ad: elecraft

Solar cycle 25 prediction panel 5/4/19

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0YRX, Apr 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

bands must be getting better...worked a Texas station on 20 psk on 4/22/19 @ 19:00z 14.070 khz.

2. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I gotta ask , who was around 4500 years ago to tell ya what the weather was like, and what the solar cycle was doing? Sorry but I hada ask.

3. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ice cores.

W4CWL and N7KO like this.
  4. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

OK , Interesting , I am speechless

5. N2FRB

N2FRB Ham Member QRZ Page

IT"S SCEICE ! RIGHT?

6. SP3SUX

SP3SUX Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember 1989: I made a 3 ele quad from bamboo sticks. put it up on a 10 storey building. 28 MHz was open 18 hours per day, 21 and 14 Mhz round the clock. Going to bed meant you could miss a rare Pacific station. California stations were like a swarm. Beacons on 28MHz were heard nonstop. Even 1 or 5W beacons from W6, KH6, ZL, VK. You could talk to W6 even on 10m FM ! It was like local 2m FM QSO ! there were days when the 10m band was open at midnight to 3 AM.
    All with a humble 3 ele bamboo quad and a modest IC-735...
    anyway, next month I will be QRV from Mindanao as DV8/KH7EA. 100W, hexbeam.
    73 de Irek SP3SUx in London, England.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    W4CWL and W1YW like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

All true!

8. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's talk reality
    Solar Cycle 24 has been DOCUMENTED as the WORSE SOLAR CYCLE in recorded history.
    The next 3 Solar Cycles will be worse than Solar Cycle 24 according to Long Term Solar Forecasts
    The Sun is entering a quiet period where sun spots will be sparse to none.
    Given this forecast we can only hope that the forecasters are wrong though that is very unlikely
    No matter what , for those of us who have played radio forever , we have memories of what Ham Radio was
    Fortunate to have enjoyed Ham Radio during its Hey Day

[​IMG]

9. KL7DN

KL7DN Ham Member QRZ Page

DX BS... Get on 80 meters and talk with your neighbors...

N9NY likes this.
  10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Having lived and operated thru Cycle 19 I was completely spoiled and the following ones were all a letdown by comparison. Some times 10M was open around the world for days. That was also when I discovered the "magic" of 6M.

OTOH I do remember a few great F layer openings on 6M during Cycle 22 that started with EU, then to AF and on to SA/CA and ended in VK and ZL. I was working at home then and got very little of that done!!

Carl

11. KC2LM

KC2LM Ham Member QRZ Page

The sun spot numbers are now, zero. How could it get weaker? Are we to move into negative sunspot numbers?

12. G4PWO

G4PWO Ham Member QRZ Page

top tip in low sunspots: use an aerial with a very low angle of radiation (a simple vertical right next to the sea is what i use).

you might be suprised at how much is still coming in at really low angles on 20m and above!

13. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

No bro! Maunder Minimum! 1645 to 1715 . Zero sunspots

14. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

The science guys are saying it's going to be about the same. I would favor their opinion over the front-porch "physicists".

KA0HCP and WD4IGX like this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The science guys are only talking about sunspots and not about LF thru VHF propagation. It is the active hams that discover various openings that often defy explanations. Others just sit behind their keyboards and make believe they are experts when they tell others to not waste money on decent antennas for 10-15M.
    Granted a wet noodle and 5W on SSB from an apartment will experience very little of this propagation but FT8 and beyond will provide many pleasant surprises for those willing to make the effort and also others to upgrade from Tech.

It is a well known and repeatable fact that 6M opens every year coast to coast and intercontinental DX, and does not depend upon what the sun decides to do. It is called Sporadic E for a reason. There are several DX alert websites that report those openings in near real time so constant monitoring is a thing of the past for the less than paranoid operator. We are entering the E season now and it will peak in June-July.

Carl