ad: k1jek

Land Ops ARC finds aircraft crash site

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Jan 11, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KJ6YOS

KJ6YOS Ham Member QRZ Page

No Chris, I'm not in any of the aviation forums. Although I enjoy going to many of the websites or youtube vids that are
    relevant to aircraft, both current and past. The Aviation subject is extensive! There are so many great people to be found
    involved in this field, too many to list!!! I think my favorite would be Jimmy Doolittle. I wish I would have met him.

KI6QBM likes this.
  2. KJ6YOS

KJ6YOS Ham Member QRZ Page

The key to finding old crash sites is to do as much research as possible. You will find a lot of mis-information, some intentional
    to try to keep people away. The more info you find, the less you will have to hike! One key bit of info that helps me are the pics,
    By matching the mountain range or the terrain shown in the background once you have established a close proximity.
    I'm not familiar with that B17 you mentioned but if you are a hiker and an explorer its a lot of fun locating these sites.
    KJ6YOS

KI6QBM likes this.
  3. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I see you tomorrow at around 10:00 AM.

4. KI6QBM

Fernando, the LO video is not loaded to your site. It appears on your Youtube timeline because you "liked" it. If you go to your video section you won't see it there. I'll dropbox the trailer to you instead of bringing it with me, but let's not load it until we get back.

5. KI6QBM

Leaving at 0900, running a little late ddue to having to change my U joints last night.

6. KI6QBM

KL7KN, do you have information about other crash as well that you might be willing to share?

KL7KN likes this.
  7. KI6QBM

Fernando, I apologize for the delay. I edited the trailer and will be sending it to you shortly.

8. KI6QBM

Jim are you planning to come out to SAR? It will be located at south end of Cuddeback near Fremont Peak. Mar 11.

9. KJ6BGS

KJ6BGS Ham Member QRZ Page

Great group, great video! I always have a good time helping out, and seeing all the new places.

KI6QBM likes this.
  10. K6GHL

K6GHL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you live in the So Calif area and like to get off the grid, this is a great club to do it with. You learn the capabilities of your equipment. We are starting to use mesh to create our own remote network completely off the grid. The next op we are going to try and connect up with our northern Calif club. Come and join use.

Greg, K6GHL

KI6QBM likes this.
  11. KI6QBM

KJ6BGS, when can you come out for net control?

12. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Would do you no good. Most of the crash recovery operations I supported were in the Nellis Range Complex or on private land. Private land that is posted. Go on the Nellis complex and you get arrested. On the private land, you risk getting shot at.

However, if you are willing to overlook the inherent risks...
    F-15C Eagle aircraft crashed near Alamo, Nevada, about 115 miles northwest of Las Vegas, near U.S. 375 and mile marker 49.9. This is a mix of private and BLM land.

See this sire (http://www.dreamlandresort.com/info/crash_sites.html) it has more crash listings.
    The valley (Pahranagat Valley) that runs south of Alamo, NV, has at least 5 crash aircraft that I know of. It was (and still is AFAIK) the major ingress route to the range complex used for exercises.

The area around Rachel NV has multiple crash sites as well. One was even in town. On July 10, 1986, at about 4:10 pm, two F-16's of the Norwegian Air Force collided in mid-air while participating in Red Flag exercises near Rachel. One of the F-16's crashed within Rachel, only 25 yards (23 m) from the edge of Rachel's mobile home park. The pilot of the downed fighter had ejected safely before the crash, and the other F-16 made it back to Nellis Air Force Base. Apparently, the pilot of the downed F-16 sustained no major injuries. He was transported from the crash site within 20 minutes of the crash by an U.S. Air Force helicopter.

Much of this land is on military restriction so, use care if driving in the area.

I had to turn in all my maps when I shipped out in 1991, so for specific lat/long, I'm afraid I can't offer much help. Given the sheer number of downed aircraft between Las Vegas and Tonopah/Alamo/Ash Springs, it shouldn't be too hard to find some remaining bits of the aircraft....

13. KI6QBM

Thanks Don for the reply. I understand regarding Nellis and private property. I also checked out the link. The most interesting was the dummy missile. We will use care when driving near the restricted areas. Thank you for the info.

14. KI6QBM

Fernando , how did you like the Facebook video of the recoveries?

15. KI6QBM

Here's the official trailer for this episode!