ad: elecraft

RF-Seismograph picked up the M6.5 from Idaho at 23:52 UTC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Apr 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

See post above.

Still waiting for you to make a cogent scientific response to the results of the research presented.

Pheel

2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

3. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember when Eratosthenese not only proved the earth was round, but measured its circumference to within a percent of its presently known value?

He died in 194 BC, about 1600 years before Columbus sailed.

Every educated person in Columbus' time knew the Earth was round, but most just thought it would be an impossibly long voyage to reach India by sailing West from Europe.

Sailors were especially aware of the Earth's roundness and approximate circumference, because they used sightings of Polaris to measure their latitude, and in turn, to tell how far north or south they needed to sail to reach their home port.

https://www.mat.uc.pt/~helios/Mestre/Novemb00/H61iflan.htm

5. AA5H

AA5H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually your both wrong...

The Earth is not round, it's an oblate spheroid.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are different phenomena involving RF and seismic activity.

One oft-reported item is the creation of very strong LF or VLF signals prior to major seismic events. I had a report from a scientist ham who was at Mt. St. Helens when it erupted. The night before the eruption, he detected these very strong signals, localized to the area near the volcano. Similar incidents were documented in Europe prior to large quakes.

The one I have observed involves rapid Doppler shift, like that heard on signals passing through the aurora on HF, creating an echo effect. This was observed on all ham bands from 160-20 meters on signals from the LA basin prior to a major quake there. I've only heard this once, but it's been reported many times by others. My father said he'd heard it three times in his many years on the air. Unless you have a habit of tuning the HF bands a lot, you would probably miss it. Ripples in the ionosphere have been detected by satellites hours prior to certain quakes, and the conjecture is that those ripples cause the Doppler. There are several theories on what causes the ripples - including gravity waves.

The stuff being examined here is different again. He is observing some strange behavior in the ionosphere.

KK4NSF likes this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's easy to laugh at this, which is because of the populist way in which this work is advanced as evidence of anything at all.

But it would be silly to close the mind to the possibility and therefore the pursuit of properly-conducted research. A Piezo-like effect has been widely reported for decades, even in humdrum places like the UK, to produce aerial lights in hilly country, by which I don't mean 'UFO' or aircraft lights, but flashes of whole-sky light locally.

Then there is the much more well-researched and observed lights of Hessdalen, Norway. That appears fantastical and the work of cranks at first glance, but very clearly is real.

Remember, scientists and educators laughed and actively told kids to ignore plate tectonics in the mid-20th century. So there are things obvious to us now that were not obvious within a human lifetime. So closing the mind is the worst sin of all.

VE7DXW and AC0OB like this.
  8. AI6LY

AI6LY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worthy of rigorous experimentation?
    https://hackaday.com/2019/11/12/hf-propagation-and-earthquakes/

"...The theory goes that chemical bonds in the mineral grains of the rock, specifically the peroxy bonds that occur between two oxygen atoms, are broken by microfractures. This leaves a charge imbalance, with one side of the peroxy bond with an excess of electrons, and the other side with a positive hole. These holes tend to migrate from high stress to unstressed areas of the rock, which leads them to eventually reach the surface, leaving it with a net positive charge. As stress in the rock below increases, the number of positive holes reaching the surface rapidly multiplies, drawing electrons from the atmosphere to balance the charge. The moving charges generate an enormous electromagnetic field that can reach all the way up to the ionosphere, creating just the kind of anomalies that Professor Heki observed..."

VE7DXW and KK4NSF like this.
  9. K0RKH

K0RKH Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K0RKH

That makes a lot of sense. It's not hard to see that there is a direct connection with the timing of events . I doubt that it could have been caused by loose connections of some transmitter site or power grid . I am surprised than this correlation hasn't been noticed before.

VE7DXW likes this.
  11. K0RKH

According to some on here , the poor guy trying to share something interesting should not have even showed up on here.
    Sorry, Buddy.

12. PA0SWX

PA0SWX Ham Member QRZ Page

These is are Travelling Ionospheric Disturbances (TID). Earthquakes generates gravitational waves who chance the TEC ratio in the ionosphere.
    Nothing new, it's a well know phenomenon.

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-05 om 19.17.57.png

VE7DXW likes this.
  13. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I TRUST THE GUY IN THE PICTURE WITH THE STRAIGHT "ORANGE HAIR" MORE!!! :)

14. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Poor Beaker. I really felt bad for all the @#*! he had to endure!

KD0XL likes this.
  15. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW I see so much negativity

science has proven that birds lose direction, fly odd right before seismic events

some folks even feel off balance etc

so these radio waves dont surprise me

VE7DXW likes this.