ad: cq2k-1

OFFICIAL FCC UPDATE REGARDING 97.113 (status = resolution)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE4SKY, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought amateur radio was under the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, and that rules enforcement was under the Enforcement Bureau.

Besides the actual questions that were posed are not posted, and neither are any direct quotes of any official, so we have no way of knowing how much of this is just out of context spin.

It also seems to contradict the guidelines the ARRL just published to some extent. Didn't the ARRL talk to the FCC too?

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, The recent ARRL document Commercialization of Amateur Radio: The Rules, The Risks, The Issues http://www.arrl.org/news/files/ARRL_AppropriateUseGuidelines.pdf

specifically warned against individual amateurs asking the FCC for informal interpretions of the rules:

3. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

Ayup. Watch out what you ask for...

We don't seem to LEARN!

Cortland
    KA5S

4. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nail hit squarely on the head. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at the FCC when this hits the fan.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Won't happen. It was abducted by Aliens...(who talk like Donald Duck on SSB, just like in "Mars Attacks!" )

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And THAT message (regarding asking the FCC to clarify minutae of the rules, or every little quibble) has been going on for OVER ten years, and the Amateurs were warned that if they become TOO bothersome about interpreting regulations to some individual's personal liking, the FCC COULD come down hard and make such stringent rules that NOBODY would be happy.

7. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

What we have going on is a rather small, compared to the 600k licenses outstanding, group of newcomers who what to tailor part 97 to fit what they want the service to become. This is the problem with any group. There will always be those who can't accept the way the rules are written because it prohibits the activities they think should be allowed. So instead of seeking out the radio service that fits their needs, they are trying to change amateur radio into the backup public service band and cheaper easier version of part 90. These people are a threat to the amateur service. They are not hams! They are public service _(fill in the blanks)____ who seek to take our bands and reallocate them for ecomm.

Look at the original poster, he has 59 posts here on the zed with 40+ being related to ecomm. He advocates using any and all ham bands for ecomm use. By looking at what he has written, he is pretty set on destroying the amateur service as we know it.

8. KF5S

KF5S Ham Member QRZ Page

IN CASE ANYONE IS WONDERING, HERE IS THE MISSION OF THE PSHSB...
    "To collaborate with the public safety community, industry and other government entities to license, facilitate, restore and recover communications services used by the citizens of the United States, including first responders, before, during and after emergencies by disseminating critical information to the public and by implementing the Commission's policy initiatives."
    They wasted their time posting their opinion of how they want the rules to read. This issue isn't going to just jump up and go away until Ms Laura Smith steps in and makes a judgement call here. After all, she helped to open this can of worms, and not too many hams trust the opinion of ARRL and their "ad-hoc" committee.. their time to take action has passed, I am afraid that Ms Smith is going to have to step in and revisit this issue, and at this point, I would welcome her expertise over the ARRL's. PSHSB... what a joke.

9. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

An official warning letter and threats of fine will help some of these ecomm'rs knock it off. And for those that don't get it, fines will be fine by me.

10. KG4CIU

KG4CIU Ham Member QRZ Page

whos' really dangerous to amateur radio

We really need to put this "issue" to bed as our squabbling over it will draw some attention that none of us will enjoy.

part 97.1 a

Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service
    to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service,
    particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.</pre>We have endured many threats of loss of spectrum and loss of primary protective status in many amateur bands, these threats were fought off time and time again by the Emcomm crowd and several Gov't and public agencies weighed in on on how valuable this spectrum is to amateur radio operators ability to fulfill part 97.1 A.

I not saying we should just hand over the Amateur radio service for EMCOMM but lets not be naive. we occupy a lot of very valuable spectrum the FCC has a duty to manage this spectrum in a manner that will best serve the public interest,If some commercial interest can articulate that they can be better stewards of our spectrum and provide a greater service to the public , you best believe that the FCC will cash their check.
    and you and I will have to pay to play radio. if you don't belive me just do a little research on Amateur radio service spectrum loss.

Ask your self who is really a danger to the amateur radio service --persons desiring to become one of us to help others in times of need or those entities that want our spectrum and nothing to do with us Amateur radio operators

11. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the biggest myth. These ecomm ninjas will have you thinking that they are being called into action every week and its darn near a full time job. They're not. All they do is hold nets, drills, and give out titles and ranks to signify importance. It seems that anyone who got into the hobby post 9/11 or Katrina has little interest in radio for the merits of radio but rather is mystery life saving abilities.

Part 97 is clear on what can and can't be done. Those seeking the exemptions and modifications are the ones that are the danger to the hobby. If they get their way, every volunteer fire department will be arming it firemen with newly minted callsigns and HTs. News outlets will be paying for field reports from a cadre of ecomm'rs chasing the red and blue lights. Business will include ham radio not just as a back up plan but will get the idea to start using it for normal business operations. Security companies will be outfitting guards with mobile radios and HT's. If the provisions on pecuniary interest are removed, the hobby is gone and gone forever, relegated to likes of part 90, FRS, and CB all rolled into one. Part 97 is the only thing stopping the theft of the bands.

12. KG6AHU

KG6AHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm...newbie...first post...tech licensed less than a year...sky-is-falling-because-of-anti-emcommers...

Somebody's gonna need to don their whacker asbestos undies methinks...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, he founded some ecomm group. Hey, everyone this newly minted ham is going to save your but when the flood waters rise. So you better bow down to them now and give over the bands. Me, I live on a big hill and have two kayaks so I am not worried about the doom and gloom these whackers are selling.

14. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Holy wackertastic gods of all things reflective. You have to go to this guys website, or the group he founded.
    http://wc4rav.org/

Here are some excerpts, screaming of whackerism in all its reflective glory.

This site is screaming echos of the mall ninja.

[​IMG]

15. KB4YKJ

KB4YKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No thank you

After retiring from 24 years in law enforcement, I have no intention or desire to join any group of wanna bees be it ECON, AREAS, or RACES. Was approached about AREAS one time and the guy told me to fill out an application. Noticed it wanted my social security number for a background check. Told the guy what made him think I had that much trust in him to write it down?

In all my long years of ham radio I have found these groups have too many chiefs, not enough Indians, too much pettiness and way too much ass kissing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.