ad: Retevis-1

A great and simple tuner!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jun 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

The MFJ-994B IntelliTuner is rated at 600 watts PEP SSB, 600 watts CW, and 500 watts continuous carrier modes. In this video I will also show how to reset its original factory settings. It will generally tune in about 5 seconds.

MFJ-994B.png

K0UO and W8IXI like this.
  2. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

maybe in some ways

Ive been a loyal customer to LDG since their tuners cover 6M

Ive had too many issues with MFJ over the years, products arriving damaged inside a perfectly fine outer box

good luck with that

W2CPD, WJ6F and W6ERM like this.
  3. AA7VA

AA7VA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good overall video - thanks.
    I have one for my station, and am very well pleased with it. It replaced my MFJ-939 when I got an old Heathkit SB-200 amp, and it handles its output very well (about 600 watts max, usually run around 300-350 SSB or 100-150 digital). I find that a first tune for a new frequency takes the 5 or so seconds (or less) as you stated, but when it goes to a frequency that it already has a memory for, it is almost immediate in tuning. Far faster than friends LDG tuners, and far more memories, and wider tuning range, which is required for my 80m OCF, which it will also tune on 6 meters!
    I use it on both my Yaesu and on my old Heathkit HW101 - same results. Nice with the old valve rig because first you need to manually tuneup the rig into the dummy load, then manually tune up the amp, and with the MFJ-994 you don't need to manually tune the antenna match. The one gripe I have is that the meter is too hard to really see, so I have a much larger one without the double needles to make it easier to read, the MFJ-870.
    I have had great "luck" with MFJ products, and think some people just like to gripe no matter what. Reading the instructions seems to be no-no with them, as it seems so many gripes are because they did not do things the right way.

K9AAV, WJ6F and W8IXI like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

If that's how you go to sleep at night then so be it. I don't think MFJ got the Mostly F*** Junk award with no merit of their own. 150 watts digital? Dude you're doing it wrong. Maybe YOU need to read the instructions. ;)

WJ6F likes this.
  5. W8IXI

W8IXI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are stuck years ago, you might think MFJ is "junk".

I have used their auto tuners, artificial grounds, chokes, etc. with no problems I did not cause myself.

In fact I could not be on HF without their products. The auto tuner which I cratered due to my own negligence was fixed out of warranty for the standard one hour charge plus $1.58 for parts. I could not have purchased the parts that cheaply when first a ham fifty years ago.

Who has had a problem with MFJ quality recently, and what was it?

NA4RA, AA7VA and WJ6F like this.
  6. KL7IXW

KL7IXW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used MFJ products - including the 993B autotuner - for years. I have been impressed. Never a problem. Oh yeah ... I also never read the instructions as I like living on the edge. Call me crazy.

K3MRK, W8IXI, WJ6F and 1 other person like this.
  7. IDEALTELSIZ

IDEALTELSIZ QRZ Member

Good overall video thanks.

8. KG5IGO

KG5IGO Ham Member QRZ Page

i have 2 mfj-939s. work great. love em. 4 various power supplies. wattmeter. i'm sure some other stuff.

I bought a manual tuner a couple years ago, not sure the exact model. Purchased at HRO in Plano. got it home, and one of the knobs wouldn't turn all the way.
    opened it up, and the capacitor plates were hitting the pc board next to it.
    Ok, found it right here, MFJ-945E. Transmitter knob.

Seriously, all someone had to do was turn the knob...

In general I've been happy with MFJ. but yeah, every so often someone flat out is sleeping on the job.

NA4RA likes this.
  9. K1WCC

K1WCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used MFJ gear for a long time and have had a few problems, but in all problem cases they were fixed rather promptly and inexpensively. I have had an MFJ-259B analyzer for at least 20 years-the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is the selector switch, and that was fixed quickly and for a reasonable cost. That analyzer has been used outside, gotten wet, been dropped, isn't pretty anymore but still works just fine. Also have an MFJ-815D wattmeter. It ain't a Palstar but works just fine. MFJ provides things that are useful and generally agreeable for the average amateur. I'm glad they do!

K3MRK, NA4RA and KC9YGN like this.
  10. N4CYF

N4CYF Ham Member QRZ Page

did

11. N4CYF

N4CYF Ham Member QRZ Page

Didn’t know MFJ will repair products out of warranty. I have a 40 yr old tuner that just started having issues. Great tuner.

12. W4DBV

W4DBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Me too -- one tuner was assembled and shipped with a smashed variable capacitor. It looked likes someone had deliberately 'stomped' on it.
    The case was perfect, the shipping carton was perfect -- the tuner even had a little quality control sticker initialed by a MFJ employee. I would never
    buy anything new from MFJ. (This tuner is but one of several DOA items.) I might consider a working used unit from someone I know at a suitably discounted
    price, but new? NEVER NEVER NEVER buy new from MFJ.

AA1PR likes this.
  13. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

So far the only MFJ items which have never been problematic for me have been their desktop-type manual antenna tuners and an antenna analyser from them, MFJ-259B, and it hasn't been problematic. I use it once in a while and it always seems to work ok.

I bought a new MFJ-936B loop antenna tuner from them and tried using it with a Kenwood TS-820 on phone with a 3/8" copper pipe loop element about 5 feet in diameter. I don't remember which band I was working but the loop was appropriate for the band, as per the manual.

Within 5 minutes of an attempted QSO there was a "Zap" sound and smoke. I opened it up and saw there was a burn mark where a toroid core, wound with fine wire, passes over the loop antenna connection. This circuit fed the RF Ammeter. It looks like it had arced over. I sold it as-is because it looked like a real hassle to get in there and rewind the toroid.

Another time I bought a brand new MFJ-9420 QRP SSB transceiver. I tried to use it a number of times with very mediocre results. Eventually I just got fed up and sold it. Guy who bought it said the output transistor was no good. No wonder I never got anywhere with it.

I bought a new MFJ-1786 loop antenna from them. It wouldn't tune up. I opened it up, the plates of the variable cap were mashed together, bolts holding the variable cap were loose too.

At that time I had a rural address and returning something so bulky to the city in my car was a hassle so I abandoned it until my steam settled down, then I repaired the damage. I don't have a rural address any longer, I have the loop mounted in a tree and it seems to work ok now.

MFJ seems to be like GM, Ford or Chrysler these days - neat ideas on paper but very poorly executed in the real world. So I'm not a big fan of MFJ.

73s