ad: LZQSLprint-1

Baofeng changes name to Pofung

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK2DOG, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's one that looks like a two element Yagi, and one that looks like a telephone pole. There's also one that looks like a TV, 口, one that looks like someone's watching the Pi channel, 四, and one that looks like a cactus, 出.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen that story related a hundred times over the last thirty years. Yet, I have never seen any figures or statement showing it had any effect on South American sales.j

p.s.
    Digging:

-Snopes says this is untrue, sales were good.
    http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

-This business article relates Mexican petroleum company PEMEX sold gasoline under the brand Nova, and states claim above is myth.
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...r-global-marketing-myths-debunked.html?pg=all

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What about the Mercury Mistake? (Mistique)

4. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

In China, the words Coca-Cola are actually pronounced as "Bite the Wax Tadpole"

5. N7JS

N7JS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They make decent radios for the price but take it back to the drawing board on the name change. The new name sounds like a bacterial disease..."I was swimming in the river and caught a bad case of Pofung" OR "That looks like Pofung on your leg" OR "The Dr. is prescribing antibiotics to treat my Pofung".

6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Borrowing ideas from previous posters, perhaps they should bring back spokesman Joe Isuzu (David Leisure) for some comparison ads!

http://youtu.be/n6OpDGpekkg

"Nothing says CLEAN SIGNAL like POFUNG"! ;-)

7. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Might increase their sales if they named it poon-tang. Sounds like a good Chinese name to me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, no. Before Coca Cola was legally sold in China, individual shop owners came up with their own transliterated signs and pronunciation. When Coca Cola began formal sales, they chose a different set of Chinese characters that include the word Happy.

So, in essence a 'not quite true' story repeated a thousand times....

9. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

For many this still doesn't justify 4x the price. There is only one repeater in this area that I can reliably work with a handheld.
    I use them when I go other places, but overall they see limited use.

There is a few places where the UV-5R actually regressed such as more difficult manual programming, and removal of the semi-functional strength meter.
    I guess the lack of programmable scan (as to only scan the amateur bands) and single squelch setting are my only real gripes. But those are
    easy to cope with for the price.

10. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Go feng yourself!

11. M6RGX

M6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

As it should be HI un DYE....sheesh colonials !

12. M6RGX

M6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

and I thought Yazoo was a tasty piece of pop skirt !

13. M3KXZ

M3KXZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yazoo were always Yazoo. Yazoo only got known as Yaz in North America due to some copyright malarkey, but everywhere else they were still Yazoo. And Yazz is the performing name of Yasmin Evans who was also well known at the end of the 80s. Alison Moyet went on to be known as "Alf" when she went solo after Yazoo. And is now known as Alison Moyet!

14. KB9DFE

KB9DFE Ham Member QRZ Page

The name Hammarlund is probably still available.

15. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Q: Is there a fungus among us?

A: Yes, I am a Pofung guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.