ad: Schulman-1

Yaesu's Newest Transceiver The FTdx3000

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4CLM, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As much as I like my FT-950 I will not be replacing it with the FTDX-3000 if it is in that price range. I'd put my money into a K3.

As far as output controls go. I don't have an issue with my FT-950 not having that being controlled with a dial. Simply hit the CS button, power level comes up and adjust it with the CLAR/VFO dial. Hit the menu button and that is looked after. I can do that in less than 5 seconds.

2. K0RO

K0RO Guest

Jim: Excellent point with comparison to the TS-590S, which from what I see, is a lovely rig. I was torn between a K3, TS-590S and TT Eagle, and came down on the side of the K3 due to future capabilities.

I based my price-point more on the success of the IC-7600; if the IC-7600, which seems feature-similar but with a far less robust receiver (from what we can tell) sells for $3300, I expected similar for this.

As for he TS-590S, the interesting question may not be the comparison/similarities, but the contrasts between the two radios. Will the differences persuade enough people to pay an additional $1500?

Stab in the dark: Someone looking seriously at an IC-7600 may be a different buyer than a TS-590S buyer, and one for whom appearance, TFT and such are more important. Given the looks and features (not specs) of this, I think the target buyer is someone who would already be looking at the 7600.

Thank you for labeling my post well-reasoned...but what do I know?
    Art K0RO

3. W3RXO

W3RXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that rig. My only "modern" solid state rigs, of recent years, have been an IC-7000, TS-570D and TS-480HX, plus I used a friend's IC-746 and a TS-2000, a little.
    BUT, I still really like this display. I have the poster, of the HIGH-END Icom's, from QST issue, a while back, that is staring me in the face right now, and I still say, I personally like this FTdx3000 display, better than any of the ones on the 7000, 7200, 7600, 7700 and 7800.

4. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'm not to the point that I need to spend $2000+ on ONE radio yet. Last two HF rigs I picked up were an 897 with the AT897 tuner for $500, and a TS480SAT for $600. It looks like a nice rig, and looking at the display at Dayton, yea... nice and sharp. I have a feeling I'll be perusing the used market for the foreseeable future, at least for HF rigs.

5. KD4WDG

KD4WDG Ham Member QRZ Page

The only difference between Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu is what floor they are built on in the factory in China and the logo affixed.

KD4WDG

6. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

Big time... WRONG!

7. KD4WDG

KD4WDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Prove it!!

You think that the same components, Mfg. in China and Twain have any different values if they are in Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu PB's are worth a 150% Increase in Base Retail Cost?

A Resistor is a Resistor Etc. Etc.

Happy to see you have the disposal Cash to spend on the HYPE!!

Cheers-N_Beers or the beverage of your choice.

73 KD4WDG

8. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's like saying "a bolt is a bolt" while comparing a Honda against a Yugo.

But your point is well-taken. If only in spirit. Like cars, it's more about the price, the features and how it makes us feel, than about the quality.

If you buy any (i.e.) $1000 radio it'll be about the same as any other in the price-range.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Was thinking about one, too... but for $1000 cheaper! Not $3000 to $3500, but $2000 to $2500.

And I'm NOT a cheapskate!

Perhaps I'll keep the 850S, and buy a pan-adapter.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  10. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has to approve (type accept) any ham rig offered for commercial sale in the US even if it's been designed by hams. As a commercial product it has to meet various spectrum quality standards etc. Any US ham can "roll his/her own" -- but if they offer for sale as a commercial product -- it has to be type accepted by the FCC.

I would assume that ZL's licensing authority's requirements are similar.

11. KE2IV

KE2IV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand your point. So what? Many high-quality electronics products are produced in China (think Apple). Last time I checked, ham radio was still a global hobby so I would hope that gear is designed and made in many places. Competition is good -- and if the rig meets my high standards I don't care where it's made.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  12. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Of which many radio manufacturers can do without the FCC ever seeing the radio. They have on-site facilities to self-approve radios to specs, then submit the paperwork to the FCC. Almost just a formality. Gotta love those open-book tests! 8)

13. W9MB

W9MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it looks like a toy. Maybe a replacement for the FT 950. Not for me. How ANYBODY can say that this looks better than the TS-990 amazes me.

14. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Chinese have been making stuff for over 5 thousand years. If you get something crappy, it's usually because they build it according to cheapskate USA importers specs.

15. N2RRA

N2RRA Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-3000 garbage

Agree 100%!!

Just another YAESU gimmick that will disappoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.