ad: Alphaant-1

Lab-599 Discovery TX-500 Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jul 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5APL

W5APL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who knows this may be the future of hf radio. They are getting smaller. Now we have the LAB599 TX-500 coming out in September 2020. Good or bad ? I'm going to order one thru HRO and give it a try.

WB3EYB likes this.
  2. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

What I like:
    • form factor
    • case construction
    • layout
    • buttons not touchscreen
    • real connectors and safe from plugging the wrong thing into the wrong hole.
    Deal killers:
    • no matching or docking battery pack
    • no ATU
    • no speaker (could be something built into a docking battery pack.)
    • another QRP SDR with what appears to be a vulnerable display, although this one is not touch which may have allowed using a more rugged display glass. (my main beef with the IC-705)
    • price per bang level.
    c'mon... $800?? With the 705 coming on the market for +$400 with VHF/UHF and from a known company, gonna be a hard sell unless someone just happens to figure out how to use this thing in a backpack setup and only wants HF. Thinking more along the lines of a combo chest pack for the radio and belt or backpack battery and antenna mount.

Seem like a boutique radio not for the masses. Still a nice piece of kit.

WD4IGX and W4NNF like this.
  3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

No speaker? The mike is the speaker. What's wrong with that?
    And the price? I think it is justified. A milled aluminum case is not cheap. Also all those rugged connecters are more expensive than PCB mounted/soldered sockets. They all need to be hand mounted and wired. And every button and knob is splash proof, needing some form of sealing where they protrude though the front panel. All in all, assembling the TX-500 takes more time and effort than "clicking together" and IC-705.
    And not having an internal battery give you, as a user, the opportunity to choose the perfect battery for your application. It shouldn't be hard to fabricate a battery pack that fits nicely on the back of the TX-500. Or have a flat pack in your rucksack in any form or shape you lik. I see it as a benefit.

G0NMD, N4MMI, N6SPP and 1 other person like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

AJ6KZ and G3SEA like this.
  5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure you do. Same as going from 100 to 200 watts. Old, old math. :)

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That looks really nice, although the 12AH LiFePO4 is more than I personally would ever need; it may be ideal for many others, though.

I've used my G90 for only two portable ops now but would hope to use it for many more. So far, I've just used a 7AH Gelcell which lasted the few hours of each operation just fine; and of course they're really cheap and available everywhere. The Bienno is a great idea and more powerful for sure, but also considerably more expensive. The old 7AH gelcells were used in hundreds of millions of home alarm systems and such and due to that huge and long market, I can find them brand new for $10.

Then again, for a "drive up" portable operation I probably wouldn't bring any kind of battery, and just use the one in the car.:p

7. IN3ELX

IN3ELX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a 2014 project. Interesting and unique, too bad it's just a mirage. Uncertainty about price and local assistance.

8. K4DL

K4DL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  9. K4DL

They seem to be in Russia.

10. WB2WIK

I know. But no phone number, no street address.

And of course it's been "announced" for a very long time without shipments, at least not any shipments that would allow me to buy one and have it delivered "today."

I'll pass. But if HRO receives deliveries and stocks them so I can just walk in and try one out, and then buy it if I like it, that could easily change my mind. I try not to buy phantomware.:)

11. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

There's an e-mail addres on their "Pivacy Policy" page.

12. VE3MAL

VE3MAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that the actual usable capacity of a 7AH gell cell is considerably less than what it says on the tin, depending on current draw. You might be able to get away with a 4.5AH LiFePO4 -at 1lbs. It might cost 7x as much, but have a life span 10x longer.

13. K4DL

I am not a big fan of Russian made items. Hope you get to play with one soon though.

14. K5TED

K5TED Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaker/mic is awesome if you are Paul Blart. The radio is nice and the connector set is great. Overall though, there are missing pieces, and it is an overpriced boutique radio like the Commradio CTX-10.

NY6P likes this.
  15. WB2WIK

I believe that.

Just that a 7AH gel cell is very inexpensive and kind of "disposable" because they cost so little; I have 5-6 of them.

Seems with the G90 one will run the "receiver only" all day long, or if transmitting at about a 20% duty cycle (maybe transmitting 12 minutes at 20W PEP each hour, listening the rest of the time) will last about half a day. For "my" type operation, that's actually plenty and usually more than I need.

For others, I'm sure it's not!