ad: HamHats-1

The FCC fights back!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Sep 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N5RYH

N5RYH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some hams will only sell to other Hams. Perhaps it is time or Dealer to ensure the person is a licensed Amateur radio operator

KF7PCL, WQ4G and W5TXR like this.
  2. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

You get what you pay for. The big name manufacturers paid for the R&D, have quality control, paid for a marketing, etc...

Its no suprise the Chineese can sell it cheaper when they use/steal another manufacturer's design and roll them out in massive quantities.

No need for advertisement because there so cheap everyone is talking about them. That's not competition, it's theft.

I own a boafeng so I'm not looking down on you for buying one.

N4KRX, KN4PHS and WQ4G like this.
  3. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NK2U, WQ4G, W5TXR and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The PRC radios are, for the most part, high quality and feature filled. The point here is that the market dynamics should be determined by the REGULATED user scenario. Not by dumping transceivers designed to cross multiple user markets, all of which have different regulation criteria.

It is not a personal right to have the opportunity to jam public safety channels with a 'ham' transceiver ---purchased without a ham license. This example is typical of such present issues.

KF7PCL, N2EY and WQ4G like this.
  5. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Within the confines and within the borders of the USA; not necessarily true of the rest of the world and/or our hemisphere even ...

6. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's because China is King at stealing / reverse engineering / copycat our (and some others) legitimate products.
    Yes, there is a look-a-like FT-8900 for about half the price, you think they just by coincidence their quad band mobile transceiver just happens to look exactly like the real deal?
    China makes counterfeit Nike shoes and ships the to the US , thankfully they got busted Millions of $$ in counterfeit designer shoes, clothing, ladies handbags DVD's, music CD's and amateur transceivers and the list goes on.....
    it's the same as us downloading pirate music and movies that are copyrighted...It unethical !
    I can't believe I even have to explain this? I don't want to fund the Chinese so their economy can flourish, When ours is floundering. Simple economics. I'm a proud American...America First!

N4KRX, KI5AIU, KR3DX and 2 others like this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

You are mistaking tears of joy for tears of sadness.

Dan KI4AX

8. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps D.J.T. will make China pay for the enforcement......

Bwahahahahaha! LMAO.....

Dan KI4AX

N2EY likes this.
  9. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know there is no such thing as Part 97 Certification...right? Are you sure you're licensed?

W6SAE, W5CJA, MM0HVU and 1 other person like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't dispute that there are MAJOR copyright violations going on in China. Companies who manufacture there need to take precautions, or choose differently.

However, when it comes to HT radios, I know of none that are made in the US, even Motorola's APX's are made in Malaysia. Furthermore, I don't know what radio Baofeng copied when they built the UX-5R, it's physically unique (that I am aware - doesn't look like anything else on the market), and electrically I know of no other "Big 5" radio that uses the RDA1846S and RDA5802N chipsets, so I don't know how it can be considered a copy.

Lastly, I don't know that you can say that China's economy is exactly "flourishing" - it's stumbling after a pretty amazing 30 year run. But you have to look where they came from 30 years ago... And is the US economy "floundering"?

The same was said of Japan in the 60's thru 80's, was it not? Funny you're defending Yaesu in a way!

Your generalization of China, and the HT's that come out of China is just that. Not all the HT's made in China are illegal.

KF7PCL likes this.
  11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

No, but they should be...

12. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Why?

W6SAE, KF7PCL and N4AAB like this.
  13. N4BAK

N4BAK Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I don't think many have keyed in on is the following statement from the notice (emphasis mine):

"Amateur Radio Exception. There is one exception to this certification requirement: if a device is capable of operating only on frequencies that the FCC has allocated for use by Amateur Radio Service licensees, it does not require FCC equipment authorization,8 and an amateur licensee may use his or her license to operate such radios. However, many two-way radios that purport to operate on amateur frequencies also operate on frequencies that extend beyond the designated amateur frequency bands. If a two-way VHF/UHF radio is capable of operating outside of the amateur frequency bands, it cannot be imported, advertised, sold, or operated within the United States without an FCC equipment certification."

Now I just checked a couple "Chinese radios" specs and many transmit outside of the US Amateur VHF/UHF bands. Based on my reading of the above that makes them illegal to use. That being said the manufactures could hopefully update the firmware and fix that. Also I wonder if the user disabled operation outside of the Amateur bands if that would be sufficient.

Not looking to start a debate just interested on others take on this.

PD0JBV likes this.
  14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Then they would need to be Part 90 (or whatever frequencies they cover) accepted. Even a Motorola APX8000 can be programmed on FRS frequencies, but is not legal to operate there.

KF7PCL likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because sale into the US for these multi-service radios is illegal. Alibaba and the Ebay equivalents need to meet the same standards for type acceptance for ham radio as all other imports.

Note this is a US-oriented thread. Hence the FCC issue is pertinent.

AC0OB and WQ4G like this.