ad: CQMM-1

#76 How I Solder in 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Articles posted into this forum, "Amateur Radio News", as well as "General Announcements", and "Videos and Podcasts" are only approved by top site management - typically not up for discussion what sub-forum they end up in. There are times when QRZ top management may approve an article into more than one forum.

So please - no point in arguing "which forum would be better".

[And no, I do not approve articles in those forums - not part of my charter, as it were]

Dave
    W7UUU

W1KRI and VK4HAT like this.
  2. KE8NFK

KE8NFK Ham Member QRZ Page

You KNOW all the old farts out there have to complain about SOMETHING!!!!

KI5HNX and W1KRI like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

They're not all "old" ;)

Doesn't matter - site ownership decides "what goes where" and that's that

Dave
    W7UUU

KI5HNX likes this.
  4. W1WWA

W1WWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same ones complain all the time.. BUT contribute nothing in return.

KI5HNX, KE8NFK and KM9G like this.
  5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Karma is going to get you good and hard for that one.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd sure like to see a DIY video on 'How To Solder As Your Eyesight Gets Worse".

That would help me , and others, a LOT:)

KG7HVR, KE8NFK, PA0MHS and 1 other person like this.
  7. W7UUU

I agree! I'm now 59 and find soldering ever more difficult - it's not like it was even 10 years ago. I have numerous strengths of reading glasses around the bench and "get by" just fine - but I do wonder what tricks and techniques others use might be.

Someone should do such a video, and post accordingly.

Very good idea, Chip. I like it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W1YW likes this.
  8. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have arthritic hands and wear reading glasses, i use an illuminated magnifier. Im working in smd, its not that hard even for a handycapped like me.

20200804_143103.jpg 20200804_143253.jpg

KE8NFK, KG7HVR, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  9. W7UUU

You're an inspiration, Rob!

Dave
    W7UUU

W1YW likes this.
  10. VK4HAT

You can do it (he says in an Arnie voice LOL) especially so working on the older large part rigs you have. The magnified light makes all the difference with 8x magnification and really bright white LED light, its impossible not to see what you are doing.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  11. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, I just read the guidelines myself, case closed.

12. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really?!!! I'd say that "DISSING" is exactly what you're doing.

You know what I grow weary of? It's the multitude of self-important windbags (or in your case and in your own words, "self-appointed narcissists") in this hobby who have nothing better to do than dump on everyone else. The first words out of their mouths include the number of decades that they've been in amateur radio. These are usually followed by a mumbling narrative about new "No-Code" hams today who don't know how easy they have it.

Wait, wait, tell me again how it was when you first got your license! You had to walk uphill in the snow to the local FCC office only to find that your CW key had frozen on the way. After finally getting your novice license and clawing your way up (that's how we used to have to do it son!) during the next 55 years you've been on the cutting edge of nothing at all and don't even remember how to spell "CW."

What KM9G is doing in the video is teaching others who actually are ignorant of things which are so painfully obvious to you. Not everyone learned to solder when they were growing up, consider yourself fortunate. Were you forced to click on the video? No, I think not, but it is there for others who are looking to have their soldering questions answered.

There are many new hams who haven't had the good fortune of being taken under an Elmer's wing. They're doing it on their own. They look to books and the internet for advice and instruction. Real ham clubs with real Elmers are disappearing. The future of Elmering might be in online forums and video tutorials.

Amateur radio needs more of KM9G and the many others who are growing the hobby by explanation, demonstration, mentoring (in person and online) and encouragement. Prospective hams are being heartily welcomed by today's YouTube Elmers. This is ham radio moving forward by taking advantage of new technology just as it has always done.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to watch it. In fact, instead of trolling QRZ under the guise of looking for "front page NEWS," why don't you go stand in front of a mirror and admire yourself for awhile. Marvel in the awe-inspiring glow that surrounds you while the rest of us actually get out and enjoy amateur radio and all it has to offer.

Semper fi Mac and 73,
    Todd
    KI5HNX

KI5AAI, N4KCD, W1KRI and 3 others like this.
  13. VK4HAT

While I think that this is not news, its certainly is a podcast that has value for people much newer to electronics than many of the people here on the Zed. People need to remember that not everything is for them, there are other people in this world who are at much different stages in their journey some are beginner, some are experts.

Everything you said is 100% spot on. Sadly there is nothing any of us can do about it. Chin up, people that actually matter know better.

N4KCD, KI5HNX and M5RJC like this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I still haven't mastered the 'soldering under the magnifier'. The hand to eye coordination is the real problem...any tips? :)

For me, its like trying to navigate an 18 wheeler truck when you have the delicacy of pedalling a bike...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  15. VK4HAT

A large magnifier, the one im using is 6 or 7 inches in diameter, so the field of view is wide. Using a sterio scope feels detached to me. But i can do it, with practice.