ad: M2Ant-1

WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air, December 27th and 28th

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0ICQ, Dec 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

<big>Merry Christmas!

WW1USA Special Event Station to be On the Air, December 27th and 28th</big>

One-Hundred years ago, a great war was raging across Europe. Regardless of this conflict, a small miracle of peace occurred over the battlefield on Christmas Eve 1914. The Christmas truce (German: Weihnachtsfrieden; French: Trêve de Noël) was a series of widespread, unofficial ceasefires that took place along the Western Front around Christmas 1914, during World War I. Through the week leading up to Christmas, parties of German and British soldiers began to exchange seasonal greetings and songs between their trenches; on occasion, the tension was reduced to the point that individuals would walk across to talk to their opposite numbers bearing gifts. On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, many soldiers from both sides—as well as, to a lesser degree, from French units—independently ventured into "no man's land", where they mingled, exchanging food and souvenirs. As well as joint burial ceremonies, several meetings ended in carol-singing. Troops from both sides were also friendly enough to play games of football with one another, in one of the truce's most enduring images.

Special Event Station WW1USA of the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial will be on the air at Kansas City, Missouri to commemorate this historic event. The Warrensburg Area Amateur Radio Club will sponsor this special operating event at the museum, with assistance from the Joplin Amateur Radio Club from 15:00 UTC on December 27th through 22:00 UTC on December 28th. All Amateur Radio Operators from around the world are invited to participate in this Special Event by contacting WW1USA on the radio. If you’re in Kansas City during the Special Event, all Amateur Radio operators who present an operator license will receive $5 admission to the Museum for themselves and up to three guests. (No other discounts apply.)

Stations making contact with WW1USA during the Special Event can request a Contact Certificate through the ww1usa.org website, December 27, 2014, through January 30, 2015. A QSL Card can be obtained via mail by sending SASE or by providing other return postage. You can also obtain an Electronic QSL Card via eQSL.

For more details, please visit http://ww1usa.org

2. NG1Q

NG1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency will this be on?

3. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! Where will the station(s) be parked?

Where do I expect to find them on the HF dial?

Thanks!

4. WA7SGS

WA7SGS Ham Member QRZ Page

After the ordinary soldiers celebrated the holiday, the officers on both sides made sure there would never be another Xmas truce. Can't have the citizens thinking for themselves now can we?

...and it's one, two three, what are we fighting for? The War To End All Wars that was supposed to make the world safe for democracy did anything but. Too bad an outbreak of peace didn't take root across all the battlelines in 1914 and stick. Getting involved in an European war of the dynasties was the worst thing to happen to the USA. Look how mired we are 100 years later in conflicts all over the planet with many of them being in areas that were severely disrupted by the outcome of the Great War. George Washington warned future generations of Americans about getting involved with European affairs. He turned out to be quite prescient.

My paternal grandfather survived a mustard gas attack in this war. He would be plagued with nightmares and alcoholism, prone to murderous rages which led to two killings and died early for our family's usual lifespan at the age of 68 with severe emphysema. Now all the veterans of that war are dead but the wars go on as does the continued ruining of lives, combatant and noncombatant alike.

Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin.

Rick

5. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Washington did have the right of it. But it's hard to stay out of a war 'over there' when the primary belligerent is doing its utmost to bring the war 'over here' by trying to talk Mexico into invading the US and waging unrestricted submarine warfare on our merchant fleet.

6. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed the Zimmermann Telegram to Mexico was sheer idiocy and the resumption of submarine warfare was a bad decision since Britain was running out of food, but then so was Germany, and when people have their back to the wall they tend to do stupid things. Of course the entire war was foolish and there's plenty of blame to go around, but the Germans handled both strategy and occupation particularly badly. Now one factor in the US involvement was the billions the Allies owed America in war debts; for a cynical view of profit and conflicts read General Smedley Butler's "War is a Racket" speech. But I think it's particularly worth remembering the horrors of this conflict for what it led to--destruction of civil liberties at home (heck, we almost lost ham radio), and a bad peace that soon resulted in conflict not just in Europe but in the Middle East and elsewhere too. We are still living with the fallout of Versailles.

7. WA8FDY

WA8FDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I would really like to participate, but I can not find any reference to time or frequency of operations? Can someone point this out to me, I must have missed something somewhere.
    Thanks & 73
    Doug

8. WX4PBC

WX4PBC Ham Member QRZ Page

This is all I could find. 1600 UTC on Saturday December 27 through 2300 UTC Sunday December 28. Modes will be phone, CW and PSK. See ww1usa.org for more details. Look for frequencies on your favorite DX spotting site.

73, Ray

9. NG1Q

NG1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Follow-up question from my first post. Can this be found in IRLP, EchoLink, etc?

10. N6RLS

N6RLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KB0YYO

KB0YYO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think it will have to be a hunt and pounce situation.

12. W4DAN

W4DAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Good operating practice requires skillful listening technics, and VFO operation.

13. W5RSC

W5RSC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Station is operating on 14.245 at the moment

14. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice signal,got him on first try.

15. KB0YYO

KB0YYO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found them on 40M 7.184 at 1400 central time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.