ad: k1jek

LimeSDR now open on Crowd Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9GB, Apr 28, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LimeSDR:
    Flexible, Next-generation, Open Source Software Defined Radio

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Crowd Supply for LimeSDR opened April 28.
    https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-mi...il&utm_term=0_1e5a81cd57-cf8327182f-112293985
    ==
    Features & Specifications
    • RF Transceiver: Lime Microsystems LMS7002M MIMO FPRF (Datasheet)
    • FPGA: Altera Cyclone IV EP4CE40F23 - also compatible with EP4CE30F23
    • Memory: 256 MBytes DDR2 SDRAM
    • USB 3.0 controller: Cypress USB 3.0 CYUSB3014-BZXC
    • Oscillator: Rakon RPT7050A @30.72MHz (Datasheet)
    • Continuous frequency range: 100 kHz – 3.8 GHz
    • Bandwidth: 61.44 MHz
    • RF connection: 10 U.FL connectors (6 RX, 4 TX)
    • Power Output (CW): up to 10 dBm
    • Multiplexing: 2x2 MIMO
    • Power: micro USB connector or optional external power supply
    • Status indicators: programmable LEDs
    • Dimensions: 100 mm x 60 mm
    Video On LimeSDR web site.
    http://limesdr.org

It appears that Simon Brown, G4ELI and Paul Jones, NN4F are early participant/funders for LimeSDR.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. W9FTV

W9FTV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks very interesting. I'll have to look into it further.

3. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The $199 Early Bird price is very good. The similar bladeRF SDR (based on the previous generation Lime part) is $420. I'm not a big fan of U.FL connectors though.

4. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

one of these and a tablet and holy crap!

5. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

how does this compare to the $130 SDRPLAY device?

6. W6RZ

1) It's transmit capable. However, power output is only 10 milliwatts.

2) It's two complete full-duplex transceivers. This is targeted at commercial MIMO applications, but can be used for other things like diversity reception or direction finding.

7. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I took the chance and jumped in. I have a few RTL dongles and a Hack-RF. I like the specs and 10 antenna ports, wow. It looks like I need to get a portable computer now.

Larry, WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

8. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a WIMO, so you are sending 100 kHz to 3.8 GHz over WiFi from the ham shack to a computer SDR receive only software or a operating QRPp from a virtual tranceiver software on a tablet at your recliner chair?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  9. NV2K

NV2K Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, 10dBm is certainly QRP -- QRPp, even, right? RCA phono connectors used to be very popular in QRP, right? The U.FL connector is like a miniature RCA phono connector. So it's appropriate for "minature QRP" (QRPp), right? ;^)

I don't think amateur radio is the principal market in the business plan; the Interweb (or is that the World Wide Net?) of Things (IoT) seems to be. The most antenna adjusting most people there want to do is, like, none at all. Plug them in and forget them. U.FL connectors are not good for experimenters who want a lot of connect-disconnect cycles.

I agree that the U.FL connectors are not the most attractive choice. But the enormity of the WLAN market means U.FL to SMA|BNC|TNC patch cables are easy to obtain.

What puzzles me is the numbers on the Crowdsupply site. Their goal is US $500K, and (as of just a few minutes ago) 3/4 of the initial 500 units have been committed, but they're only at 17% of their funding goal.

10. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

That would be 61.44MHz of spectrum over WiFi. That would be a bit much to view. A reasonable chunk of spectrum would be much less than the max. I went for the $499 package. The cheap ones are almost gone at this time.

Larry, WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

11. W6RZ

It should be noted that this is a general purpose SDR. You can transmit and receive any waveform, from CW and SSB to wideband OFDM and other exotic waveforms.

As it turns out, it's very difficult to do a WiFi transceiver with a computer driven SDR due to the short ack timing window. Processing latency makes it almost impossible.

12. NC4DX

NC4DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are SDRs not illegal under the outdated ECPA1986? It's time we had the cellular block provision repealed

13. W6RZ

They are sold as electronic test equipment.

14. KD4E

KD4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish they phased the availability of the cheapest entry-category so as word travels those newly aware are not already locked-out of access.
    Perhaps 100 each week for 5 weeks or some other distribution?
    It seems lots of potential adopters, who learned about a new device a little later, may be turned-away - disappointed with the huge entry-level cost jump.
    This is an interesting project & perhaps cost will drop when it reaches mass production status?
    Looks to have EMCOMM and other interesting potential.
    IMHO, YMMV ... 73, David KD4E

15. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The LimeSDR Team posted this notice, earlier today.
    https://www.crowdsupply.com/lime-mi...il&utm_term=0_1e5a81cd57-cf8327182f-112293985
    --
    A Big Thank You!

First, a big thank you to all our backers. With your support, we hit 20% of our campaign target in just over 24 hours and all 500 of the first flock of early bird boards were pledged within 32 hours. This is phenomenal! We have been blown away by the support and excitement from you, our community. Thank you!

Our mission is to democratise wireless innovation. Anybody should have access to this technology and be able to create innovative, game changing solutions. The level of support we have received from all of you has gone a long way to reassure us that we have made a great start in achieving our mission.

We are now confident that the LimeSDR campaign can jump start this democratisation. When we successfully reach our target and have delivered on our commitment, the work doesn’t stop there either. We will continue to work on the LimeSDR platform to improve it, together with the help of the community.

We are also working with the key players in the wireless industry and have been partnering with innovators and organizations, including EE/British Telecom, who share our vision to bring the power of open source innovation to wireless communications in a way that has never been done before.

As a result of the early success of our campaign, we are gathering further support from our manufacturers and suppliers and are now able to offer new pledge levels, including an additional flock of 500 early bird LimeSDR boards boards at a reduced price of $249. This is a significant reduction from the retail price of $299. Those who have already signed up for the $299 LimeSDR will instead pay the reduced price - your order will be amended and an updated order confirmation email will be sent to you within the next 24 hours.

We have big announcements in the pipeline, and our plan is to send you regular updates throughout the campaign. These will include exciting partnerships and new pledge levels as we see the growth of our supporters. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
    Jessica and the LimeSDR Team