ad: Mountaingoat-1

The FCC fights back!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6LYW

KM6LYW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious if I take a baofeng to a free country outside the FCC's domain, will it be seized by the US Empire at the border? CEPT nations use slightly different bands, requiring the use of a boaofeng or marsmod radio.

N7EVL and KF4ZKU like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, If it has a DTMF pad.

KM6LYW likes this.
  3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

5. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SO? SO? SO??? Gimme a break OB, in that THE CHINEE RADIOS are not playing by the "type acceptance RULES", they're NOT SUPPOSE TO HAVE BROADBAND CAPABILITIES, PERIOD!!! I guess YOU DON'T CARE??? I do!!! It's BAD ENOUGH THAT ANYBODY CAN "PURCHASE" A HAM RIG WITHOUT "PROOF of LICENSE"!!! Heck!!! Go to AMAZON or ANY OTHER ONLINE STORE, they're SELLING HAM RIGS TO ANYBODY who's got the $$$

KF4ZKU likes this.
  6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    I GUESS you need a "MEMORY REFRESHER" !!! As had been posted by (W5TXR):
    The FCC just released Public Notice DA 18-980, Enforcement Advisory No. 2018-03 Dated 24 SEP 18 that states:
    TWO-WAY VHF/UHF RADIOS MAY NOT BE IMPORTED, ADVERTISED, OR SOLD IN THE UNITED
    STATES UNLESS THEY COMPLY WITH THE COMMISSION’S RULES.

K5TXR likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my Baofeng UV-5R from Amazon on July 5th, 2013, over 5 years ago, for $54. Still works great. It IS Part 90 type accepted - https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/repo...n_id=n+gY1ooaqEevhls5IkVd1g==&fcc_id=ZP5BF-5R

And like my APX7000, it can transmit on services that it is not allowed - MURS, for example.

So, tell me what's wrong here?

N7EVL and KM6LYW like this.
  8. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I bought my Baofeng UV-5R from Amazon on July 5th, 2013, over 5 years ago, for $54. Still works great. It IS Part 90 type accepted -https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/tcb/repo...n_id=n+gY1ooaqEevhls5IkVd1g==&fcc_id=ZP5BF-5R"

Simply being Part 90 compliant isn't sufficient; have you seen the documentation Motorola supplied to the FCC in getting the APX7000 type accepted?

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh? What regulations are you referring to? I can transmit on my APX, or my UV-5R on a Part 90 frequency legally (so long that I am licensed to do so). Motorola submitted and obtained other type acceptances, but it's not relevant to Part 90. Both radios are compliant.

What other documentation is needed and missing?

10. AA5CT

Repeating, have you seen the documentation Motorola supplied to the FCC in getting the APX7000 type accepted?

11. AA5CT

The SPECIFIC document I'm referring to is this: https://fccid.io/AZ489FT7036/Letter/Frequency-Justification-Letter-3356914

It is the document that Motorola supplied to the FCC (and that BAOFENG did not) to justify getting type acceptance across the w-i-d-e frequency range of 136-174 MHz. I think I made reference to that wide freq range in another post, maybe not in this thread.

Emphasizing: Baofeng did not file seek to gain type acceptance for additional FCC 'Parts' nor qualify for use their radio's use on a variety of Federal frequencies AS Motorola has done for the APX7000 and the FCC is objecting to Boafang's sale of product on that basis.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The letter is just that, it doesn't grant Motorola anything. Part 90 is still Part 90. The FCC STILL lists the grant, and has made no move (that I am aware of) to rescind it.

The Kenwood NX-3220 does 136-174Mhz, as does the Icom F3011 and countless other Part 90 radios. Motorola's own letter - that you posted - acknowledges that it is "a violation of FCC rules if this device operates on unauthorized frequencies". Again, BOTH the APX and the VU-5R can transmit on Part 95 MURS frequencies, NEITHER of which are type accepted.

It is either a violation to have this "wide" frequency range, or it isn't. If you make it illegal for one, you make it illegal for all.

N7EVL likes this.
  13. WA6VPS

WA6VPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually Baofeng did submit a frequency justification letter... https://fccid.io/ZP5BF-5R/Letter/Justification-Letter-1684287

14. AA5CT

15. AA5CT