ad: QSLWorks-1

HR2.0 - Xiegu REVEALS the GSOC Controller for G90 and X5105

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Because you literally HAVE TO. Not necessarily ham gear but have you ever really read all the labels on everything you buy and tried to avoid it? It may not be impossible but it is close enough to it to be impractical. Even many big name Japanese manufacturers have factories in China. Not that much of "Japanese" stuff is even made in Japan anymore. If you're lucky maybe South Korea.

KR3DX, KC5HWB and WD5GWY like this.
  2. WD4IGX

No one, and I read the entire threat at least up to your post now, literally no-one is saying that the G90 IS a beta product.

They are saying that this GSOC gadget IS though, and they would be right, in function if not necessarily in pure test cycles.

KC5HWB likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

You just didn't read it.

Nearly everyone here - in fact everyone here who has expressed an opinion about it - has LIKED the G90. The only negatives have been about Chinese products in general and even they didn't say the G90 was BAD, just that it was Chinese. Again, it's this GSOC contraption that's the topic here. One person did call the COMBINATION of the G90 and GSOC a "junk radio" and compared it to his 991A. That radio costs more but can be found used in great shape for not much more, and in comparison...well, the GSOC clearly is, in its present state, at least nearly junk. The G90 is a nice little radio for the money, agreed, but you don't improve it by more than doubling the price to add a barely functional external POS device.

4. WD5GWY

WD5GWY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tough crowd! Buy, don't buy, it's up to the individual what they spend their money on. I have a G90 and the GSOC. The only real problem I have encountered was RFI causing display issues. Put a different DB9 cable from my stash, ( wife has a more colorful word for it ! ) and now the RFI problem is gone.
    Is it as good as my Flex 6600M? No, but I don't expect it to be.
    It does have a better display than my Icom 7300 had.
    Xiegu has stated they will be making the source code available. And since I like to pretend I can write software, it will be a fun toy. ( I already write software for my 6600M)
    As for buying from China, that horse left the barn a long time ago. Heck, all my Uniden scanners are made in Vietnam. Probably using Chinese parts too!
    James
    WD5GWY

KC1OCA likes this.
  5. N0YEP

N0YEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not disassociating the due criticism to the GSOC. I'm saying all of the trashing on the Chinese products. Just remember, you may have a K3S, but most of the components on the board are from "Chyna". So it's just assembled in the US. Most if not all of the components are made in China.
    And boomer jokes are only old to boomers. Us Millennial people and Zoomers are all about em. Even if making a radio from 100% US made components was possible, which it is NOT, that radio would cost $30,000 for a mid range HF rig.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

KR3DX likes this.
  7. SQ6WE

SQ6WE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am suppose that it is sponsored review,,,Quality of These Chinese Toys is so optimistic,, We need to tried it like this is real not so smart indeed..

8. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While I won't disagree about the Chinese stuff, if you watched the video you would have heard him say he bought it at a discount because he wanted it to have, not just review.

KC5HWB likes this.
  9. EA4CWW

EA4CWW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ain't we all fed up with the chinese junk and the virus? I donĀ“t buy their masks, I will never buy anything more serious from them.

KR3DX likes this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no problem buying or dealing with small PRC vendors.

These folks tend to make up a 'middle class' - something I see as an antidote to the true horrors inflicted by the Communist 'style' of governance used today in PRC.

I point to the excellent SW3B, of which I am a fan.

The PRC has a thriving ham community - clearly an anomaly in a true totalitarian States. As for the rest, I'll abstain. This is a board for ham radio, not politics.

11. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, if there's an affiliate link "in the description below," they are making money. When you click the "link below," a cookie is installed in your browser (typically with a 30 day expiration.) When you buy ANYTHING from that site while that cookie is still active in your browser, the affiliate makes money. That's why they all do it.

N1IPU likes this.
  12. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

On Amazon, the affiliate 'cookie' is 24 hours or until purchase - in other words, if they click the affiliate link, anything they buy within that 24-hour window counts...but only until the purchase, which could be within 10 minutes or 10 hours (or 24 hours).

From the FAQ:
    How long does an amazon affiliate cookie last? The Amazon affiliate tracking cookie is a 24 hours long cookie. So any single checkout or purchase made will be credited to you at the agreed upon rate in the 24-hour period. Amazon does offer a single product 90 days cookie but it requires access to the API and requires additional setup with Amazon and longer setup period.

13. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SPOT THE M.O.: There is a cover photo of the same 4 people, making weird faces and/or using a hand gesture behind fancy text... they are all monetized reviewers with "podcasts". If you have the cash to create your own video "brand-image"... you are pushing stuff.

Happy Holidays to all!