ad: portazero-1

Yaesu Musen

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI4BDS

KI4BDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe Wauxom is reverse engineering from China just like their fast trains.

2. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. They steal the technology, and sell cheap. Does anyone wonder where their pricing will be, ONCE the competition is forced
    out of business or the market place? Enjoy the cheap knockoffs while you can.

Pete

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a serious accusation. Do you have any proof?

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great point Dave!

In guitars, both Fender and Gibson kept the low end competitors at bay with Squire and Epiphones lines, respectively. In fact, its my impression that Epiphone is what's keeping Gibson going right now... they've had some dramatic setbacks in the last few years including recent raids by the USG for allegedly breaking import laws on 'endangered' wood. (No evidence that accusation has substance but a million bucks in product was seized...).

US companies which run the niche high end do well...they've accepted who they are and make decent revenues and profits. But the ceiling is there.

In guitars that's Martin and Rickenbacker, for example.

In ham radio its Ten Tec (which has fine products).

Chip W1YW

5. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Though a relatively small market, I find it hard to believe that there is little money to be made by the "big three" and others in amateur sales. Yes, though likely a moderate piece of business in overall sales relative to other segments, if the return on sales was insufficient they would not be in the amateur marketplace.

6. W4BOH

W4BOH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom rewards ham customers by charging more for repairs than the cost of replacement radios!
    That can't work in the hobby world!
    My state has spent untold millions with M. and my local government now wants to spend millions more to make it work for us! That's quality we don't need.
    Now, if we could spend tax money on ham radio the possibilities open up somewhat!
    Wilson
    W4BOH

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

They might not.

If Wouxan and other PRC firms execute their strategies you'll be using software defined radio from PRC , almost exclusively, by 2020.

I LIKE my ICOM's. I don't care that its a box of parts and not some lil ol module ;-)

I am sure that Yaesu owners feel the same way about their radios.

Chip W1YW

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM has got some bad raps on repairs. Some of it was true and justified. I just sent out my IC7700 for repair after Thanksgiving--power surge blew out PS--and it was returned promptly; fairly priced for the fix; and works fine.

No complaints.

Chip W1YW

9. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu is doing what Moto did just a year or two ago -- divesting itself of questionable business segments. Moto dumped its unprofitable cellular division (and other non-LMR divisions in earlier years) to concentrate on their quite profitable PSMR and LMR business only. It's called focus.

I suspect Yaesu is doing the same thing, concentrating on what they do best. After closer inspection, I'm sure Moto liked what they saw in Vertex's conventional LMR product line -- something Moto hasn't concentrated on in numerous years, and made a respectable offer for it. I'm sure it was a mutually beneficial move for both orgs -- providing that needed focus today.

Just my take... and I suspect Yaesu will emerge stronger for it.

10. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I very much enjoy my Yaesu equipment as well as what little Icom equipment I have. After these many years I've yet to use Kenwood equipment for no particular reason.

I want to see these companies continue to provide their excellent product for many more years. I agree though, that the PRC presents a formidable threat which will be difficult to overcome.

I remain hopeful.

N6MEJ/Jerry

11. W4HM

W4HM Ham Member QRZ Page

China has embraced capitalism but not a democratic system of government (or actually a representative republic system as in the U.S.) So to me they represent a worst case scenario, out of control greed with no morals or ethics to keep bad behavior in check and certainly no freedom.

Of course though here in the U.S. we long ago embraced out of control greed with no morals or ethics and China has used us an an example. Our personal freedoms have also been eroded in the past ten years.

Just my .05 cents (due to inflation).

12. K4AEC

K4AEC Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. I've usually SAR Technical Services, an independtly-owned, ICOM Service Center in Michigan for all my ICOM repairs, and the service has been fast, good, and quite reasonable.

Larry
    KG4GPJ

13. N8YN

N8YN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A lot of good threads on this subject and to KB1RXA I say amen and I concur 100%

73, N8YN

14. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... Think about it--even I bought two wouxan's at 99 bucks a pop. What does ICOM, or YAESU, or even Motorola have thats comparable for 'value'?

Quality control. A demonstrable history of quality rigs. Service and support.

I define "value" a little differently. If a HT doesn't not properly transmit a couple CTCSS tone/frequency combinations (making it impossible to hit a couple repeaters I can literally SEE) ... have non-standard antenna connectors ... are unintuitive to manually program - I could care less about its cost. Just because a radio is $99 does not necessarily make it a "bargain."

Those problems are unacceptable in ANY amateur HT that I will promote.

What you get with saving up a little more money and getting a new Yaesu FT-60R is (a) a proven model, (b) wide receive out of the box, and (c) a great battery situation (using the optional FBA-25 alkaline case, you have full TX power available (if needed) with either alkalines or NiMH cells). And a unit with the strongest belt clip available on any ham HT. And a sturdier unit physically. And a radio that you can program manually quite easily.

At US$160, the FT-60R continues to be a true "bargain" and value in the amateur radio marketplace.

Just my opinion, of course.

15. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

You are correct on "Yaesu". Yaesu is a neighborhood in Chūō, Tokyo, Japan, and the proper pronunciation is Ya - a - su (the first "a" is a short "a", and the second a is a long "a".

As to Musen (Mu sen)... the literal Japanese translation I believe is "wireless."

Thus, you have Yaesu Wireless, or Yaesu Radio to most folks. The Brits also generally still call radio "wireless."

As most of you know, Jun Hasegawa is the son of Yaesu Musen's founder Sako Hasegawa JA1MP, who passed away in 1990. The top-of-the-line of a given model has the "MP" suffix to honor him.

If I'm incorrect on any of this, Dennis K7BV, or ex-Yaesu Chip K7JA, please jump in and correct me!

Don W9CW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.