ad: portazero-1

Amateur Radio Balloon crosses the Atlantic

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8KBF

W8KBF Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is PART of the FAA rules Part 101 on balloons: The full rules are at http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/part101.html

101.35 Equipment and marking requirements.

(a) No person may operate an unmanned free balloon unless-

(1) It is equipped with at least two payload cut-down systems or
    devices that operate independently of each other;

(2) At least two methods, systems, devices, or combinations
    thereof, that function independently of each other, are employed
    for terminating the flight of the balloon envelope; and

(3) The balloon envelope is equipped with a radar reflective
    device(s) or material that will present an echo to surface radar
    operating in the 200 MHz to 2700 MHz frequency range.

The operator shall activate the appropriate devices required by
    paragraphs (a) (1) and (2) of this section when weather conditions
    are less than those prescribed for operation under this subpart, or
    if a malfunction or any other reason makes the further operation
    hazardous to other air traffic or to persons and property on the
    surface.

(b) No person may operate an unmanned free balloon below 60,000
    feet standard pressure altitude between sunset and sunrise (as
    corrected to the altitude of operation) unless the balloon and its
    attachments and payload, whether or not they become separated
    during the operation, are equipped with lights that are visible for
    at least 5 miles and have a flash frequency of at least 40, and not
    more than 100, cycles per minute.

(c) No person may operate an unmanned free balloon that is equipped
    with a trailing antenna that requires an impact force of more than
    50 pounds to break it at any point, unless the antenna has colored
    pennants or streamers that are attached at not more than 50 foot
    intervals and that are visible for at least one mile.

(d) No person may operate between sunrise and sunset an unmanned
    free balloon that is equipped with a suspension device (other than
    a highly conspicuously colored open parachute) more than 50 feet
    along, unless the suspension device is colored in alternate bands
    of high conspicuity colors or has colored pennants or streamers
    attached which are visible for at least one mile.

(Sec. 6(c), Department of Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. 1655(c)))

[Doc. No. 1457, Amdt. 101-1, 29 FR 47, Jan. 3, 1964, as amended by
    Amdt. 101-2, 32 FR 5254, Mar. 29, 1967; Amdt. 101-4, 39 FR 22252, June
    21, 1974]

101.37 Notice requirements.

(a) Prelaunch notice : Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this
    section, no person may operate an unmanned free balloon unless,
    within 6 to 24 hours before beginning the operation, he gives the
    following information to the FAA ATC facility that is nearest to
    the place of intended operation:

(1) The balloon identification.

(2) The estimated date and time of launching, amended as necessary
    to remain within plus or minus 30 minutes.

(3) The location of the launching site.

(4) The cruising altitude.

(5) The forecast trajectory and estimated time to cruising altitude
    or 60,000 feet standard pressure altitude, whichever is lower.

(6) The length and diameter of the balloon, length of the
    suspension device, weight of the payload, and length of the
    trailing antenna.

(7) The duration of flight.

(8) The forecast time and location of impact with the surface of
    the earth.

(b) For solar or cosmic disturbance investigations involving a
    critical time element, the information in paragraph (a) of this
    section shall be given within 30 minutes to 24 hours before
    beginning the operation.

(c) Cancellation notice : If the operation is canceled, the person
    who intended to conduct the operation shall immediately notify the
    nearest FAA ATC facility.

(d) Launch notice : Each person operating an unmanned free balloon
    shall notify the nearest FAA or military ATC facility of the launch
    time immediately after the balloon is launched.

101.39 Balloon position reports.

(a) Each person operating an unmanned free balloon shall:

(1) Unless ATC requires otherwise, monitor the course of the
    balloon and record its position at least every two hours; and

(2) Forward any balloon position reports requested by ATC.

(b) One hour before beginning descent, each person operating an
    unmanned free balloon shall forward to the nearest FAA ATC facility
    the following information regarding the balloon:

(1) The current geographical position.

(2) The altitude.

(3) The forecast time of penetration of 60,000 feet standard
    pressure altitude (if applicable).

(4) The forecast trajectory for the balance of the flight.

(5) The forecast time and location of impact with the surface of
    the earth.

(c) If a balloon position report is not recorded for any two-hour
    period of flight, the person operating an unmanned free balloon
    shall immediately notify the nearest FAA ATC facility. The notice
    shall include the last recorded position and any revision of the
    forecast trajectory. The nearest FAA ATC facility shall be notified
    immediately when tracking of the balloon is re-established.

(d) Each person operating an unmanned free balloon shall notify the
    nearest FAA ATC facility when the operation is ended.

2. M6UPU

M6UPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Its worth pointing out here that there was no intention of this being a transatlantic flight therefore no provision was made to actively comply with local (European) legislation. This balloon was to be a "floater" launching after sunset as normally these latex balloons are degraded quickly by the U/V of daytime. I assume the intention was that at sunrise the next day the balloon would either rise and burst and/or the latex would degrade and the outcome would be the same.

The situation where the latex balloon managed a full day in the sunlight is practically unheard of and given America isn't a small place the balloon was extremely likely to burst within its borders. However the balloon had other ideas and the rest is history.

Personally I feel the arguement about legislation is mute as there was no intention at all to flout any laws or regulations.What I saw was people across the globe working together in a genuinely exciting and interesting project which is exactly what this hobby of ours is about.

For the record the only people I can think who may have been put out were the FSK441 guys doing Meteor Scatter on the Geminids who were within range of the balloon. I understand there are projects whos goal is to deliberately cross the Atlantic whos payloads will comply with local legislation and our restrictive laws about airborne use in the UK.

Fantastic effort from the CNSP and everyone around the world who helped out with the great community effort.

