ad: MLSons-1

California AB-1785 signed - Bans Ham Radio Usage in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6ZOO, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G7TGY

G7TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a paramedic in the UK (probably 10 or 11 years ago now), the response vehicles that mostly had one person were all fitted with 'hands free' radios - the TX switch was a long stalk pull to make, non latching switch on the steering column. Meant you could keep both hands on the wheel and talk to the dispatcher. Same for the siren controls - most functions were controlled using the horn button.

Still regularly ignored dispatch calls whilst driving on lights and sirens, especially messages that really didn't need answers or responses at that time.

TGY

2. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep voting for Democrats, and you'll lose more rights that this one.

3. KF6FRR

KF6FRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Ladies and Gentleman, it boils down to control. I can see the initial meaning of the bill in regards to a cell phone, lap top computer, and the like. While going to work the other morning a vehicle was approaching me from behind a a great deal of speed. I moved over to the right lane to let who ever was driving pass me. As he passed, I looked over, you won't believe what I saw. This guy was talking on his cell(no big deal right), but he had his lap top open, and propped inside the steering wheel. Obviously this guy needed a hefty ticket. This legislation is totally unnecessary. It refers to distractive driving, I get that, it exempts emergency personnel, I get that as well. It has been challenged in the courts before, and this addition to VC23123.5 of the California Vehicle Code will be as well. You ask how did this pass, because it was added at the wimm of some legislator, introduced on the floor, without due process, just like several other things. More and more legislation added to the books for Law Enforcement to attempt to enforce on top of the laws that are already on the books that Law Enforcement is already tasked with. Bottom line hasn't Federal Law already exempts Amateur Radio from these type of laws because we supplement emergency services?

4. KA1ZFY

KA1ZFY Ham Member QRZ Page

...and a 'cool-down' waiting period, too, in case you're too excited about your impending purchase.

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Furthermore, "It is the policy of ARRL to defend our spectrum from all adversaries, deliberate or random, from all consequences, intended or not." - League CEO, The Noise Frontier, Nov 2016 QST.

It's time to mobilize, err, go mobile! If Founding Father Patrick Henry were a ham today he may have orated, “I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me spectrum or give me death!”

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,

I am still waiting for an apology from NY2RF for calling me an: "officious xxxx-xxxx."

So it looks like correcting someone--nicely--on the facts yields name calling as a response, from Tom Gallagher, NY2RF, CEO of the ARRL.

Chip W1YW

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

A deplorable reaction from NY2RF acting officially as ARRL leadership, especially directed at a well-meaning long time League member.

Sadly though, instead of an email or post, either serious or satirical, patiently reminding haters of a reasonable expectation for a more rational response, they have been wrongly dismissed by proxies as simply "poking and prodding".

73, John

8. KE0OMK

KE0OMK Ham Member QRZ Page

I LEFT CALIFORNIA WHEN JERRY BROWN WAS STILL SHACKED-UP WITH THAT "COKE-NOSE" SINGER. AND I AM GLAD I DID. WITH LUCK THAT STATE WILL
    DROP INTO THE PACIFIC OCEAN, HOWEVER, IT WILL PROBABLY POLLUTE THE WATER.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. W6JWZ

W6JWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

you have to take a test, you have to have knowledge how/where to operate... you are not a common shmoe that just goes to wally world and grabs a radio and uses it. There is "generally" a level of precision that goes with being a ham. Don't be negligent, articulate your decisions, and know your limits. Easily winnable in any court. besides... why are you drawing attention to yourself anyway. Possibly a driver's skill course is in order.

10. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Any cop that enforces such foolishness is a "knucklehead" as well.

W6JWZ likes this.
  11. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the most intelligent comments I've heard yet! Groupthink in this country says the gubmint has all the smarts and morals, some of us have discovered otherwise.

12. WD4DUI

WD4DUI Ham Member QRZ Page

No comments regarding driving is NOT a right. Driving is a privilege and one must obey laws that allow drivers to maintain the privilege to drive.
    I do think the law needs to be polished but the intent makes sense. Nothing like driving behind someone in the left lane (aka PASSING LANE) ten miles under the speed limit because they are texting, yacking on the phone, reading a newspaper or whatever else distracts them. If anyone has ever driven on the Autobahn you will understand how to drive and why it can be dangerous. Bet there are no people texting and driving on the Bahn.
    Nope, we don't need no rules and regs like seatbelts, headlights, & othe SAFETY stuff! Laws gotta start somewhere no matter how flawed the original law may be.
    And with a call sign like mine, I should be commenting on this?
    WD4DUI

W6JWZ likes this.
  13. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Tests do nothing to train how to operate.

There is generally little level of precision since the last dozen years or mo; some have it, the majority dont care its just another CB band

Your last statement shows how little you really know or understand about me or things in general.

Carl
    Ham since 1955 with a REAL Extra Class License since 1967
    Retired USN USNR CWO4, 28 years total

W6JWZ likes this.
  14. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Due to WHAT? C E L L P H O N E S! Not Two Way Radios. The two way radio has not NEAR the impact on driving the CELLPHONE does. So let's go after the real culprit, not that which is not at fault.

15. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nor are there nearly the number of mobile hams.

I say again, put as many hams mobile as there are cellphone users and watch the number of statistics skyrocket.

No way to prove or disprove of course, just an opinion.

On my daily work commute I see maybe a hundred ppl yakking on phones. In the past 10 years I doubt that I've seen ONE ham yakking into a microphone.

Non-existent entities can not create statistics.

W6JWZ likes this.