ad: CQMM-1

Beware of a Company called Fantom Dynamics!!

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by W1KGK, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1KGK

W1KGK Ham Member QRZ Page

We signed up to be a distributor for this company and about 2 weeks after our payment was received, we finally got our 2 radios to try. These are Simm radios that was suppose to work on the GSM network..which they do only 2 G systems and AT & T. In our area AT& T is far from being a reliable carrier with lots of dead spots. We have asked questions about only working with 2G systems...no response. This was never told in any specifications or communications from the company. GSM and 2g are a big difference. WE would not recommend any ham radio operator to Buy any Products from Fantom Dynamics.

https://www.fantom.io/ is their address.

Kevin Kerr
    W1KGK
    Plains, Mt

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Why publicly attack a company that sells NON-Ham radio gear on a ham radio forum. You have legal remedies assuming they are located in the USA

KB3ZYN likes this.
  3. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

well I for one am grateful for the heads up, I like gimmick stuff, and who knows I might have come across this site and gave it a go.

2E0DED likes this.
  4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

how about because some of their equipment WILL work on ham bands, and many people on this site would enjoy the functionality they CLAIM, and would be disappointed if it didn't work

so why comment on a post that you have no dog in the fight? just to feel like you have "smacked someone down"?

W2CPD and KG5EXW like this.
  5. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Just returning W1KGK's original intent.............

KM1H likes this.
  6. W1KGK

W1KGK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you look at their site...they are promoting 70cm equipment that works in the HAM Band.

W2CPD and KM1H like this.
  7. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

It does say 2m / 70cm and packet radio. If it is actually type approved for Ham service that would be a touch unbelievable since it is GMRS also??

8. WB7OXP

fwiw,
    there is no such thing as a "type acceptance" for amateur radio re: to uhf/vhf, you can run anything as long as it conforms to the emissions standards

KB3ZYN likes this.
  9. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a new ruling?

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm, yes there is for manufactured radios. Example: The new IC7610 is awaiting "Certification" before being sold in the US. p.s. "Type Acceptance" is no longer used; "Certificated" is the new term.

This note from DX Engineering:

*** IC-7610 transceivers have not yet been released by ICOM for sale in the United States. These radios may not be sold, or be offered for sale, until Type Certification by the F.C.C. has been obtained by ICOM.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  11. WB7OXP

i said "re: to uhf/vhf".

the fcc concern is HF radios that can be operated on (modified to operate on) 27 mhz. there is no certification for amateur UHF/VHF radios.

these radios are UHF/VHF, not HF radios

12. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

i said "re: to uhf/vhf".

the fcc concern is HF radios that can be operated on (modified to operate on) 27 mhz. there is no certification for amateur UHF/VHF radios.

these radios are UHF/VHF, not HF radios

Huh??? Is that correct? I doubt that is indeed the fact. Unauthorized 27mHz usage is the least of worries. I think that it sounds good to you so it must be fact in your mind.... Maybe if you could quote or even direct me to which Part Type Acceptance relates to that HF specific inclusive rule?

WF9Q likes this.
  13. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

14. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G

ATT and Tmobile are about the only 2 networks that still have 2G GSM networks.

I think you are a bit confused about 2G networks supporting GSM.

15. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

AT&T no longer supports 2G... only T-mobile does and who knows how long they will. https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1084805

I purchased a combo '2G/3G cell phone and VHF radio' from another ham. I have not been able to get it to work with any carrier. Could be the phone is damaged, as one of the two SIMM slots will not accept a chip. (I found out accidentally that it DOES still work to call 911!) It could also be because it only utilizes one of the two US 3G bands. I suspect that it worked okay on the old 2G network, as the previous owner had used it with AT&T... but that is no more. Bottom line, be wary of any 'cell phone' type device sold outside of the US... just because it uses some terminology used here in the US, does not mean it is compatible.

As for me, since it still makes 911 calls, has 2m capability and can still act as a smart device over wi-fi, I will keep it in the car as an emergency backup comm.

KA4RFA likes this.