Anthony / 2E0UPU

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. M6UPU

M6UPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Did I say Mute ? Sorry I meant dumb.

Cheers!

Anthony

5. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

To all those who have attempted to cast a dark, dark cloud over this momentous achievement, this shining example of the indomitable spirit of man (or woman), this incredible display of perseverance in spite of terrible odds............................................

STUFF IT!

(I mean this in the nicest way!) :)

6. WD8FM

WD8FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I bet you just made a bunch of friends, rookie. You dont need to slam our country and our licensing authority because you dont like the replies or people questioning your comments. I would not slam your country or its rules. If you have got a problem with a rules violation, file a complaint with the Rule Makers.

7. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

While I truly hate to wade into this...and I have not operated portable EA (yet)....I can offer this:

A few years back I operated APRS in Canada while mobile. Before heading up I had a nice chat with the fine folks from the RAC (representing the polite folks to our north...except when it comes to hockey then its gloves off right, eh?). In Canada the notion is when it comes to APRS changing your Call Sign was/is(?) not a major issue. Your GPS coordinates in the packet transmitted by APRS identify your precise location and therefore keep you legal for the ID rules and regs. The logic I may offer here for our grumpy Scot who has a thistle up his whistle is the call prefixes are often used to know where the ham who is offending is located. In this case the APRS beacon gave a precise location at all times (well almost I think it had a few bad packets early on in the US). I would think the intent and spirit of the law have been more than met.

Let the complaining begin and someone give our grizzly Scot some Irish Whiskey. :)

8. KT4NR

KT4NR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd separately like to note previous attempts were aimed at using a lower altitude to do this and depending on trade winds. Those flights had contingencies to comply with handling being able to kill the flight remotely and HF beacons. This flight chose a higher altitude where nothing but a U2 or SR71 will be flying about. It was, as accurately noted many times, not intended to cross the pond. So, as Chris Columbus can note, stuff happens. He wanted Indian Spices and found a 'New World'. Our California friends did more than that, they inspired many people to try balloons, grabbed the attention of folks in and out of the hobby around the world, and did it in a spectacular fashion!

9. K6MFW

K6MFW Ham Member QRZ Page

>"This flight chose a higher altitude where nothing but a U2 or SR71 will be flying about."

actually the balloon flew higher than the SR-71 (in the 90K region but SR71 no longer operational) and U2 (in the 70K to 80K). SR-71 limiting factor was heating, its engines could push it higher and faster but titanium skin can handle only so much heat.

Back to the balloon, consider it flew above all kinds of storms as there really isn't much of weather above 100K. Another thing is above 100K is virtual space so you all that want to test various materials in space like what NASA did with the LDEF, now's your chance!

>"So, as Chris Columbus can note, stuff happens. "

Exactly.
    Unfortunately there are so many people all caught up in rules and regulations. Ham radio is one of those few places remaining where commoners and smucks like you and me can do experiments and exploration. Ron Meadows has studied the FCC rules, he has consulted with many other balloonists. Ron corresponds with the FAA. So you all that scream rules are broken, so far FCC and FAA have said nothing. It just amazes me that some people ain't got anything else to do but are destined to squelch progress in the name of "rules enforcement" but ignore things that regularly kill people all the time.

10. K2WH

Well, I guess the next time I take my HT with me from NY to Moscow, that would also qualify as a momentous achievement. BTW, when I was a little kid, we used to put postcards (remember them) on helium filled balloons. I guess that's kinda sort of the same thing. Launched from Jersey City, NJ, we did get one back from Scarsdale NY. A momentous achievement for sure.

I'm not trying to put a wet blanket on this, but I fail to see the acheivement of putting an APRS xmitter on a balloon. Is the acheivement the fact that the balloon went as far as it did or was it the fact it went so far with a ham xmitter on it? Or maybe the fact it was tracked with APRS software from a height never before achieved?

Putting ham satellites in space is a momentous achievement. Playing with balloons? I'm not so sure.

Inquiring minds want to know.

K2WH

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is like the old 'telephone game' where one person passes a message which is then sent on to another and another until the last person recites the message and it has nothing to do with the original! The first post was pretty much a statement of fact and after a bit things went awry. :rolleyes:

12. K2WH

13. W8KBF

W8KBF Ham Member QRZ Page

The balloon didn't rise from ground level to 100,000 ft in a second. It did spend time in commercial air space. That is what the FAA is concerned about. All's well that ends well. I'm happy the balloon flight was a success.

14. N5VEI

N5VEI Ham Member QRZ Page

K2WH I understand what you are saying, but totally disagree. If it so easy, then try it yourself. I have, and it is hard to get your calculations right, coordinate with FAA, engineer the systems to survive EXTREME temps and UV radiation, as well as just coming up with accurate measuring and filling mechanisms. It is easy if you want to throw one up for the fun of it, but to get data and possibly pictures back - that is another story. Just saying....
    If you are interested go to www.tinyurl.com/otmsradio and look around the balloon related pages/photos.
    Bill R.
    N5VEI

15. K2WH

While it is noble to try this, and after looking at the suggested images on the supplied website, it is impressive the amount of work that goes into getting the balloon launched. But, you are basically making my point. While I'm sure it is exciting to all involved, but all the preperation and interaction with the necessary powers to get the balloon launched really has nothing to do with amateur radio but has everything to do with negotiation skills and interaction with governmental agencies.

Basically the balloon enthusiast are working with, managing and getting clearance from numerous federal agencies to launch a balloon which will be carrying a transmitter and camera. So, all the work is in the planning and paper work not in the technology. The technology being a simple APRS xmitter on the end of the balloon.

Kudos for the duration of the flight and the flight planners.

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.