ad: Retevis-1

Help other hams! Earn CASH, radio gear, discounts, and more!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W4LKO, Oct 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you passionate about amateur radio? Do you like helping people get into the hobby? Earn cash, products, trips, discounts and inside access to the industry while helping others pick out the right gear for the hobby. We are looking for experienced hams to join the GigaParts team – helping hams from the comfort and convenience of your own computer, any time you're available!
    Click here to apply.

Hurry! We have a limited number of openings.

More information regarding this opportunity:

* Is this a part time job?
    No. It isn't a job, it's more of an extension of the hobby -- something to do in your spare time, whenever it's convenient for you. There are no set schedules and you can chat whenever you want.

* What's in it for me?
    Just for showing up and getting high customer satisfaction scores, you'll earn employee discounts, demo equipment, swag and participation in drawings for trips, cash, and prizes. This opportunity is mostly about helping, not selling, but if you help a customer complete a purchase, you'll earn points that can be redeemed for ACTUAL cash or merchandise. Plus, earning some side money while chatting about your favorite hobby isn’t that bad of a deal!

* What are you looking for in the ideal candidate?

Our ideal Expert is experienced in ham radio and is really good at being able to use online resources for answering tough questions. They are genuine, helpful, patient, and skilled at asking good questions to uncover the customer’s needs quickly. Typing 30+ words per minute is almost a necessity. The ideal applicant works well as part of a team, and will enjoy competition on metrics like customer service ratings. Learning about new products before they are released to the general public and getting to borrow an expensive HF rig for a month is a significant benefit to you, if you’re the right person for this position.

* Can I participate in the evenings?

Any time of day actually! We have customers on our website 24x7 and many of them are new to ham radio and need help choosing the right equipment. If you're available at 1am, you can bet there's somebody looking at the new Yaesu FT-991A and wondering if they actually need an external auto-tuner for their G5RV. If 1am is a convenient time for you to chat online and you know the answer to that question, you're probably a good fit!

* It seems kind of odd to have non-employees helping customers – doesn’t GigaParts risk losing customers due to poor service?
    Superior customer satisfaction is our primary goal. We've had experts from the ham community helping our customers for nearly a year and the results have exceeded our expectations.

With this program we are trying to do something new -- combine the knowledge of the community with the speed of the internet.We have a few more positions open, so if you think you'd enjoy the satisfaction of helping other hams in a highly motivated and highly skilled team, along with the perks associated with participation, Click here to apply.

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you make it sound like it is a real paying job, it is not. Do you offer a federal or state minimum wage, NO.

You should be a shamed of yourself for posting this misleading employee wanted add that says " We are looking for experienced hams to join the GigaParts team " There is no team unless you are paid a wage.

Ham radio is self serving, and everyone trying to make money off of it seems to think that because it is ham radio that they don't need to pay you a minimum wage for working for them.

Never seen this anywhere else except in ham radio. If you want me to work for you, or help you make money at your business then you need pay me a wage, No exceptions. Just because it is ham radio doesn't change the federal or state minimum wage law.

If I work for someone I deserve get paid.

M0REU, K2NCC, K1JFJ and 1 other person like this.
  3. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

It says "earn cash"

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

...But wait! Order now...

Sounds like they want to trade mad skilz for possibly winning something in a raffle, or eventually earning enough points (if you live long enough) to pick something off the bottom shelf. The good guys are already doing this for free -- likely all they'll get are ex-CBers who want free swag.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. W4LKO

I'd like to make sure there's no confusion here --

This opportunity isn't something we are asking you to quit your day job for. This opportunity is for those who enjoy helping others get into the amateur radio hobby or like meeting people who share the same hobby -- it is not replacing your full time job! Now with that said, we've seen our best experts average $7.50 - $10 per hour -- all while sitting in the comfort of their home and working the schedule they set for themselves. Not everyone will average that much, but it is possible. Combine that with the other perks of the position such as employee discounts and it's not a bad gig in your spare time!

It's not a great fit for everyone and we get that. We are looking for people whose first objective is to help others with the amateur radio hobby. The cash payout and perks of the job are secondary benefits and seen as icing on the cake.

6. QRZFAN2

QRZFAN2 QRZ Member

Anyone who attends Huntsville hamfest knows how much gigaparts gives back to the hobby. Great folks there. 73 Jeff

KI4ZUQ and N2SUB like this.
  7. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this open to non-US residents?

8. W4LKO

Yes it is! I'd say a majority (but not all) of the customers you would be helping speak English, so as long as you are comfortable with that!

9. HB9FUH

I am British, so that may or may not be a problem for the language ;) The time difference might work in my favour.

10. HB9FUH

By the way, your certificate has expired - you might want to look into that, I got several warnings from Safari on Mac.

11. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, what is the average "pay" per hour for this opportunity? How many hours per day on average are people working for that?

12. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks ok to me. But the page links to un-secure connections.

upload_2017-10-27_8-31-31.png

The site has the Facebook Virus. :eek:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    KK5JY and N6QIC like this.
  13. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From what I'm reading, it is the same deal as when I used to sell cars, but without a draw. While they say it's not mainly about sales, you would make a percentage if you help them sell something. However, most of your time will be spent educating people about the products they are selling. Car salesmen get other perks, like being able to drive fancy new cars, getting new cars at cost, and having full access to the service department. The difference here is that you don't need a cheap suit or heavy cologne, and odds are you could do the job between FT8 contacts.

They seem to be looking for Elmers who can act as good ambassadors for Gigaparts, so in a way those people would join the Gigaparts "team". Since nobody is an expert on everything, this would also be a great learning experience for a seasoned ham. Part 97 says we should all be in it for the "Advancement of the Radio Art". It doesn't mention getting paid, but it is clear that if they sell something you get a kickback. Long story short, I don't see any intentional malice or deception, but that might only be because of my background. Clearly this sort of thing isn't for everyone, and it's certainly not something you should do for the money. To quote the OP: "It isn't a job, it's more of an extension of the hobby"

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    N0TZU likes this.
  14. N6QIC

N6QIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The most I did was hover over the link and compare it to the URL. Never clicked on it, no reason to.

15. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's classic. :) I'll have to remember that one...