ad: Schulman-1

worlds largest teapot

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W8LPN, Jul 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8LPN

W8LPN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all.
    Just wanted to pass on this special event that my club will be doing August 6-12. W8T will be on the air celebrating the worlds Largest Teapot located in Chester WV. Will be on several bands/ modes. Also on Aug 11 will be operating from the Teapot at the teapot festival running at least 1 HF station at the event. Hope to work you.

2. K6WXA

K6WXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hate to tell you, but the world's largest teapot is located in Navasota, Texas. Maybe you should operate "W5T" from there. :)

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hate to tell you.... :rolleyes:

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11259

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2018-7-22_16-49-57.png

K6WXA likes this.
  4. W5MBH

W5MBH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And, here it is:
    TXNAVteapot_tammiv.jpg

But, I'll try to make contact with you anyway :)

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to see someone turn one of the teapots into a garage and have one of these parked in it.

[​IMG]

WG7X, K7JEM and ND6M like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

What a fun pick for an operating location.

Other teapots:

[​IMG]

The Teapot Dome gas station was built in 1922 and installed between Zillah and Granger, WA. In 1932, it was moved to Zillah. The round building is 15 feet tall and has a conical roof, a sheet metal handle and a concrete spout. The teapot shape was a humorous reference to the Teapot Dome scandals that rocked President Harding's administration in the 1920s. The building was moved again to a new location in Zillah in 1977 when I-82 was built. It was restored in the mid-1980s and continued to sell gas until around 2004. It remained vacant until 2012. At that point, it was restored and moved to its current location where it is used as a visitors center. This would make a great teapot OL

The Texas teapot (converted gain storage bin) is in Texas
    [​IMG]
    Houston is 71 miles (114 km) southeast of Navasota, College Station is 22 miles NW of the teapot. With no power at the site, like not a good OL.

The Stokesdale, NC Teapot
    [​IMG]
    Now located at the Countryside Manor Retirement Home. Might be a good OL.

I think different "roadside attractions" might offer a great subset of operating location, along the lines of the Route 66 efforts of the past few years.

I hope W8LPN posts the results of of his mini-expedition....

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

This one is a coffee pot - called "The Java Jive" - it's a local landmark around where I live. I haven't been there in years, but used to spend a lot of time in The Jive after work.

Dave
    W7UUU

Link to the story: https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2977

upload_2018-7-23_11-35-48.png

WG7X likes this.
  9. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not?... TOPA. We've got everything else.

10. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Too many conflicting claims here. I sense the makings of a tempest in a teapot on the ZED.:eek:

K6WXA likes this.
  11. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

Activating various roadside attractions is actually a very cool idea. KL7KN mentioned the Route 66 event. We could have a Lincoln Highway event, for example, maybe centered on some of the remaining Lincoln Highway sites, such as the bridges that have LINCOLN HIGHWAY carved into the abutments-there is one just off Interstate 80 west of Reno, Nevada. Or maybe a Ghost Towns event, with go box equipped hams operating from obscure mining camps in the Far West.

K3RW likes this.
  12. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at post #5.

13. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh. Ha ha.

14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

History in the making another 'Tea Pot Dome Scandal'
    upload_2018-7-24_10-4-44.jpeg

15. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We've got big furniture in NC ......
    Thomasville,NC, Worlds Largest Duncan PHyfe chair

[​IMG]

Chest of drawers in High Point, NC

[​IMG]

Winston Salem has a coffee pot ....

[​IMG]

Still have one of these in Winston Salem. I have a geocache located here.

[​IMG]

Matt