ad: TinyPaddle-1

ARRL: It's not just the bylaws that need changin'

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KL7SB, Jan 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

RACES activations are a different matter. RACES activations are called by the county Emergency Manager and the hams involved are part of the official government response to the situation that caused the activation. The records of the ham's involvement, which should include any messages they handled, are the property of the governmental entity that authorized their activation and are part of the official government response to the situation, and are therefore, subject to disclosure through FOIA inquiries. This is poorly understood by too many involved in ARES/RACES activities.

N5PZJ likes this.
  2. AI0K

AI0K Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I understand that. I also understand ECs don't gather RACES reports - that is the duty of the RACES Radio Officer - who may or may not be the same person. And those reports don't go to the SEC - they go to the appropriate Emergency Management officer.

K8BZ likes this.
  3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was in his division I sure as hell would want to know why he was censured. When it came time to vote for director I really would like to know what heinous offense was committed. Definitely draw the line at
    drowning puppies and kittens :).

Grape or Raspberry? :rolleyes:

W0FS and AI7PM like this.
  4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="K4AGO, post: 4524322, member: Just because you don't like something does NOT make it wrong.

But if they happen to be wrong do we not have the right to express our opinion? Expressing our opinion to most of the leadership of the ARRL results in a condescending reply, so I guess we are stuck with forums like this.

AI7PM likes this.
  5. WB6RDV

WB6RDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it very specifically says that one is NOT free to say how he/she voted on an issue and if one doesn't like the outcome of a Board decision, he/she should resign. http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ODV/ARRL Code of Conduct.pdf
    See section 6c and 8e.

N2SUB, K0IDT and KK5JY like this.
  6. WD4HXG

WD4HXG Ham Member QRZ Page

The simple fact is the current Executive and Board failed
    miserably to avoid presenting an image of impropriety.
    Any explanation rendered thus far to explain that failure
    has not disproved they engaged in behind the scene
    improper acts. And lastly the condescending attitude toward
    the membership seems to clearly articulate the attitude
    there is nothing the membership can do about it, so shut up
    and eat your sandwich.

W2GD, AI7PM and AE1P like this.
  7. WU4F

WU4F Ham Member QRZ Page

I will be departing - I liken it to hearing seeing feeling the government and how it is run. I never was a politician and shy away from the barrel of worms it produces.

8. KC8RP

KC8RP QRZ Lifetime Member #265 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Unpaid, volunteer ARRL Directors are employees? What am I missing?

10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

What you are missing is that employment status is not determined by whether or not you receive monetary compensation.

11. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What you are missing is they are ELECTED representatives of the membership, they work for us........or are supposed to.

KK5JY likes this.
  12. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...and with the primary function of communicating with us (both directions) about issues that matter.

13. W5JON

W5JON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So I guess that you and your wife are EMPLOYEES of the ARRL. So why is it that the ARRL does not show that it has HOUNDREDS of EMPLOYEES?

You seem to not understand the RESPONSIBILIES, and what shapes the vote of a MEMBER ELECTED, Board of Directors (ALL Volunteers), and what changed two years ago, after the past 100+ years of success. And that the ELECTED MEMBERS that are seated on the Board of Directors, require the input AND OPINION of those that ELECTED them, so the may represent those MEMBERS, in their Board vote. If you wish to not give your opinion to your ELECTED DIRECTOR on the Board of Directors, that is another one of YOUR problems. I have given my OPINION to MY Director(s) for 57 years, and will continue to do so...

John W5JON

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    W0FS and W2GD like this.
  14. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes your director should communicate with you ON MATTERS THAT CONCERN YOU. But NOT EVERYTHING CONCERNS YOU. Manners, common decency and sometimes the law dictates what can and cannot be disclosed to you. People need to mind their own affairs and stay out of affairs that are not their responsibility. Why is it so difficult for some people to understand that?

Why do a minority hand full of people want to try and ruin a grand institution and spoil it for a majority who are well satisfied with things as they are. Why do a minority group of people pretend they represent the majority? Why do a minority group of people think they can steer a multi million dollar not for profit corporation when they have no clue as to what is going on?

Why do a minority hand full of people think and believe that they have a reason and a right to know EVERYTHING that goes on in a Corporate Board Room. The fact of the matter is, they don't. It does not matter whether you like it or not, you do not have that right.

Being a member of the ARRL does not give you that right. you get representation. The ARRL has done an outstanding job of being an advocate for ham radio. operators. If you don't agree with that statement, that's fine. If you don't think the ARRL is fairly representing you as a ham radio operator, that is your right. But it is nor your right to spoil it for the vast majority of us who believe that the ARRL is doing an outstanding job just the way it is without any guidance or misguidance from you.

It borders on insanity to give the ARRL $50.00 a year when you are convinced that they serve no useful purpose. Anyone who believes that the Board of Directors is a band of thugs as one gentleman called them, should not renew their membership and should leave the rest of us to suffer the consequences of ARRL membership. I have been told to shut up and I have been told that I need mental help because I see merit in the ARRL. Those remarks speak volumes about the character of the person making the remarks.

I personally know members of the Board of Directors of the ARRL. I KNOW that they are not a band of thugs. I KNOW that they have the best interest of ham radio at heart. I am a proud member of the ARRL and I proudly support the ARRL.

I have been a ham radio operator and a member of the ARRL since before some of the dissenters here have been alive. I am a retired professional with a JD and a PHD in Engineering. (yes, my Father had a lot of money and I had a tiny bit of intelligence) I have worked as a corporate lawyer for two Fortune 500 companies in the field of Air Transport. Lastly I have retired from my position as Operations Officer of a State Government that will go unmentioned.

I know, from both education and experience, that it is illegal for the Board of Directors to disclose some of the information that this minority handful of dissenters think they have a right to know. It is unlawful for this group of well meaning but misguided dissenters to have what they are asking for. That is the law with regard to every corporation in the United States and many other countries in the world. Much of what you are asking for, you are not ever going to get. If you did get the information you are asking for, someone would probably end up in prison for disclosing that information. That is the way it is. I know you don't like it, but, that still is the way it is.

If you cannot or will not live with the rule of law, it would make sense to spend your $50.00 on a CQ magazine subscription every year. You can go to the library to read QST. After all, from what I read here, QST is the only benefit most of you think you receive from ARRL membership. The WEB services, VE Program, Technical Information Service, ARES, Equipment Insurance Plan, Contests, Awards, Public Relations, QSL Service, Log Book of the World, Regulation Information, Advocacy, continuing Education and other member benefits are of no value or benefit to you as they are to me and the vast majority of loyal ARRL members.

You want to know Board Room secrets and the fact that you can't have that information is eating you up inside. This whole mess is like a bad marriage. Instead of bickering and fighting, get a divorce. Go on about your life and find an organization that makes you happy.

That my friend is all I have to say about this sad state of affairs.

73 and I wish you the best life has to offer. May you find inner peace. K4AGO

KS4TD and W4JHU like this.
  15. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain...