ad: Alphaant-1

GigaParts sold out of Hytera ham radios, now offering special pricing on land mobile substitutes.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KP4UZ, Dec 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

A funny side note... My eyes saw "Hytera" on this thread but my old brain saw "Hysteria". I'm thinking, why would they name a radio Hysteria?

WB4IUY and AA1PR like this.
  2. WD8DSB

WD8DSB Ham Member QRZ Page

AA1PR, thanks. I think I need to make a correction regarding something I said earlier regarding DMR and Yaesu. Looks like Yaesu uses C4FM, and I have seen demonstrations using a Yaesu rig running C4FM on simplex, and therefore no internet connection was involved. I don't understand your comments about Fusion (which is C4FM), and the need for internet connection (that certainly does not appear to be the case). Please explain your internet comment, and thanks. Don (wd8dsb)

AA1PR likes this.
  3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so in the NYC area. Analog reigns supreme.

I have a Fusion rig, the FTM-400xd which will be going on sale shortly, no repeaters in my New Jersey area besides, even though fusion has the best audio reproduction, I think the quality sounds really squeezed.

K2WH

4. K2WH

Are you serious?

Your attempt at comparing DMR to Analog at 2 different repeater sites, with rubber ducks inside a car is totally invalid, means nothing.

The only way you can solve the issue of what mode is better, is at an antenna range, with identical output power into an identical fixed antenna firing at a single antenna where one can make valid measurements.

5. K4NWJ

K4NWJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually it is my investigation. My aforementioned uhf dmr repeater does do better than the co-located vhf fm analog repeater with all other factors being the same.

Your serve.

6. K4NWJ

Actually it appears between this http://www.n2nsa.net and https://www.n2jti.net that DMR is holding steady.

7. K4NWJ

8. K4NWJ

An RD component. Repeaters can be left as "stand alone". A more solid platform with out reliance on link radio.
    Radio required. No tossing a computer headset on opening a window.

As for the Id security I could probably register in echolink under a different call sign. If a dmr id is determined to be hacked then the host network c bridge can block the Id.

For folks using motorola repeaters it can be taken a step further with motos RAS tool an TH offending id be blocked at the repeater.

A read thru the etsi standards and thru the Motorola trbo system planner will yield the answers you seek. https://www.manualslib.com/products/Motorola-Mototrbo-System-Planner-3537703.html

Your volley.

9. THESPACEMAN

THESPACEMAN QRZ Member

I think the prices for most of this equipment will be dropping shortly.

10. K2WH

Things used to be so easy.

Now its all acronyms:

RD component
    Tier 1
    Tier 2
    RAS
    TH
    ETSI
    MD785
    PD685
    P25mx
    RCC05

Please enough! Yeah, I'm and OT and this stuff just makes my head spin.

Must be for the younger generation.

11. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

That is the farthest thing from the truth. We have digital repeaters around here and 90% of the activity on UHF and VHF is analong.
    That's not to say digital is not used, but analog by far is more popular.
    Barry

AA1PR likes this.
  12. W8NVC

W8NVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be great to see an Hf mobile.

13. N2YQT

N2YQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These are all Tier II radios. They support both time slots.

14. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

there is no accurate way to say analog on one machine on VHF is worse than a co-located machine running DMR on UHF SINCE THIS is an apples to oranges comparison or more so apples to cranberry.

Near me we have 3 mountain top machines, one DMR CRAP and 2 mixed mode machines, one P25 and one system confusion machine.

Using mobiles, xtl2500 on 146 MHZ in mixed made, both 25k BW and a yaesu POS japanese crap mobile on 440 in fusion and analog FM.

The DMR comparison is made by listening to the owner and one other user who attempts mobile use which is always terrible and this done because of the above issues with getting access to the DMR machine which I've given up on.

Even If I did have my own DMR equipment I refuse to send my radios to the repeater owner to be programmed.

Range:
    The range on VHF BETWEEN FM and P25 was similar with analog always providing better coverage at the fringe and while moving, similarly on the system confusion machine analog and confusion in mixed mode was in favor of analog at the coverage fringe and always better in motion.

Mobile stopped, switching modes between FM 25K and P25 or confusion on the respective repeater was not measurable in performance but analog was always superior while in motion.

While mobile neither digital mode was suitable with BER excessive and unsuitable whereas switching to analog while close to 9db SINAD it was still useable.

The DMR repeater is the least used of the 3 while THE CONFUSION and then the P25 repeaters are used more in that order mainly because the MOTO P25 radios being superior are also higher priced than the others and as typical hams refuse to purchase a better American designed product if the price is higher than a POS chicom or japanese POS radio.

Audio is always in favor of analog FM on both MM repeaters, next P25 is superior to DMR and confusion with DMR and system confusion basically providing the same sucky audio.

The local 442.75 DMR machine users are always poor while mobile but since the DMR repeater isn't set for MM use it isn't capable of making a useful comparison to but needless to say the P25 repeater gets most use and more switching to FM on the outer edges of the repeater coverage is always the norm and the same on the system confusion repeater.

15. KB0KBJ

KB0KBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The folks in the midwest can't ragchew about much anything else other than the radio hobby and they all sound like they're in a rush to get off the air since they're imagining someone else with a emergency is lurking around the corner just waiting on them to free up the repeater.
    With that in mind the folks only on analog have run out of things to say while those on digital are still learning and exploring this aspect of the hobby.