ad: MLSons-1

Ham Patents Harry Potter Cloak

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Dec 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8CI

W8CI QRZ Lifetime Member #85 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Chip,
    Congratulations on a job well done. Great to see you recognized for your astonishing inventions!
    You add so much to amateur radio...and beyond.
    Michael Kalter W8CI

2. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Chip,

Even though this was expected to come through, until it does it's never a done deal. You never know when there will be an Alexander Graham Bell or Marconi lurking in the wings with better political connections. I have been totally unsuccessful in even getting provisional patents so far. And I have nothing quite on the scale of fractals or cloaking.

For those who are looking at the visual spectrum, a very small part of the total spectrum, and not seeing Harry Potter disappear, I would ask that they see this demonstrated in person (which I have) and watch a Romulan Warbird cloak itself from the view screen and radar and sensors on the deck of any of the Enterprises. That is where this technology will really come into play. We have made some of our military aircraft and ships harder for radar to "see" today, imagine a tomorrow when they can cloak themselves.

I still like Tesla more, but agree that without Marconi radio would never have developed as it did. Inventing something is a very difficult thing that not many people can do. Making it practical, useful and commercial is an even harder task. You are one of the truly rare individuals that excel in both areas. Of all the people that Carole Perry has introduced me to, you are the one that gives me the most inspiration.

AJ4XM, Tom Loughney

N4QX and NL7W like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am humbled and grateful for everyone's wonderful comments.

Ham radio is so underappreciated by those who think we are some historic anachronism. I deal with them everyday in business. Let's hope we all can continue to show them our worth in EMCOMMS, innovation, friendship and fun!

HNY to all!
    Chip W1YW

NL7W, WD3N and W0PV like this.
  4. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it depends on the frequency. On the higher wavelengths the object is cloaked from a standpoint of RF. But at the lower wavelengths that our eyes see the object is visible. It's all a jiggling particle=photon thing.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  5. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip once again I say excellent and through you it shows our hobby in a positive light (no pun intended). But can I use it to cloak my 200 foot tower so that my local HOA can't see it?:D

6. AB1UP

AB1UP Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AB1UP

AB1UP Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Chip. Thirty years ago I was experimenting with fractal antennas and class E amplifiers (used to be a hardware engineer for Digital Equipment and had a former call of WA1HIR). It has been an amazing progression in so many technologies. So little time so much to explore. 73, Erik (AB1UP)

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That's awesome Erik:)

So much for the myth that hams haven't experimented with fractal antennas....

9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Without having to "GOOGLE" IT, what applications does (FRACTUAL TECHNOLOGY) have for Amateur Radio uses???

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Fractal not fractual..... mostly antennas at this juncture, from what I've read

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  11. N8CMQ

N8CMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did this start as paid work and develop into play, or did you learn how to make play pay?
    As it sounds like you really enjoy your work!

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Started as play (with fractal antennas). Tried to bring the work on-campus (was a prof at BU) but my dean wouldn't allow me even a closet to store my (own) Flea market equipment.

He said that he had invented fractal antennas years before when he bent a coat hanger to replace his broken AM car antenna. No need to go further.

True story. Eventually he was replaced; he was an alcoholic.

I went further: I started a company and left BU when the Marines asked me to work on EW stuff in 2002.

Nope. I paid for it (cloak development) by selling a couple of vintage guitars. But I got my money back from my company;-)

Also a true story .

Most young people have myths on how new innovations get hatched, funded, and nurtured. They probably believe in Santa Claus also!

The work is fun. People--not always good-- make it worthwhile.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  13. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing. I had no idea....many thanks Brennan!

Sometimes it is deleterious to have a good memory. Sounds like I should erase some old 1994 cob webs as a New Year resolution!

Just so everyone knows, I am a life member of the ARRL and a strong supporter. I do not agree with some recent decisions,but that shouldn't be construed as meaning I don't or won't work with folks in the League.

Overall the ARRL is a highly positive force for amateur radio, and doing terrific efforts in getting us to do what we do best--get on the air! DO magic!

Chip W1YW

N9PBD likes this.
  15. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip: You share my same relationship with ARRL, as I expressed a while back, here:
    http://www.arrl.org/news/my-marriage-to-arrl

I have just finished my ARRL receiving antenna book (probably my Magnum Opus to this point), my fifth book with ARRL. The benefits far outweigh the heartburn....at least for science geeky folks like us. Keep up the great work!
    Eric