Ok there is a learning lesson for us hams to learn i get that but for most I got to wonder how this even came about? Who thought hey lets go after Ham Radio they might be the cause of all man kinds health issues. They could not budge the Cellphone group in the microwave range so let go after this group. Frying my neighbors I don't think so, I know so.

14. ASHISHKUMARJI

ASHISHKUMARJI QRZ Member

I have seen some pretty nasty situations over the past 20 years. Unfortunately I have been involved representing clients after the fact/ and many of which did not have any documentation of compliance.

W1YW likes this.
  15. K4RGN

K4RGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I retired from telecom. No wireless company that I know of transmits on 1.8 or 3.5 MHz where the near field extends quite a ways out, nor do they use OCF antennas and other designs that are tricky to model.

K8PG and W1YW like this.