ad: k1jek

New Dual Band Mobile Breaks $250 Barrier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK0SD, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC9SQR

KC9SQR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's much more in depth than I posted on page 3 (and 4), and from what I found on google :)
    Not sure if people just weren't seeing those posts or just didn't understand what I was saying...

Thank you :)
    This is much more clear as to what those functions are and what they do

2. W8QF

W8QF Guest

I have owned a couple of these Chinese radios and can say that the quality is exactly what you should expect from China, poor at very best.

3. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member QRZ Page

U/V inter-band? Is that cross-band repeat?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The trend may be 'PRC' but the effect is devalue. Latest PEW REPORT is value of an American family's assets went down 28% over the last 10 years, with a vast majority since 2008. First time down this much since the 1930's depression. Not a good time to relax and have a beer in the so-called 'global economy'.

Chip W1YW

5. VE1NMK

VE1NMK Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a chance to examine and use one of these recently at a club meeting.
    It isn't possible to enter or change frequency from the mic keypad, which is a must for mobile use.
    Changing bands and entering frequencies from the radio unit itself is an exercise in agony.
    If you are young with non-arthritic hands, very patient, and enjoy a challenge this is the perfect
    radio! The receive and transmit audio was excellent.

VE1NMK

6. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, time for me to chime in here. I don't think there are any VHF/UHF mobile or portable radios that are made in the US, and most of the lower end models have been produced in china... My Yaesu FT2800 and 2900 are. Maybe they can afford to produce the HF rigs in Japan, and that's good. We generally need better quality from our HF rigs.

I have owned HT's from HYS, FDC, Wouxun, Baofeng, Weierwei, Puxing, Yaesu, & Kenwood. I generally compare the FT60R against most of the dual-band chinese ones. Now that the FT60 is about $150-160 for a good quality radio, I won't pay more than $80 for a new chinese one. As far as quality... Baofeng and Wouxun seem to be doing well. I only had one issue with the first UV-2D I purchased, and found a fix for the muffled sounding audio. The 2nd UV2D sounds fine. The Baofeng UV-5R is a decent radio, too. Throw the 3600mAh battery on it, and you can run it for days. I cannot recommend the HYS TC-VU88, though; firmware is too buggy, and the speaker/mic jacks are prone to failure.

That dual band mobile mentioned isn't something I'd go for. It wasn't too long ago that the Yaesu FT7800 was $230 brand new. Yea, I know prices have gone up since then. $250 for a dual band mobile with questionable support. The Alinco DR635T is only a smidge over $300, and the Yaesu FT-7900 is just a bit more. Wow, $100 more than what I paid for the 7800. Anyway, I keep my equipment for a long time (not just in ham radio, but computers, vehicles, etc...) so when I justify an extra $50-100 for something, I look at it this way... Am I going to worry about that extra $100 over a 5 year period? 10 year? Longer? That's the same way I look at used equipment. It's a gamble, and usually I'll pay more for something new, with a warranty, to know I'm not out $xxx in the first year of owning it. If it's used, or being bought with not-rock-solid support, it's gotta be cheap enough.

7. WW8L

WW8L XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats the first thing I noticed too!

8. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Final comment on this thread. Many great idea's and comments on what is wrong with Ham Radio products and their point of origin. As I ask any of my employee's, who come to me with a complaint, what is your solution to the problem. Anyone can point out problems, but few have sound well thought out solutions. We should all work together on solutions to the problem. I will step out and lead the parade by once again requesting and demanding Congress to reverse the trade tariff between China and the US so we are on an equal footing. In case you have not read about it, all US products have a 40% tariff at point of entry in China. All Chinese products have a 4% tariff at point of entry in the USA. If we work together as a team and demand congress change that one law it will give us all and equal opportunity to compete in the global economy.

All the Best to Everyone

I'll do my part, will you?

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

the Chinese make good WIVES too

10. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen! That's all we need more 48 hour dealers at hamfests flooding the market with Chinese crap!
    The ham radio community is not helping by buying this junk.
    "Ask dad, He knows" You only get what you pay for.
    I've been a ham for a long time, Stick with the Yaesu, Kenwood or Icom or other familar name we all know and love!

Question:

If some one says "Penny for my thoughts?" and I give my 2 cents , Where did the other penny go?

If you shoot a mime, Do you have to use a silencer?

-Mark

Mark A. Lacy
    ARRL Asst. Technical Coordinator, STX
    ARRL Certified Teacher / Instructor

11. WZ3O

WZ3O Guest

DITTO.........

12. K6ZRH

K6ZRH Ham Member QRZ Page

Everybody is complaining about "Made in China". How about "Made in Malaysia", "Made in Indonesia", "Made in Kenya", "Made in Obama"? Everybody wants a great radio, durable, more features and most of all "CHEAP"!
    You have to accept the world is changing, Japanese people, also an Asian, made American life easier, from cars, electronics, sushi etc.. and then followed by Koreans, from cars to electronics, kimchi etc.. then followed by the Chinese, from paper clips to noodles, to IPOD, PC and Apple, Nike and chopsticks, and even the "American flag" is made in China. I think most Americans loves cheap goods "Made in Communist China". What Can I say more.....
    :eek:

k6zrh
    Philippine Made

13. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have always felt that when someone does a public criticism they should be REQUIRED to provide a good workable solution, or shut up.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

14. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell us about unfair labor practices, slave labor, child labor, working/living conditions so bad, people are killing themselves to escape them.

If you buy Chinese goods, you not only condone these practices, you encourage them.

Many (Most?) Chinese products are cheap copies of products from other countries. They have no respect for US Patent laws (or any other countries Patent Laws). My Dishtronix DWM-2104A Meter is a prime example of a US Company who outsourced the manufacturing of his product, and he did it to save you money. It is a fine product but a high percentage had to be repaired before he could ship them, and then they copied the Meter and sold it all over the rest of the world... and the only thing he could do was discontinue the product..... From the horses mouth: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?209927-Array-Solutions-Dishtronix-Rip-off-not-really

Who wins? Not you or I.

15. G0TTQ

G0TTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my one about a year ago from the 409shop.com, I received it about 3 weeks later and it works great. Al I paid at that time was $100 shipped, I use it daily with no problem.
    Brain.... G0TTQ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.