ad: QuirkyQRP-1

India launches ham radio satellites

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

India launches ham radio satellites

On June 22 the Indian Space Agency ISRO successfully launched several satellites carrying amateur radio payloads

The CSAT Swayam satellite was one of those launched. The 1U CubeSat carries a digital store and forward messaging system for use by the amateur radio community.

Rupesh Lad VU2LRD / VU2COE from the College of Engineering Pune CSAT Team says:

"We are eagerly waiting for your reception report of CW Morse Beacon at 437.025 MHz. You can also get the decoded Beacon Data by entering beacon in Swayam Beacon Decoder available on our website."

The post launch TLEs for tracking the satellite are at
    http://www.coep.org.in/csat

Download the COEP Swayam Leaflet PDF
    https://ukamsat.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/coep-swayam-summary.pdf

Frequencies of other satellites on the launch
    https://amsat-uk.org/2016/05/25/amateur-satellite-launch-from-india/

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2016/june/india-launches-ham-radio-satellites.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a big fan of India's space program and of China's program! Go folks go!

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I missing something here? Looking at the listing of frequencies for all the satellites, it looks like the only one with useful features for the general ham community got scratched. Partnerships between the amateur community and non-amateur groups to build satellites that serve our interests as well as theirs are great, but so often, it looks like we're letting them use our frequencies with no consideration for us. Perhaps, there are plans to rectify that in the future with more ambitious launches. I'm all in favor of adding new players to the space race.

4. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

congratulation-badhai

congratulations- badhaiyaan

heartiest congratulations- haardik badhaiyaan

to congratulate- badhai dena

for 'good luck' or 'all the best' we say

'shubhkaamnaayein'
    ex.
    All the best for ur success

aapki saphalta ke liye shubhkaamnayein

i would like to say that even if u say god bless u, everyone will understand

5. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SWAYAM has a two-way digital communications package (and store and forward messaging as well).

6. KE0RG

KE0RG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm... A learning moment for me, teaching moment for someone...

Is there a transceiver that can do this at 437.025 MHz, or do I have to build my own? I know that I can get an FM rig to do AFSK... but BFSK???

I have much to learn. Haven't tried FSK, PSK, or Satellites yet.

Thanks for any education you guys and gals are willing to dispense.

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope in the near future we'll also put up a few geosynchronous satellites that people all over NA can see and hit. A lot of these cubesats were done by college engineering departments.

Ok, so let's figure out what band/mode we would like for our cubesats, and what geosynchronous coverage area (so we can all see them basically all the time--no orbits).

And lastly--how to get it up there (I have no idea how they do this. I imagine that is the spendy part).

Whose with me! :D

8. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

already in progress... here's one presentation but there are actually 2 (or 3?) efforts going on simultaneously:

9. KA2CZU

I believe there is a sw/hw combo used by the swayam team for some of the telemetry on this sat, but cw can be decoded
    and fed into their site for general reporting...

10. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

$1000 for a ground station. Might as well buy a d- star radio. Or a cell phone. Hi Hi

11. KA2CZU

$1000 is for a "buy it" station, less if you build, of course. D-star or cell phone is fine, but won't get you on this bird, that's all :D

I think the $ required is less depending on your existing setup, they are just insuring that something is available for those who are able and want to buy a solution.