ad: CQMM-1

HR2.0 - Xiegu REVEALS the GSOC Controller for G90 and X5105

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I replaced the heater switch in my father's '53 Ford in the late 60's and the switch was made in Japan. China is not unique in parts making for the world.

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in China for over four years. There is lot of difference in a country's treatment of their citizens and the attitude of those same citizens who build these radios. The same thing can be said of many countries, even ours. This is why we can and do select our leaders and THIS is the difference.

3. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The apologists have arrived. Every dollar you knowingly send to China is another sign of implicit support for a regime that has active concentration camps.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. N7BWB

N7BWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Then don't buy Chinese products. And while you're at it, check the labels on every article of clothing you own.

5. W5CJA

Made informed choices where possible.

KR3DX likes this.
  6. N0YEP

N0YEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to the OM section where we all complain about why the hobby is dying, but shun people that buy what they can afford.

Ok Boomers.

KJ7OMD, KC3PBI and W4NNF like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to add an Mpow loop filter to your I/Q line and put ferrite snap ons to the db9 cable end to "calm" that SDR noise on the Waterfall.
    had to do the same when I fed the G90 into my SDRPlay as well.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And stay our of Walmart. ;)

9. W5CJA

Maybe the GSOC was an overpriced and half baked product that deserves the criticism it earned. Boomer insults are already outdated, by the way.

KR3DX and WD4IGX like this.
  10. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Because this generation knows no better; they were raised on mass-produced Chinese garbage electronics that are meant to be thrown into a landfill when (not if) they fail. Then it's on to the next small, cheap piece of junk...no wonder the noise floor on the bands keeps rising.

KR3DX and WD4IGX like this.
  11. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m still not sure what you’re getting at with weak implications; looking in the mirror?

Posting things when someone clearly hasn’t watched the video to know that their response is off base is going to be called out. Someone wants to disagree? That’s fine! At least watch first so you know what to disagree with. ;)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  12. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to agree. I just don't see the point. The G90 is an intriguing little radio "for what it is" as a friend says of a lot of things. But more than doubling the price to get two boxes that aren't as capable as ONE box you can get for the same OR LESS money from much more well known better supported brands? (Yaesu 991A and Icom IC-7100 both come to mind) makes less than zero sense.

This is a case of putting an outboard engine on a bathtub and not just calling it a motorboat but trying to sell it at decent bass-boat prices.

EDIT - just thought, duh, the G90 does not cover "DC to light" like the 991A or the IC-7100, so a better comparison would be an IC-7300, and even then the G90 does not cover 6m. The IC-7300 will eat the lunch of a G90+GSOC. The only possible reason might be for portable operation for power consumption, and in that case, why add the GSOC? Just an extra box and extra power consumption for functions you don't need for that kind of portable operation.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    KR3DX likes this.
  13. WD4IGX

BTW the PLA has not existed in decades, so no, not that. ;)

14. WD4IGX

Like the mechanic who said "just jack up the radiator cap and put a new car under it" ANY radio could be fixed or improved with some kind of update, firmware, software, or hardware. Who cares? It should work right at what it's advertised to do when it's delivered.

The only way I'd ever accept a "will be fixed in a firmware update" excuse would be IF and only IF: a) the radio or device still met my needs as is but had some minor oversight or lack I could live with for a while, b) the manufacturer or seller agreed, in writing, to extend my return period to cover the wait, c) they promised it in a VERY short period of time, like a month, maybe two at most, AND d) they delivered on item C. And even then I'd grouse about it but could see doing it.

People here are right. There is WAY too much "sell a barely functional piece of crap and promise to fix it later." Nope - I'm not buyin' it. Add in this would be something that I don't think would make any sense at this price (per my other post above) even if it worked PERFECTLY and... somehow I suspect they won't sell that many of them. But I could be wrong, as PT Barnum seldom was.

KR3DX likes this.
  15. WD4IGX

Agree in general but consider - even half the price would be $250. Add that to the $425 of the G90 and you have 675. Not much else you can buy new anymore for that, granted, but there are any number of used radios that would be overall far better for that money, and it's close enough to the price of a used 7300 that I'd just save hundred twenty five or so and get a used 7300.

Get them so the COMBO costs under $600 instead of nearly $700, much less the current insane price for the combo, AND works right, and they might have something.

EDIT: You can still get an IC-718 for over a hundred bucks less than that. You lose the internal tuner and the waterfall/fancy display. But you get a solid little radio from one of the best known and respected brands in ham radio.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    KR3DX and W4NNF like this.