ad: CQMM-1

Icom launch innovative IC-R8600 wideband communication receiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Oct 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7IGC

W7IGC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KK4RDI

KK4RDI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree it's a reasonable price for that kind of performance. You've got to admire the state of the art, it filters down to affordable products eventually.

3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What I would love to see is a retro package with a matching transmitter for the HF frequencies including the new LF bands. Separate packages, for a nice setup.

The Drake "C" line for example:

[​IMG]

I also didn't see in the description of the inclusion of standard routine HF decoding software for the plethora of digital modes currently being used.

NL7W and K9PLG like this.
  4. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully they will start adding software upgrade options to the 7300 to enable new bands (If it's software and not hardware lockouts) and features. I wouldn't mind paying a reasonable a la carte for new features that I might use.

5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see..Hmm? Resonant antennas for that coverage will cost me a few thousand more.

...and; I want more buttons, more weight etc for that sort of dough. :)

Curious to see how the sales will be..my money is on "sluggish"

6. KG6UDW

KG6UDW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Impressed by SDR tech innovation's march forward. Cost is not to bad considering what this beautiful wonder of electronics will deliver WOW "Kenwood 990 watch your back".

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The newer bands (e.g., 630m, 2200m) are locked out because there are no LPFs in the transmitter section for those bands. Even if they enable TX on those bands through software, the output still won't be street legal because of the unfiltered spurs.

Radios with a transverter output (e.g., K3, TS-590) can probably add the low bands through software, since the transverter output would have to go through an outboard amplifier to be usable, and at that point, the elimination of spurs becomes "not their problem" anymore.

KG5THG likes this.
  8. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The VAT of 20% is included in the price. $2499 +20% tax is $3120ish. Just about what price in Pounds converts to in USD.

9. W5IQJ

W5IQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Aside from all the technical innovations and spectacular performance features, this radio is still priced too high. While I think Icom builds good equipment, they seem to be bent on making radios more and more expensive as they cram more features into a unit (which most users will probably never use). One thing that's a turn-off for me with this radio is the lack of a built-in AC power supply. My R-71A has the power supply built in, which make it a lot more convenient. Instead with this radio, I've got to keep track of another "wall wart" or a desktop power adapter which just makes for more clutter, if I want to use it in a fixed station environment.

Icom needs to offer a simpler SW receiver with fewer "bells and whistles" which gives good basic performance without the high price tag. Feature-rich technology features should be driving the price down, not up. This radio is an example of Icom making a radio with an almost unlimited number of features just because they can! Another person posted a comment of what is there to listen to on SW these days? That's a good question!

10. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Best looking rigs ever made. In my opinion.

N6SPP and K2WH like this.
  11. W5IQJ

W5IQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What I would like to see is a modernized Collins S-Line. Collins got it right with the industrial design on those rigs. Someone once said Art Collins wanted it to look like a fine camera in the styling. A modernized KWM-2 would be a big winner as long as it didn't go overboard with more-than-needed expensive/unnecessary features.

Back to the Icom thread, Icom should consider making a receiver (or maybe even a transceiver as well) with multiple optional features (e.g spectrum scope, expandable frequency coverage for VHF/UHF/SHF, multiple VFO's, etc.) to allow users to tailor the rig for their needs and preferences, rather than the approach of one rig "does it all". That way you only have to pay for what you want/need.

12. KK5JY

Given how many different SDR receivers there are these days, I'm surprised there aren't more transmitter options just like you describe.

13. KK5JY

This is a great idea.

Interestingly, what I see in other industries is the opposite. I can buy all kinds of cars, from teeny-tiny rice burners to great big trucks and SUVs, often from the same manufacturer. The performance difference between the two extremes is substantial, but they all have an MP3 player and a Bluetooth connection. ;) I wish I could buy a vehicle where the performance and the "junk features" were priced separately.

AK5B likes this.
  14. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.
    It does NOT appear to track trunked P25 Phase I and II networks.
    That's a large downside... especially for government users such as myself.

15. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mary; 2499 Pounds Sterling is a lot more than $2499...