ad: k1jek

California AB-1785 signed - Bans Ham Radio Usage in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6ZOO, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W2MS

W2MS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cellphone isn't going anywhere the politicians get paid very well by these companies, Ham radio operators have not power at the state level in California, in the politicians have not idea what we do whom we are. W2MS

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised the commercial mobile radio industry hasn't said much of anything. Obviously there's more than just cops and ambulances driving around with mobile radios in their vehicles.

Many small businesses like construction vehicles, delivery drivers, telecommunication utility companies, agriculture companies, many non emergency city and municipal vehicles like municipal water and electric utility companies, city workers, local jails and some state agencies like the health department, tax and revenue, mail carrier operations, city and school bus drivers all use mobile radio's every single day and this obviously has the same impact on them as well too?

To get an idea of the size and scope of who is affected by this exactly, just look at all the licenses issued and frequency allocations listed in the FCC license database to accommodate these business interests in this geographical region to see what I mean.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It hasnt been since the 60's, in fact most of those statements have nothing to do with agriculture

W5LMM likes this.
  4. K6MGK

K6MGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on Guys get over it, its the right thing to do. use wireless there are way to many accidents with texting and talking without the proper equipment.

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

What training do most hams have to do anything useful with their equipment?

6. N9AS

N9AS Ham Member QRZ Page

They can do whatever they want. (whoever they are) I got thrown in jail because there was a warrant out for me. Contempt of Court for failing to show for court duty. I got arrested the first day back after 6 months shipboard when stopped because a tail light was out. I think it's just like when I was in the Marine Corp. It's just a big game out there. Wisdom sometimes helps attitude. Why worry about it or anything for that matter.

7. N9AS

N9AS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, that's a good answer. I like it.

N1EN likes this.
  8. N9AS

N9AS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just saying the same thing to myself an hour ago. Wow, telepathy

9. SWL37632

SWL37632 QRZ Member

According to the Bill analysis section: "...In 2015, there were 12 fatal collisions involving handheld cellphone use as an inattention factor, over 500 injury collisions, and nearly 700 property damage collisions. "

10. W6QT

W6QT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see this as an issue for hams in California. If you use your mobile radio a lot in heavy traffic, it could be a distraction. Like others have pointed out, it hasn't been a problem until now.

AI6YR likes this.
  11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If there were as many mobile hams as there are cellphone users I'm pretty sure there would be quotable statistics to consider, and it wouldn't be in our favor.

12. K4NZ

K4NZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in Florida, so I'm not immediately affected by this ridiculous law, but my fellow operators are, so here's my 2 cents.

I'm sure a good lawyer could bring a civil suit against the state of CA and pick apart this law, based on this analogy. Federal law supersedes state, county and local laws, just ask Colorado. Otherwise, all the states that have taken steps to legalize certain plants would be able to put their profits in the bank.

Because, federal law prohibits the legalization of said plant, federally regulated, banks refuse to allow businesses, who distribute said plant, in the state, to participate in normal business practices. They can't have it both ways.

There shouldn't be selective law enforcement. If a case was ever brought before a judge, it begs the question..would you be in front of a federal or state judge?!

We're regulated under the umbrella of the FCC not California. Maybe the many conversations in this forum can spark a nation wide debate?! Wishful thinking...I know!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  13. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has nothing at all to do with the motor vehicle code. Cell phones operate under licensed spectrum as well - Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc., can make an argument against the law if they wanted to, but using federally licensed spectrum would have zero to do with any argument they made. By that argument, you should be able to watch TV while driving since it's federally licensed. The 21st amendment give you access to alcohol - should you be allowed to drink while driving?

Operating a motor vehicle is not a right. You are licensed by the State to do so. The States make the rules - which vary from State to State.

The law is ambiguous at best. The punishment for the first offence is $20, so no big deal - you're not going to jail.

Steve
    KV6O

K7JEM likes this.
  14. K9SPY

K9SPY Ham Member QRZ Page

Annnnnnd that's why I LEFT... in 2005! Mwahahah! Leave, Man! Just get the heck out... leave California to the vultures.

15. AI6YR

AI6YR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is odd how hams (who for the most part are generally a very pleasant and nice bunch, and polite beyond polite on the airwaves -- impressively so, I must say) devolve to the level of Internet trolls, when they are on the Internet. We're better than that as Ham Radio operators, I would think. 73!