ad: AbAuRe-1

Unusual Callsign Activity at QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5JKX

KD5JKX Ham Member QRZ Page

lookup counts and who is

First, did you do a whois on the IP in question? What country and isp? With all the information, you may be able to contact the offending isp and either get information or supply them with information of a problem so they can deal with the owner of that IP.

Second, the counters are useful--- if you didn't have the counter, would you have identified suspect searches? It, in this case, provided clues.

I think the counter is useful. If you are contesting and you look up a name and they have a very low count, then you have a reason to look harder at your contact to verify that you have copied it correctly.

just my 2 cents worth.

2. W7OIL

W7OIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Unusual Activity:

From Dan - W7OIL
    I looked at the calls being affected and the only one that could be "legit" would be W1AW. I can see how it could have 175000+ lookups. The rest - reset them.

3. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it hard to believe that someone would do this on purpose. If this happens again, "zero out" the lookups for those who abuse the system....that will teach them a lesson.

4. WE0H

WE0H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy solution, block those IP's permanently and eliminate that callsign lookup number ;)

Mike

5. MM6DOS

MM6DOS Ham Member QRZ Page

By definition this probably is a D.O.S attack. After all it did cause an undue load on the server(s).

I haven't used the biography editor much myself so I don't even know if this is possible, but please ensure this site isn't now serving up malware to people who query those callsigns!

I find the lookup count useful as it provides an indication of the general level of activity from the callsign. Although if people are trying to inflate their own lookups I'd sooner see it removed.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. N0LOH

N0LOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Get rid of it and replace it.

I think you should just do away with the lookup counter altogether, because it obviously does not reflect accurately the number of actual lookups by actual people if search-bot hits are counted.

With the implementation of your logbook, I would say replace the lookup counter with a counter of confirmed QSO's. It would be harder to inflate, and may be a more accurate indication of that station's activity on air and on QRZ.Com.

7. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

Blocks in the forewall

Did you do a lookup on the IP addresses to see where this activity originated?

8. G4LNA

G4LNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Not always possible if it's though a proxy, which is really easy to set up.

9. K7MHI

K7MHI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

cant you modify the lookup count anyway? if I wanted to show off wouldn't I just put 1 Million lookups and say its for real?

10. W6GX

W6GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you can. When I got my new vanity callsign I transferred my lookup count from my old callsign to the new callsign. You could put down any number you want.

Jonathan W6GX

11. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

Look Up Count

Well if they were doing it to ramp up their look-up count they are an idiot because all they have to do is edit their info and change the count...............WTH?

Surely it is some other activity.

Randall

12. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's caused by the lookup feature installed on other websites linking to the QRZ site.

13. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some callsigns on that list are so well known and have been contacted (heard) for years and years. I can believe the counts for the following:

K5D
    CO8LY
    IT9RYH
    TI8II
    VQ9LA
    V51AS
    TL0A

14. KB1HKN

KB1HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

15. KQ7W

KQ7W Ham Member QRZ Page

this reminds me of the da0hq IARU scandal