ad: M2Ant-1

Amazon Power Failure knocks out QRZ for 12 hours

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC8JD

AC8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like its time to setup some redundancy in another datacenter on the West Coast.

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Give him some raw beef and tuna he will be fine as frog's hair in the morning.

3. K2BEW

K2BEW Guest

Hmmm, not for me at all. And I as on there a lot yesterday.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A single point failure should not take the system down.

I guess the emergency gens did not kick in.

What happened to the nuclear gens ?

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This Cloud compuing isn't all it's hyped up to be.

6. K2BEW

K2BEW Guest

I think that was back in the day when the internet was first created fro the military. Definatly not nucular attack proof now.

A few good solar flares to knock out the grid and we wound all be back in the 1800's isn't it amazing how dependent we are on electricity? Kind of scary really.

7. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, Fred !!! I was quite concerned when late last night, I couldn't access QRZ.com . I was really worried that posting these pictures might have somehow been involved in the conflagration.:)

Censored Goat.jpg

Fractal Antenna.jpg

Good to see the site back up and running.

8. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad my life is a lot more filling than sitting on an amateur radio site all day.

Tom KCØW

9. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

the internet, and real data centers, run on 48v batts, fed by commercial power rectifiers, the batts hold it up until the generators kick in. amazon is just a toy. thanks qrz for letting us play in our spare time. seventhree. k f zero g. cn81 jefferson state.

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't agree with you more.

T-storm cloud 2

Amazon Cloud 0

When Amazon in VA crashed in April 2011 it gained the nickname, 'The Titanic of Clouds'.

FWIW, here are bits of the Amazon error log I snagged whilst the Zed was down.

If a single T-storm can do all that, just think of what another Carrington type event would do!!

The ideal of the Internet was to have many, many nodes connected by many, many (as in redundant) paths like a grid (or web) so that a single, even catastrophic event would not compromise the entire system.

The cloud paradigm is contrary to that and thus is prone to susceptibility. The cloud was made not to be enormously robust, but to be enormously profitable.

11. AA0V

AA0V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think so. The infrastructure <o:p></o:p> has become too dependent upon the system.

12. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

13. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang, that could be put down to song with a tad of effort.

14. KE5NZY

KE5NZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred, and all who work so hard at QRZ.com.

15. AB9VR

AB9VR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats what I thought it was, I logged on to QRZ and my computer wanted to install a "program". I clicked "no" and continued on, next time I tried to look up a call sign QRZ wouldn't load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.